Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what firewall is this???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Apr 3, 2021.

1. atch

atch

While contemplating my nailhead in a Model A situation I saw this pic. I'm guessing that this is a 28/29 Model A coupe/sedan/pickup. Of course I could be way off base and it might not even be a Ford.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is a one-of-a-kind firewall crafted by an extremely talented individual or is this some factory deal that I'm not familiar with?

firewall.jpg

I'm sure that I could never afford the bill for chrome plating what is shown here. This is obviously a VERY high quality hot rod.

If this belongs to or was built by a hamber my hat's off to you.

Also hats off to Dan Greenberg, photographer extraordinare, who snapped an awesome pic.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    gnichols, AHotRod and Stogy like this.
  2. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d say it’s not a Model A Coupe or Tudor - their cowls are flush with the body (I assume also the Fordor, but few are hot rodded). The sweeping cowl is otherwise similar to the 28/29 As.

Someone will have the correct answer soon.

Nice work on the firewall though.

John

Stogy likes this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It’s a custom firewall, the hood lip is filled on the cowl along with all of the seams.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mitch 36 and Stogy like this.
  4. atch

atch

Any idea who owns it or built it?

Stogy likes this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might be fiberglass...here's a great option...let me page @Dan Greenberg, chances are pretty good he knows because he really likes to meet and mention the Owners when he takes his pics...

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I snooped a little and found this...seems to be a Ricky Bobby Build...Quoted from story..."Of course, Ricky fabbed up the headers himself, and check out the ‘quilted’ firewall he made too."

So it is a steel body and Ricky is known for very Out of the box Radicals...many Hamb Friendly and that's alright eh...

Speedhunters_Keith_Charvonia_Tudor-Hot-Rod-1-1200x800.jpg

Landon Jordan’s 1928 Ford Tudor Hot Rod

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/08/ricky-bobby-rod-shop-28-tudor/

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. redo32

redo32

My apologies to Dan for the screenshot. He used to post event photos here, haven't seen him lately, but there haven't been any events this year. This pic was taken at Lone Star Roundup in 2015.

20210403_122930_Burst03.jpg

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

To me it looks like it is fiberglass and cut with a router like you would have done it in wood.

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The quilted pattern is very common in stainless backsplashes in restaurants so this is probably why Ricky fabbed his own out of mild steel I suspect using a beadroller and it is notable the other beadrolling added on top of the quilting...

What can you say other than MetalShaper/Fabricators are amazing and always pushing the envelope in the art they are skilled in...

10. redo32

redo32

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...and then there is aluminum maybe that's what it is...

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. atch

atch

Ok; that was about 15 minutes WELL spent. Thanx.​

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ricky Bobby is a member here albiet he hasn't been on since 2015...there was a Thread that didn't go over well but he has had many slam dunks in Hotrod...I've shared a few but most miss the Traditional mark here...

Is Landon a Hamber?...maybe...

Dan might know as he posts these details in his Threads with the pics...

So it is a one off and I suspect pretty tricky except for those named Ricky to pull it off...:)

Joking aside a metalshaper should be able to fab a weldable firewall for you to install if you had such desire...it wouldn't be cheap I suspect...but as with many things in this Hobby some take that leap...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  15. I would think @56 Dodge Pickup could do that. maybe send him the firewall blank? or a template?

56 Dodge Pickup and Stogy like this.
  16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like the firewall never the less.
    I don't think it's unusual for a builder to put in a custom touch showing off there talent.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I correct myself .... the cowl of the 28 and 29 As are not flush with the body, they look like the OPs picture. Whoops.

John

18. Thank you for the recommendation very much appreciated!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. atch

atch

Thanx for all the responses.

I was only asking for my own education as I'd never seen anything like that before. I'll never have a car on which that firewall would be appropriate/commensurate. That's WAAAAY too nice for anything I'll ever have.

I'm glad, though, that there are folks who have the talent to create such an art piece and that through the H.A.M.B. I get a chance to see it.

i7083 likes this.
  20. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thanks @redo32 Here is the link to that picture for a cleaner view.: https://pbase.com/dlgphoto/image/159812315

You are correct that there was not much for me for 2020-21 due to lack of events. Only 3 major shows in those two years that I did threads for, one pretty recently.
    Here are links to those threads if you are interested:
    Gathering at the Roc 2021: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-gathering-at-the-roc-2021-my-photos.1245340/
    Jalopyrama 2021: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/photos-from-the-fantastic-2021-jalopyrama.1230735/
    Hot Rod Showdown 2020: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/photos-from-the-unique-2020-hot-rod-showdown.1186390/