Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Run Run Rudolph***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 30, 2021.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

747AFCB2-7AD5-4AE8-B9B9-E65E189128FC.jpeg

Saw this at the Harrah collection in Reno today

2. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

B6C9F83F-CA1B-4332-A326-8737A4F3FE43.jpeg Someone on IG is looking for an Alexander setup like this...

Charlville, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  3. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

That's a sweet coupe, and I hear ya about taking apart a running car!

winduptoy likes this.
  4. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hello Calcoy,
    I’ll say a prayer for return of your good health !!
    I’m in basically same health as you describe for yourself. I’m still in hospital bed and plenty sick of it after weeks. Got second back operation this coming Tuesday… same operation (re-do… after first one screwed up !! Praying for better result from better surgeon.
    BTW… not claiming you were talking D excuses. Just my poor way of saying that I’ve heard that stuff for YEARS.
    I’m thinking that snake bit where this D is. Years of time/$/work, and it’s ready to do heavy work…. And…I’m Not..whaah ! It sings alto on a homemade dyno !
    In route to a pro dyno and someone dropped a load of pain on my head. Good to have friends take up the ‘load’ right now… including Mrs. 55 years, and she still doesn’t like smell of gas, grease and oil…go figure..lol !!
    Hoping you recover real soon.
    Rick(Hardtimes)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  5. railcarmover

railcarmover

Merry Christmas boys.. time to mount out, leaving the peoples republic for hucklebuck heaven..
    West Virginia is neat, there is no homeless there, everyone is broke. Best cruising country I've seen, Shenandoah Valley is made for a banger. Taking all my junk, so setting up the shop will take awhile but I've got nothing else to do..
    Border security?
    Roll into tractor supply, plunk down cash, buy a pistol, load it at the counter, stick it in your belt and walk out.. drive home? slap it on the dash, tell the trooper its there when he approaches.. castle doctrine in full effect.. no property crime there, the risk is too great..

6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Almost heaven…West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains Shenandoah River ! (sing it if youse can!)
    Good luck to you youngster !!

7. railcarmover

railcarmover

You can say that again..no wait,you did :)

It's kinda like going back to the 60's with a hillbilly vibe..they do talk funny there,this guy keeps asking me to make animal sounds choppers.png

G_Don likes this.
  8. For those that don't know, I've been working on casting some banger parts! I started off with side timing covers as I'm teaching myself all this stuff, and this is the current progress update! 268652251_10220397069906142_1903510607498461281_n.jpeg

9. 97

Good work, nice job !!...that is what hot rodding is really about or should be. Need something, can't find exactly what you envision, then make it, make the tools to make it if necessary. Get the knowledge from those that have it, and improve your own car with your new found knowledge. I am not against buying/selling parts or services , don't get me wrong, that is the best way for some , but after a while some people think they OWN the knowledge, IMHO traditional rodding has always been about sharing the load to improve everybody's hot rods.

10. 97

Sounds like heaven, but coming from a country where handguns are illegal for nearly everybody, if I loaded one and put it in my belt I'd probably blow my nuts off the next time I sat down! :D
    I am seriously sick and tired of the fascist bastards running this place now, and all the dumbfucks that vote for bullshit without considering the idiots ability to actually think and govern!

Kiwi 4d and 1932tub like this.
  11. railcarmover

railcarmover

In that particular regard our lands are similar

12. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Never underestimate the power of stoopid people...! They’re everywhere!:(

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

merry Christmas & happy new year .................. steve

Jet96 likes this.
  14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

who rebuilds a GOOD ahoooga horn ? ................. steve

15. For those of you that knew him; Phil Andrews passed away Thursday 12/16/2021, 6:30 AM. Phil and his family (wife and three daughters) lived outside Ojai CA. He had a small machine shop beside his home. I bought a few parts from him years ago. When I went to his shop he was building a "Banger" dragster with a DOHC REM cylinder head! R.I.P.

Crazydaddyo and Jet96 like this.
  16. John,

Yes, sad news this month.
    Another pretty well known 4 Banger, George "Scotty" Scott passed a week or so ago.
    This last year has been hard on the community, it reminds us that we must mash the throttle whenever possible.

