Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I Must Be Punished...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

I Must Be Punished...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Wow 2 bucks and couple of smacks. 2 bucks was hard to scrap up back then
    I imagine.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  3. Crazy Teenagers!:eek:

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  4. "THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER"

5. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Punished? You should be thanked for sharing our true roots and educating the young here on the HAMB!

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

7. williebill

williebill

I'm guessing that some of our older HAMBers are in those pics.
    Fess up, Grandpa......

Deuces likes this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! As good a reason as any I suppose...

Deuces likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I have extras,so you get one! [​IMG]

10. Bomber1961

Bomber1961

Ahh, typical behavior for a hooligan Sooner. Well at least your not a horrible Texas Longhorns fan!! lol
    Keep up the great work and remember this phrase when your feeling down, it will pick you up smiling!!
    GO BIG RED HUSKERS!!!!!!! LOL

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

It could be worse: you could have been one of those “road hogs” mentioned in the article. That would be tough to recover from. :rolleyes:

winduptoy and Deuces like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think everyone should be punished for talking about football (grown men overpaid to play a kids game) on a traditional hotrod forum.......

seadog, DenverFlash, 5window and 22 others like this.
  13. Yikes! That shot of the boy getting his rear end dusted brings back some memories.
    If that paddle had some holes drilled in it, the effect (and pain) is longer lasting. Just sayin’.
    I got hooked in 10th grade with a guy’s 40 Standard coupe with 301 SBC and 4 speed.
    Thanks for the great pictures.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool story.
    Bad bad hot rodders.
    Stick around till the end. The video is on topic.

15. Classic

mad mikey likes this.
  16. You forget the discussions of Merkins and donuts?

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good old Gene Carlson. We always knew he was "slightly bent."

18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuck Yeah!!! I feel like it's 1992 and I'm watching the Headbanger's Ball!!! :D
    I always liked the clip of Ohio George and Stone, Woods & Cookie, too! :cool:

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and Tman like this.
  19. Damned hoodlums!! MY daughter will NEVER get in a car with one of those greasy punks!!

20. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Somebody's mom is PISSED her new 53/54 210 got towed.

I hope it had Fentons and an Thickson on it already.

chryslerfan55 and patterg2003 like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It was quite a while ago, but the memory of it still rings in my brain. As a new teenager coming into a well known high school with all of its history in sports, teen activities and such, one gets sucked right into the whole scene. The hot rods and cruisers we already knew about from my brother’s friends. But to experience the whole teenage thing was eye opening.

There were the normal things as shown by the histories from some people, but new friends, new ideas, camaraderie between friends, and making new friends was tantamount to having a great experience in high school. It was that important to a lot of my old friends and the new friends from other junior high school campus groups. (4 schools leading into one high school)

So, various clubs had their list of incoming teenagers and the rush to have the new teens started with the first day of school. Those clubs were from all walks of life and subjects. Some had a lot of athletes, some had the student government leaders, some were girls only and others were subject related.

Those paddle scenes were popular until the community got wind of the hazing that was going on during the club meetings. Solid oak units were popular in the 50s from the school administrations all over So Cal. Corporal punishment (push ups, paddling, physical activities) were in use to keep “rowdy” pre teens and teenagers in place. The fear of a wooden paddle was all it took for most students.

But, in high school in 1959, that fear of corporal punishment for teenagers was stopped by parents and the community. Those clubs, in their meetings, took over and continued until they, too, got the tail end and got thrown off campus for good. Hanging out at school was part of history and so were the various groups. What went on at meetings, hazing, still goes on today, although it is supposed to be secret. (Think idiot fraternities and sororities)

Jnaki

Our hot rod oriented teenagers, were accepted into various clubs and the camaraderie of the groups was friendly for the most part. Until those Saturday afternoon tackle football games during the Spring semester brought out the intensity of favoring our own group versus other challengers. Part of the Saturday night gatherings at the local drive-in restaurant parking lots had a lot of banter going on and the club scene was one topic, as well as hot rods.

For us, it wasn’t just the hot rod kids that got the intense scrutiny, but it was all teenagers and their growing up antics. It was the same all over the city and So Cal. YRMV

22. patterg2003

patterg2003

No harm or foul. History is history so no denying events. The information hit the newspapers so it was common knowledge back in its day with the information likely available in a library or newspaper archive. The kids were publicly embarrassed by the authorities and none of them would be recognizable today. It seems nowadays there are those that have to spool up over anything. Those of us who went to college and university know that we all did stupid things back then. Kids with money could do it bigger and more stupid. 99% of the time we got away with a little crazy that may have crossed a line with no harm to anyone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean punished more than you already are being the headmaster of this asylum ?

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$1.00 apiece, we talking mucho dinero here;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. I remember "The Paddle" being used at school. I was even sent to the office once myself to get a whack or two. :p
    But it was more common when you had to face the music from the guys, you were required to "Run The Beltline" with the boys lined up in 2 facing rows, belts in hand, ready to pop you in the butt as you ran between them. :rolleyes: :eek:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like a little "spanky" once in a while;):eek:

27. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you enjoy it then it's not really punishment!

hotrodjack33 and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I was in first grade, at our elementary school, the paddle with holes in it was a real thing, this was 1959, I was 6 years old, and I was a class clown of sorts. I remember I got sent to the principles office once for misbehavior and was told to have a seat in the principles office and that he would be back in a few minutes.

I am sure this was a scare tactic to let me sweat it out for a bit, and notice the dreaded paddle hanging on the wall starring back at me ! I was terrified of that dam paddle, I saw my chance and took it.

I noticed that the filing cabinet in the corner of the room, wasn't all of the way to the wall and I grabbed the paddle off of its hook, and I dropped it behind the filing cabinet and then just sat back down in the chair!

The principle arrived in a few minutes and did the usual routine of saying how disappointed he was with me, as I just sat there looking down at the floor, as he asked me what type of punishment I thought would be deserved? By this time he had me pretty rattled and I was right on the verge of tears and crying, his tactics had worked!

All I knew was, he could rattle on and chew me out, but he wasn't going to get a chance to use that dam paddle on me at that moment! I was told to return to class and behave myself !

I was grinning to myself all the way back down the hallway, it was my first real experience at being deviant and learning how to beat the system, I got lucky that time!

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those rat bastard USC hoodlums give us all a bad name.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  30. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and this is why we can't have nice things!