Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '57 GMC Pickup Can't get out of it's own way?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrankenRodz, Dec 10, 2021.

1. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I have the chance to buy a 100pt. restored '57 GMC 100 Pickup, because the old timer who has it says it's really slow.
    The weather is too salty already, and I'd rather just show up with a bag of cash and trailer it home. So without a proper shake-down, what could I be in for?
    Trying to come up with all possible scenarios so I can make an educated purchase.
    My '52 GMC boogied down the highway at a decent speed, and that was a 3k mile original Truck!
    Is there a Transmission swap as an option? There's tons of research on Chevy's but nothing on GMCs. The truck has a 270, 3 on the tree.
    Not looking to drive like a nut, but it's going to be more marketable as a highway cruiser.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP!

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Buy it and drive it, then you’ll know if there’s an issue or not.

ottoman likes this.
  3. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

"Really slow" is a relative term, I would think. Maybe slow as compared to a late model vehicle is all that is meant. It runs, so at the very worst, it might need to have the motor gone through again. Might be just tuning, might be gearing, maybe the throttle linkage is FUBAR.
    If my F100 would have had a three on the tree, I would have kept it, and re-geared the rear end to achieve the result I was looking for. It did not. It had a used up T89 floor shifted four speed. So I opted for a T5 five speed trans.
    So, you can pretty much put any trans in your truck that you want.

4. I know nothing about the truck in question but generally speaking if a vehicle won't pull an old sick woman off a bed pan a transmission change is not going to change that.

The engine options in '57 were a 269 or a small block V8. The 6 banged out HP in the 125-150 range. Not much is going to change that in stock form. it is just never going to be a jack rabbit unless you make some changes. In good shape it will probably do the tortouse thing and finish the race it is just not going to finish the race today.

A small block is a bolt in, with side mounts you have the option of a big block being interchangable. or you can go with a later 6 or big inch Jimmy six.

I like them myself never owned one. If it were not over priced (only you know that) mI would consider snagging it and dealing with the power issue at a later date.

1Nimrod, FrankenRodz, SS327 and 3 others like this.

5. Didn't GMC's have Pontiac V8's?

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

7. people here on the board are souping the big six not the 269.

The '57 was offered with a pontiac 347. A small block can still be bolted in using stock off the shelf parts. I have done it more than once. The 347 was a one year only option and was backed by a hydromatic (a very desirable transmission BTW). I am not sure if the V8 came with a standard transmission option. In my travels I have not run across one as of yet.

1Nimrod and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. finn

finn

What does he mean by “slow”?

Slow as in poor acceleration is one thing, and slow as in screaming at highway speeds is another.

If pickup is ok, but it screams going down the road, an overdrive or milder rear end gears is in order. Taller rear tires will directionally improve things. The milder gears and taller tires will hurt acceleration, though.

If he means slow as in poor acceleration, steeper gears will help, at the expense of now screaming at highway speeds. More displacement is the logical step, though.

Buy it, drive it, and see for yourself. Sometimes moving along like it’s 1957 again isn’t so bad, though.

Remember, if you make it faster, the brakes are then the weak link.

1Nimrod, FrankenRodz and Wanderlust like this.
  9. spanners

spanners

Maybe because it's a 100 point resto the old fella just tooled around town in it and didn't get up it like most would and he was referring it to be a 'slow truck'.

1Nimrod and porknbeaner like this.
  10. Picked up my ‘57 this past September…it’s not fast by any stretch but it will get out of its own way. First vehicle I have owned with a three on the tree and I really enjoy driving the old gal…mine has a 270 also

1Nimrod and FrankenRodz like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently had a customer bring me a motorcycle, complaining about it having no power, and no ability to climb a hill.

I took it out for a ride, mostly on one wheel. I found nothing wrong with it. The owner insisted that I take it on exactly the same road, so I did. I found nothing wrong there, either.

After a bit of back-and-forth I was able to get it out of the owner that on that stretch they were riding it in 5th gear, when the correct gear would have been 2nd.

My point: Someone's opinion means nothing. Go drive it.

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"'57 GMC PICKUP CAN'T GET OUT OF IT'S OWN WAY?"
    That's why they make Big Blocks!

Jibs likes this.
  13. Wrench97

Wrench97

I Thought from 55 through 59 GMC used Pontiac V8's?
    [​IMG]

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is something wrong. The 1957 270 has 145 hp. And can kick some a** stock. They will rev to 4000 easy with a single barrel and stock springs. Check valve lash .012” to .016 exhaust and .008 to .010 on the intake. Check to see it advance. The whole distributor physically moves. Rev it up and look at it. Timing is though a hole in the bell housing above the starter. There is a pointer, the line between a U and C …that’s TDC of #1 or 6 … the ball is 5* advanced. Good luck.

15. jimmy six… thanks for that info. I haven’t started playing with mine yet because I think it runs pretty good for what it is… but I did know the distributor moves when the engine revs…very cool!

16. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

That 270 should be good for an every day driver. The 270 was used by amateur hot rodders for an upgrade in '49 -'53 chevys back in the day. I've driven a couple of those and they scooted along very well. I would try to drive the truck if possible before buying it. There may be nothing wrong with it at all. It may be that all it needs is a valve job and a major tuneup. It may not be a hot rod but it could be a nice dependable grocery getter.

17. A 270 should cruise well. It’s probably stove up from the lack of driving.
    As my pawpaw would say “it needs the soot blowed out of it”
    I wouldn’t make any decisions until you actually get it used to being driven. (Working properly)
    My 235 was a blast to drive around. And it lacks the torque a 270 can produce.
    As far as marketable, the biggest profit margin would probably be tuned up and sold.
    If it’s that clean and low mile, changing stuff could be a waste money wise.

1Nimrod, FrankenRodz and Torkwrench like this.
  18. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

This post reminds me of an old fellow who brought in a '55 Olds complaining that the gas pedal was too hard. to push. :)

19. Like everyone said, what is slow. Only thing I can add would be if he means it’s in the slow lane on the highway because of rear end gearing then you find a 3pd manual with an o/d. It will bolt right up to what you have (if it’s the same as a Chevy of the same year) and you’ll need to shorten the driveshaft.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should at least be "peppy".
    Something isn't right.
    Ignition timing could be too far retarded or not advancing.

21. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

The 270 in my avatar will move my GMC truck down the road plenty peppy. Bored to 292, 9:1 forged pistons, small port head with bigger valves and porting, Beaver performance cam, S10 HEI, dual Zeniths, Nicsons manifolds coming and going, 4spd A833 on the tree and 3.73 out back. The GPS says 100mph in 3rd gear before shifting into OD . . . and losing speed. :(

Yeah, OD is a disappointment if you think it will be a go fast gear. But makes 60mph at 1850 rpm sure sweet! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    1Nimrod, swade41, FrankenRodz and 2 others like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 57 GMC 3/4 ton here at the house that had belonged to my mom's companion. Someone had pulled the Pontiac and hydro out of it and stuck in a 283 and a glide and top speed was around 50 with the pedal flat on the floor. I don't know if the rear axle was original and I never checked the ratio but would guess it had 5.13 gears in it.

That means if it runs great, looks great and you really like it for the price it is offered for I would figure that it needs a rear end or rear end gear change to make it a bit more highway friendly.

One other thing to think about, check to see what he is comparing it's performance to. Many guys getting into the old car hobby at any level have never driven one of those rigs before they bought it and even an old fart may not have driven trucks back in the day when they were far more commercial vehicles for work and hauling than personal vehicles for driving. If all he ever drove were faster V8 cars back in the day and his daily now is pretty quick that 270 is going to seem slow to him but may seem just right to a lot of us.

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Gear ratios and distributor advance aside... since this is a resto, chances are good the fuel system needs some attention. It's possible this was a multi-year project and that the builder cleaned and coated the gas tank, which was standard practice until the world discovered what ethanol does to tank lining material. That would be my starting point, along with the rest of the system (filter, fuel pump, carburetor). Old components, seals and sealants don't like the corn likker in gas!
    Only driving and evaluation will tell the true tale, but if it's priced right and built right, go for it!

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks! That was my thought. All my other rides highway cruised fine, but not familiar with something from the mid to late 50's...(Rear end gearing, Trans., etc.).

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks Everyone! I can always count on you Folks for support, and I appreciate it.
    Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any inherent issue I wasn't aware of. (An educated Buyer....)
    At mid $20k, I've got room to take the chance. My Brother actually had the restoration done around 30 years ago, and it's since sold twice.

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

WHAT REAR END WOULD THAT TRUCK HAVE COME WITH?

27. KenC

KenC

I've had several 52-56 Fords w/OD. Every one of then had more top end in second/OD than third/OD. Just not enough torque available at lowered RPM to overcome the air drag I guess.

1Nimrod, motion guru and olscrounger like this.
  28. My first of many 55-59 GM trucks was a 57 Blue Chip, I think you'll have no issues of going "to slow", but I'd sure try to use his description as a haggling point in negotiating a cheaper price.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's quite possible the engine was never well tuned, and it runs OK, but has more potential with someone whose willing and able to set everything properly. It could be a simple valve lash adjustment, and setting the timing. Maybe even needs the vacuum advance checked to ensure it's functioning.
    If it runs well, and doesn't blow smoke, I'd make an offer that you both feel works and buy it.

30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My suspicion is he means slow in "both" instances.
    To me, the "minimum definition" of fast is being able to out accelerate the millions of SUV's that populate our roads today............and I have to admit that my wifes little Rav accelerates pretty d**n good for such a small engine. I can't imagine driving anything that I consider a "hot rod", and having some soccer mom show me her tailights.

As far as moving along on the highway, the solution is a 5 speed.

1Nimrod, swade41 and TrailerTrashToo like this.