Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-54 chevy truck I-6 to V8 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vik morgan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some say that the first generation Corvette manifolds work without moving the steering box but I have never seen an engine installed using them or the 55 manifolds you showed in the photo. Those would come closest to working though.
    When we did mine in the mid 70's we moved the box out over an inch to clear the ram horn manifolds. My friend that helped me had done several of them and that was how he did it. We drove the car in the shop on Friday night and drove it out with the V8 in it on Sunday afternoon and I drove it to school and back to work at the shop on Monday.

2. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If you are using stock axel and steering a lot of older instalations moved the engine over to clear the steering gear. It bothered me that it looked off center so I did it this way, engine placed in center, steerig box moved back, column shortened and rod from steering box to axel lengthened. I used headers. This was a long time ago and was bit of work compared to what is being done today, but is an alternative.

3. RAK

RAK

Mr48,
    I'm sorry to hear about that, thanks for letting me know.

Rich

4. When I was in college in 1972, I did my early '55 panel truck in an apartment parking lot. I parked the panel, minus front clip next to the '60 Chevy wagon engine donor car and my rough looking '50 GMC daily driver next to it with the '55 front clip and 6 cylinder engine in the bed. I used the '55 trans, crossmember, and open drive rear end. I used a late '55 to '59 truck V8 bellhousing. Cobbled the exhaust out of pieces from the '60 wagon. Moved the steering box out 1-1/2". All work was done without welding. Everything was drilled and bolted. I used a Hurst front mount and angle iron bolted frame mounts. I had the panel on the road in two weekends. Used it to pull away the donor car. The apartment manager was not pleased at all and I promised her I would never do it again.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Have a good look at C3 Corvettes of better still blueflame Tri-5 Chevys. These engines were offset mounted by the factory.
    This method for engine swappers is far safer than shifting steering components

F-ONE likes this.
  6. I am finding that some say move steering box others say no need. Getting ready to drop 350 in 47 Chevy truck. Any input in detail would be much appreciated.

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Look at the AD group on here, the first thing on their is a sticky from Cubby, it should answer almost any questions you have, as well as many you have not thought of yet.

8. Where will I find this AD group,what page?

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No need to move the steering box. A long time friend of mine who is a master fabricator and has done several of these trucks does not move the box. He does use a particular set of factory SBC exhaust manifolds.

I do not know the exact application they are from, but they are the style that that the manifold body drops down from the ports, not the type that arches upward, if that helps ID them. This style has a 'natural' indentation or curvature precisely where it's need to clear the steering column/box.

I hope this helps. I may see him today and if he recalls the application, I will repost here.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Dorman 674 197.jpg

Talked to my friend this morning.......he confirmed nothing has to be moved nor is the engine offset. The manifold I described, which he described in a similar manner, is from the late '70s / '80s, I think intermediate sized GM with SBC. Dorman replacement manifold #674-197 seems to be the one.

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

S 10 rear may be to narrow for the truck 2 wheel drive s 1o is 54 inches wms to wms 55 thru 62 chevy is 60 inches wms to wms.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. looking for the right manifold for my 47 Chevy truck putting a 350 engine and 700R4 tranny. need the right manifold to clear steering box, thanks

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do you mean the 'correct' manifold or the right side manifold? If the latter, I don't understand what the right side has to do with the steering clearance since you are 'in Kentucky' and surely have left hand drive.

If it is the 'correct' manifold for steering clearance that you seek....see my post #41 above.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  14. yes its for the steering box/ drivers side of the truck. Thanks

15. davidh73750

davidh73750

Will the 60 through 72 bell housing work for standard transmission? I’m not finding a 55 through 59 very easy but I have this one.
    One of these trucks with the M 20 and a 342 gear outback would probably be pretty fun

Attached Files:

16. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

20200602_100157.jpg

davidh73750 likes this.
  17. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

If you use an S10 rear end get one out of a four-wheel drive they are a little bit wider. That 52 chevy style box is 50 in wide

18. Good info, but not sure the OP or others that had posted might see the new comments here since it has been 2-1/2 years since the last post before my buddy David commented on the bellhousing above. :rolleyes::D

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that the big difference is that they changed the ID of the hole that the bearing retainer fits in somewhere along the line at least on 4 speeds. There are spacer rings available to fit the smaller bearing retainer though.
    54 Frames are pretty much a bolt in with the right mounts, 47/53 frames have a different center crossmember and it either has to be switched to a 54 or some mods done to it to get the mounts to sit down on it right. My 48 came with a modified crossmember when I bought it in 1973,

A side note for the unknowing, if you remove the crossmember and use tube crossmembers sooner or later the weight of your cab will cause the rails to twist as it pushes down on the mount brackets until the cab is sitting on the frame rail. If you look at V8 swap AD trucks that look bent at the cowl with the space between the door bottom and running board being uneven and the back of the hood not fitting this is why 99% of the time.

