Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ouch! Dang maybe I should look into some bump stops for my hot rod build lol

2. AmishMike

AmishMike

Yep, sometimes rubbers are needed

Denns1989, loudbang, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bump stop for the other direction is permanently affixed...our heads...:p

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Denns, love the period details...the hot axe treatment in the wheel-well...the soul left from the Hotrodder from the yesteryear...Golden...That very similar to my modded OEM fuel tank underside​

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Outback, Denns1989 and loudbang like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve always measured the front ends knowing they only ever really move about 1.5” but I’d never considered the back end moving more lol. Wonder if you could sneak a little threaded in snubber into the outer edge of the cross member/frame. Hmmm

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure why not...they seem an OEM requirement for many vehicles and rubber would offer a softer landing...If the frame is unboxed I'd think centered or towards the upright wall of the frame would help prevent bending of the lower frame...those are blows that provoke a foul word and break stuff...But many times especially at night they are always a possibility...

Denns1989 and Tim like this.
  7. "freshly laid asphalt... turns out they weren't done laying the new asphalt & after hitting the first "step", two more followed in the time I had to say "ohh S@!*" , I shuddered at how "solid" the hit was".

I live in the Toronto area and have never experienced this locally. Our local road workers either shave the transition so it is gradual (and NOT a step) or add a wedge of asphalt to create a smooth transition. That being said, I was in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario with the wife for a wedding several years ago, driving on Great Northern (in town) and BAM, we SLAMMED the transition edge the local road workers had created, exactly like you described (felt like we went head on into and up a curb). It was a harsh and solid SLAM but apparently no harm done. Unfortunately that wasn't the case ... once up to highway speed later in the day (heading up 17 for some sightseeing) BOTH front tires (radial) started to vibrate and then got even worse, to the point that we could only crawl along 17, pulling off onto the shoulder when a car approached from behind. To make matters worse, we couldn't call for help due to there being no cell phone service for our phone. Turns out that 'step' in the road had destroyed the front tires internally and once up to speed, the belts separated. Oh yeah, when staying at the Water Tower, check your bill for extras like meals you never ordered or ate.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  8. @borntoloze , Yes, for some reason, they figure that a small right angle triangle of asphalt will transition you back to the normal grade of roadway. They figure a "Bump" sign is all that's needed. I also broke a tire from a pothole, in similar manner to your experience a couple of years ago.

loudbang, Denns1989 and Stogy like this.
  9. Well Snoopy just got fuel stabilizer & top up of premium fuel, headed out on it's 1st leg of a 2 leg trip to its winter birth, added another 1000 miles to the odometer this summer so I'll call that a success:) 20211018_174950.jpg

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking great as usual, and well cared for! Gary:)

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Wow! How did I miss this thread? So COOL!

loudbang, Woogeroo, Denns1989 and 2 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time for a Snoopy Snooze...:D...I got a few miles in myself...maayyyybe a couple more and like yourself it was fun while it lasted...

13. Ha ha, well I'm glad you found it now !

14. Thanks for the updates. Never get tired of keeping up with Snoopy! :cool:

15. Late 60's, Snoopy in the foreground with the 3rd owner & his girlfriend (soon to be wife), such a neat shot, also shows how good that paint once looked !
    FB_IMG_1637019717751.jpg

WC145, -Brent-, Peanut 1959 and 24 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is priceless indeed...surreal in the sense it almost looks reproduced...

In a kooky way Yesterday I was watching the unseen vaulted footage of the Beatles doing the Let it be sessions...I got a similar feeling that it was almost to good to be back then...but it truly was 69/70...

That's worth a frame and a spot on the wall Denns...the one behind the camera had the right stuff and perhaps one of those cameras Ryan speaks of...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

WOW that is a Neat shot, thanks Gary:)

18. My wife's friend (daughter of 3rd owner) posted this picture above on Facebook last nite & I immediately messaged her & said, "remember, ANY pictures you have with Snoopy in it, I want them" lol :)

19. @Stogy , funny, did you capitalize Yesterday, in your post on purpose, or accidentally?
    @Denns1989 , that is a neat candid picture from back then. Hope she can find a couple more.

Nicholas Coe, Denns1989 and Stogy like this.
  20. Sweet picture. Happy Holidays!

Denns1989 and Stogy like this.
  21. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Jer, Denns, Luckiest guy on planet earth (and classiest) well done. Couldn't imaging the reaction I'd have when I started reading this thread. The most recent owner (widow) drive was pretty moving. I think it's awesome that you, a man of great character, are the caretaker and you are doing it impeccably.
    Just one thought as you have Snoopy off the road for your winter. Not much winter here, just laid the foundation for my shop this week. Anyway, if you want to turn that front sway bar from a decoration into a suspension member, the aforementioned vertical link would be pretty straightforward.
    Just delete the horizontal link and fab a piece that ties the spring perch to the end of the sway bar.
    No one asked, but I drew it up for ya.
    Original on left, suggested on right.
    Just insert the vertical link where indicated in green.
    Sway bar link.jpg

22. Thankyou for the kind response, it's an honour to be Snoopy's Caretaker indeed.
    I appreciate the suggestion, I can't remember if I posted this or not, a couple years ago I figured out that the sway bar bracket was originally mounted back towards the crossmember to allow the links to be straight up & down, then when they went to route the exhaust they moved the bracket forward laying the links sideways... since it has different exhaust manifolds now, I was able to unbolt & slide the mount back, the holes were already drilled in the frame !, now they are up & down so I think that's ok now ?
    20211211_105244.jpg

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's hard to believe that it's been over 6 years since you acquired this awesome Hot Rod. It's been a enjoyable experience to get to follow along on what is an exciting journey.
    Just wanted to let you know that you are doing a great job with it, continue to drive it and have fun.
    Glenn

24. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Well, I can't remember either, so maybe you did post it.
    Excellent, that works. Just another benefit of the exhaust correction. Wrapping the pipe up and around like the original builder did was not the proper solution, particularly when it displaced the sway bar.
    With the link now parallel to the suspension movement and in line with the arc of the bar travel, you are golden.

Not be a sheizer stirrer, but did the 2nd owner (Mr. Wave Off) ever come around and act like a human?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. lol, well I seen him at a car show awhile back, he commented that I had the car cleaned up pretty good, I offered for him to hop in & try it on for size, he declined & while walking away said "I just want the keys & burn the tires off the back"... so I guess we will call that progress ? Ha ha ha :)

26. Well, it was a few degrees above freezing & pouring rain today... Drove by Snoopy's winter den, looks like I need a couple more weeks before he will be out :) PXL_20220319_132806023~2.jpg

Outback, Stogy, 210superair and 8 others like this.
  27. Is it capable of that?;)

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. Believe it or not, I have seen it lay rubber, my wife was at the wheel (She was the DD lol), she said pulling away from a stop sign "this thing is "jumpy" ", I said "yes, you have also been laying rubber since taking off, these bias ply tires are expensive, could you let off the gas a bit"

Outback, Stogy, David Gersic and 11 others like this.
  29. Nice! Sounds like my wife too! Lead foot all the way.

30. The snow was melted enough today for me to get into Snoopy's winter resting spot, hopefully the weather improves in the next couple weeks & I'll have him out for the 2022 Season ! PXL_20220417_163438633.jpg

VF-1, WC145, metalhead140 and 12 others like this.