May Both of them Rest Peacefully and find a good pattern maker.

Best wishes to All for the Holidays, John

Crazydaddyo and Jet96 like this.
  17. pkhammer

pkhammer

Greetings and welcome from one that has been here enjoying the perfect back roads all his life.

18. If I remember correctly, he came up with using 366 Chevy truck pistons in OHV B’s with a deep bowl combustion chamber like Cragar, Alexander, etc. He would machine the pin bores for locks and chamfer the upper corners above the top ring lands. Got the pistons, wish I had him do the work while he could.
    Rest In Peace, Sir.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    Jet96 and johnneilson like this.
  19. Charlville

Charlville

Stromberg.jpg
    Finally got around to the Stromberg, now what to do about the gearbox in the spring :)

Dannerr, modelacrazy and trikejunkie like this.
  20. raaf

raaf

Friends,

I've been lurking in the shadows of the banger threads for years...but starting to plan for building up a block for my '29.

Question - What do you all recommend for a good stand to build up an engine? I would like something sturdy, but also something that I can move around with some ease as I expect the build will take time. I have a small garage and competing interests. Did most of you fabricate? Or have you found something standardized that works well?

Thank you,

Raaf

21. Not my image, but KR Wilson is a perfect engine stand.
    They have mounts for Flathead V8, Model A/B, and many more engines.

They can be purchased new from dan4banger.com but alot of guys prefer to find an original.
    [​IMG]

22. G_Don

G_Don

Driving the ole A bone around a bunch. Having a bunch of fun. Do have a question.

With the stock trans i know it doesnt have synchros, but i find that if I only give a 3 second count before putting it in 1st gear at a stop, i get a little bit of a grind... If I wait 5 or more seconds after depressing the cluth and putting it in gear, it is smooth as butter. Is that just how these are? Or is there something I can adjust? I tried adjusting the clevis rod attached to the clutch a few turns clockwise (in) to get more free play, but that hasnt seemed to help.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Gordy

23. Charlville

Charlville

Hi Gordy

Mine can be a bit like that, but if you get the idle speed down as low as you can I think it will help

24. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

I was able to fit mine onto a standard welded square tube stand, just bolted from the rear like normal. Probably not ideal, but it worked for me. I am perpetually on a pretty tight budget with this stuff, though, so I do a lot or questionable stuff. IMG_20181028_122847786_HDR_2.jpg

pkhammer likes this.
  25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

D1C03393-4FF1-4496-BEF9-3CAE2DAD1BA1.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the old school engine stands. Most of the A parts vendors sell a fixture that allows you to mount the engine sideways on a regular engine stand.

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  26. Be careful if you use a three wheeled stand bolted to the rear of the block.
    I managed to tip mine over rolling it around. DUH!

27. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Rolling mine wasn't really an option. Haha. It was kind of tippy, though.

28. callcoy

callcoy

My Prayers are with you!
    I have been blessed thru the years, this year has been no exception, I hope things work out for you, I have a feeling they will. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happier New Year.
    Steve (Callcoy)

29. raaf

raaf

Gentlemen - Thanks for the responses on the engine stand - you set me off in the right direction. That said, I kind of wish I hadn't seen the KR Wilson because that looks like the perfect solution but quite costly. At some point I'll update with where I end up.

Another question...seriously... Where are all the A speed parts? I see you guys with these exotic heads, intakes, etc but I never see them for sale. I watch the classifieds here and on Fordbarn and I just never see anything. Are they all at swap meets? Do folks just (understandably) hang on to this stuff?

Not complaining, just curious...with an undertone of jealously.

Retson the Racer likes this.
  30. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

there are some people making the speed equipment

a few links to companies I am aware of, there maybe more

https://specialtymotorcams.com/index.php#header
    http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com/index.html
    http://www.modelatrader.com/brumfield/brumfield.html
    https://www.hotforhotfours.com/advertisers.htm
    https://www.secretsofspeed.com/speed-parts

Bert's, Synder's, Mikes affordable also list some speed performance parts.