Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Adhesive For Running Board Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl Hungness, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

This is a topic I've read about previously and now that it comes time for me to install the running board covers I bought about 30 years ago from Steele on to my '37 LaSalle coupe I'm seeking advice.
    I don't really want to use a 'one time stuck' contact cement.
    I've also read pro and con on applying the rubber to a non-painted or painted running board.
    Since it's well over $2,000 to get the boards covered today and the old rubber I bought is in perfect condition, I want to get it right the first time.
    I'm leaning toward Loctite 5570. It comes in a caulking gun friendly so application will be straight-forward.
    My running boards also have four depressions in each from the underside mounting bolts being over-tightened, and look impossible to tap out from the strut covered bottom side. I'm thinking of filling the depressions with bondo, so will have to test the adhesive to see if it sticks to metal, and bondo..or whatever filler I use.
    The bolts on the bottom have round carriage heads that fit into a slot so just the nut shows, and mine were over-tightened causing the depressions. Each depression is about an inch wide x 4" long.

Attached Files:

2. Contact cement is what is usually used, but you could use one of those bond-all panel adhesives like Sikaflex. Once it's on, it is very difficult to remove.

3. jaracer

jaracer

The Sikaflex we used to glue the fenders to the hoods on Freightliners would de-bond with heat. That way you could replace just one fender.

alanp561 likes this.
  4. Contact cement came with my vintique covers for my '34. I used it and never had a problem.

olscrounger likes this.

5. I am also interested in any input.

6. wutnxt

wutnxt

Geocell 4500 Roof in black. Goes on with silicone consistency. Once it sets you’ll play hell removing it. Try ace Hardware or other hardware or home center.

7. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Chemlock comes in water base and solvent base for rubber to steel . Handles heat and extreme cold never shrunk or grabbed on me yet .

8. Go to your local auto body supply and ask them. They are often the best at recommending a product that works.

WB69 likes this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Which factory did you work for White Freightliner? Portland, Pomona/Chino or Raleigh?
    I'm a White Freightliner Brat.

10. jaracer

jaracer

I was a technical trainer working for corporate out of Portland. I retired in 2013 with 16 years in. However, I worked in training as a contractor 94 - 97.

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I see. My Dad was with White Freightliner from 1961-1982 in the Pomona/Chino plants until they moved the plant to NC.
    It was a fun place for family.
    OP...Sorry for highjacking your thread.

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

3M bonding adhesive. You’ll never get them off in one piece if you need to but they won’t come off.

13. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I'm interested too ..... I brought new Vintique running board covers back on the plane but they wouldn't let me take the contact adhesive in my baggage.
    Apparently it was a fire/safety risk.