We did my swap before those 76/86 G 30 van exhaust were available That's what the Dorman 674-197 fits.

I've got a mid 70's Nova rear under my 48 that should be 60 inches wms to wms and I can't run a stock backspaced Chevy car wheel on the rear, My mags have about a 3-1/2 inch back spacing or I use a chrome reverse wheel for a spare. If you plan to run stock backspace steel wheels you probably want around 61 inches of wms to wms.

davidh73750 and guthriesmith like this.
  20. 01springer

01springer

also, if you use a 55-59 pickup throttle lever it will adapt to the original pedal on a 52-54, i think the earlier pedals are different but you cud change the pedal to the newer...mine even has a hand throttle bracket on it from the factory... also original rearend can be converted to open drive with 55-60 center section. I usually use a 65-70 Impala rearend cus the 55-64 car rears are too narrow if you lower the truck much.

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm putting that throttle lever bit in my notes to have.
    I had a 66 Impala 12 bolt under my 48 and it indeed was the right size, Lots of brackets to cut off though. As for swapping the pumpkin from a 55/59 into the 47/54 you still have to deal with the swivel mount on the torque tube rear axle and just welding the brackets doesn't fly. Got a royal ass chewing from a friend over doing that bit. after the welds broke on a road trip and a pair of pads from Classic parts cost 20 bucks and set the ride height right and locate the rear right. Weld On Rear Axle Seats-Classic Chevy Truck Parts (classicparts.com) They also have the whole kit with U bolts and shock brackets.

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This was the first Chevy V8 swap ever done or at least, the first one published. It was written up in Rod & Custom Magazine October 1955. The V8 manual trans bellhousing bolts up to the older transmission if it is the right one, there are 2 trans cases, the good one is commonly found in pickup trucks 42 -54. It has bolt holes about 8" apart, the other one has them closer together, about 6".
    They moved the steering box out with spacers but apparently this is not necessary if you have the right manifolds. They also kept the column shift linkage but shortened it a couple inches to get it up away from the engine.
    Then they needed to make engine mounts and move the rad back. There were a few other details to it. This was the 50 Chev truck belonging to Spence Murray that evolved into the R&C Dream Truck.

23. davidh73750

davidh73750

Back in the spring I purchased a bunch of goodies from my friend's AD truck that he's converting to M2, LT swap.
    The posies front springs, sids axle, brakes probably have 3500 miles on them and rear posies were never installed. I'm trying to do drive train from what I have laying around.
    For Simplicity SBC and TH350. I have those V8 exhaust manifold from the 70's. I have a 74' elcalmino rear end likely 2.73 or 3.08(if lucky) I'm looking at the Jim Carter motor Mounts.
    After reading the what you wrote about cutting out the cross-member and the frame laying flat, cab sinking what do you suggest for transmission cross-member and not lose support?

24. davidh73750

davidh73750

So after researching other forums I saw 60’s truck V8 bellhousing works in the 55-59 trucks and the original 55-59 V8 bellhousing works in AD trucks so theoretically I should be able to put this bellhousing on? I went out and looked and knew I had a 60’s V8 bellhousing .
    I have a Vega Saginaw 4 speed, anyone else use this?

https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/bellhousings.html

Attached Files:

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3815891 is the bellhousing that you want. It has the correct ID for a car or smaller truck bearing retainer to fit in. Link for info: GM Casting # 3815891 Truck Bellhousing (3dcartstores.com)
    Trans will work fine but may not handle hard driving with a big V8. Meaning if you are prone to clutch dropping burn outs it may not survive but it will last years on end for more relaxed driving.
    I can't tell from the angle if you have a 53 or earlier crossmember or a 54.

This is a 53 and earlier in a GMC frame and the motor mounts on the 3815891 Bellhousing won't bolt directly up without modifying the crossmember.
    [​IMG]
    By modifying I mean that you have to set the bellhousing on it with mounts attatched to the bellhousing and then figure out how to cut reshape, fit and weld it back so the mounts sit down on it and everything bolts up.

davidh73750 likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the mounts it shouldn't be all that difficult to modify the crossmember if you have to. Tf trans mount lower.jpg

The pieces are flipped as the U shaped piece sits on top and the other piece fits up inside the crossmember with the rubber of the U shaped piece setting in the hole (enlarged) to position it.

Attached Files:

davidh73750 likes this.