Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What cars had a 6 volt, positive gnd system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Dec 8, 2021.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Hey guys, I'm searching for a radio to fit my '49 IH Truck dash, and it seems like it would be a lot easier if I knew what car manufactures & years that used a 6v, pos gnd. I don't want to cut the dash, only remove the radio delete plate.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Mopars up through 1955……I think Fords too, same model year range…

It may be possible to convert positive ground radios to negative ground.. I seem to recall it has to do with the infamous ‘vibrator tube’ polarity May be more to it than that..

Ray

Bob Lowry likes this.
  3. 1952henry

1952henry

Yes to Ford, until 55? when 12 volt came into vogue.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  4. Dave Mc likes this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Used to be able to get voltage doublers with grd reversing capability's so you have option of later 12v radios.

6. finn

finn

Ford switched from six volt positive ground to twelve volt negative ground for the 1956 model year.

WB69, Hnstray and porknbeaner like this.
  7. Truckedup

Truckedup

8. BJR

BJR

Just look in a 50's Motors Manual. It will list all the cars and their electrical systems.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of those 6 volt radios are huge because they are all tube type. Meaning that even in a Binder you may not have room to put some of them. Then some like the 50/51 Mercury used part of the instrument cover as their face lens.
    Take a look at 52/54 Ford car radios. Not all that big and the face plate is part of the radio.

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Radios don't care about the ground.

We used '50 - '52 Buick or Cad Wonderbars in earlier pickups, just bolted them to the firewall. Our stereo guy had disappearing antennas we'd stick in the LF stake pocket by bending the tab up & reaming the hole. Ran the lead underneath, came thru the thumb hole in the floor. Back then, the radios were $5 - $15, & sounded great.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Cadillacs up to about 1950? some of the older ones used a "remote" radio box and speaker,they had a set of knobs and dial in the dash and the main box was attached via 2 cables that were hooked to it,they are rare and expensive if you can even find one?.harvey

12. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Packard up to early fifties.

13. Is this a K series truck? I have never seen a K series with a cut out for a radio. Can you post a larger photo of the dash?
    I have a '46 K1 and mounted an underdash radio in it.

14. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Studebakers thru 1955. However, I would recommend getting a marine battery box and putting a 12v battery in the trunk just to power the radio if you need something that bad.
    <edit> or behind the seat in a truck.

15. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Truck is a '49 L-122.

I think this may fit the factory cutout. I'm just waiting for the seller to give me a few more measurements

Attached Files:

16. Dad's '51 Kaiser did

17. Mimilan

Mimilan

You can also leave the dash as-is and use a hidden [5v-24v] bluetooth amplifier and use your phone as a radio.
    These are isolated and have 2 input wires [from a barrel plug ] that can be reversed.

Here is a thread on a 12v version we did in our 57. [We also have the same unit in our house fed from a 18v AC adaptor]
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...th-sound-system-install-non-invasive.1155455/

here is a 5v-24v unit for sale.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/124107165465

Using your phone gives you FM channels, live streaming etc etc
    plus any stored music

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  18. derbydad276

derbydad276

19. pre 66 volkswagon

20. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

VWs are negative Ground.

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not entirely in agreement with that statement. May be true of many, but not all. In the ‘60s I was working in a Ford/Mercury shop and an old gentleman brought in his 1959 Mercury and wanted his radio repaired. I was assigned to remove it and send it to a repair shop. Radio came back, I installed…..didn’t work. Pulled it again, sent to the shop again, etc. Didn’t work that time either.

I don’t recall exactly what prompted the discovery, but eventually discovered the battery was installed with reverse polarity…..removed the battery, turned it end for end and connected it negative ground….voila’ …..the radio worked. Obviously I have never forgotten that lesson.

Ray

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^
    What I mean here is:
    Say for instance, you have a '54 Ford with a radio that quit. Your Ford is positive ground. You can take that '48 Chev radio (from a neg. grd. car) on the shelf, ground the case, run a 14 amp fused lead from a hot terminal to the radio's power terminal, and it'll work.

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Transistors are picky that way.

But vacuum tube equipped car radios in those days got the high voltage power from a "vibrator" right? Kind of a mechanical rectifier. DC for the tube filaments, they don't care about polarity. Something like that.