Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 396 overhaul

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 5, 2021.

1. It’s not necessary, it’s usually because I pull the rod out of the heater and fumble with it and the pin to push it in, it seems like I always have to do it once.

2. X-cpe

X-cpe

Back in the day we used to press piston pins using two deep sockets. On the larger one that was used to support the piston, we ground the socket away to fit the pin boss on the piston. They are still rattling around in the top of my tool box.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Cool thread. I honestly know next to nothing about the BBC, I've never really considered it to be a nostalgic engine and more like a muscle car engine. Not that there is anything wrong with that, especially for a custom that is going to leave the hood down. I had a 454 in a OT 95 Chevy K2500 I had with a plow on it, and it was a strong engine. I'm sure that big torque would be equally welcome in a big sled to pull all that weight around.

bobss396 and Thor1 like this.
  4. jaracer

jaracer

A friend and car builder who ran sprint cars for over 30 years, always ran a reverse rotation cam. It did away with chain stretch and the gears lasted a long time. I ran a Pete Jackson setup with floating idler gears (not reverse rotation). After running in various engines for 10 years, they still looked like new.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Well, that worked pretty slick. I put a line of the temp crayon on the small end of the rod, and heated with the propane torch. I think it took about a minute to get the end of the line to go away. I heated a little longer, it just started to turn straw color, then I held the rod in place, and pushed in the pin, and then added a few drops of oil. Feels good, and the pin is centered. Only seven more to go. And I got the number stamp on the rod lined up with the outboard side of the piston, also.

first rod.jpg

6. Budget36

Budget36

Nice. Did you just push the pin in by hand by hand on the drift I mean?

7. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing beats floaters with snap rings...;)

8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Throw the pins in the freezer......

Joe

Deuces likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, it slides right in if you do it right. Just have to be quick and deliberate about it.

There's no need to freeze the pins...I could heat the rod just a bit more, if I needed more clearance to get the pin in, but I don't. And I like to keep things simple.

enloe, Deuces, Thor1 and 9 others like this.
  10. X-cpe

X-cpe

The simpler you keep things the less there is to screw up.

11. Thanks for the picture of your jig. What temperature temp stick do you use?

12. squirrel

squirrel

13. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Glad you didn't get a hang up w/ a torch. Some cats set up their jig next to the beer box in the shop.....

Joe

winduptoy likes this.
  14. Dyce

Dyce

My first BB was a 65 396 too. It came out of a scrap pile. It had a dent in the deck from something dropping on it. By the time I got done decking the block the piston all stuck .008 out of the hole! I ran it with tock felpro gaskets and never had trouble. With the closed chamber heads it was very responsive!!

bobss396, squirrel and Thor1 like this.
  15. I change rod and main bearings every two seasons depending on how much track time and miles are put on. I have never had a bearing problem to date.

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any progress?

17. squirrel

squirrel

No, I got distracted with another project....which has a deadline.

enloe, Deuces and rod1 like this.
  18. sunbeam

sunbeam

I remember a story going around that L88 used the gear drive But I was only around one a 1967 Corvette. It had a chain a very stout stocker I saw it run a 12.7 on Firestone wide ovals

enloe and Deuces like this.
  19. noboD

noboD

Are we keeping secrets?

20. squirrel

squirrel

No, it's just off topic....53 MG TD. for an upcoming LeMons Rally.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You could take a few pictures of Almost Funny or Plan II with the MG in the background. :rolleyes:

Deuces and upspirate like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

I have several pics with the opposite...

and here's a piston/rod comparison....396 on the left.

piston comparison.jpg

24. rusty valley

rusty valley

an MG TD would be on topic in my world

enloe, OFT, Dick Stevens and 2 others like this.
  25. Very interesting picture of the two pistons and rods side to side. Kind of a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde kind of thing.

26. upspirate

upspirate

Some of the marine engines were reverse rotation for counter-rotating props in dual engine set-ups to even out the torque.
    Here is the only BBC I owned. .030 over 12-1 427. (Back in the 260 Sunoco days)
    Always wanted to see what it'd do in a car scan0004.jpg

Tim_with_a_T, bchctybob, OFT and 4 others like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '50 MGTD with a flathead 60 when I got drafted in '71. Don't know if it would be considered OT or not. Still a fun car but the 60 didn't cut it performance wise. It got replaced with MGA running gear.

28. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This made me LOL. Thanks for clarifying! :D

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@squirrel I've been watching the MG progress on Instagram, looks like a fun little car.

And to keep it on the thread topic, here's a close up of the BBC & MG rods posted by squirrel earlier in this thread. Do any of you worry about small nicks in connecting rods being the genesis of a stress fracture and eventual rod failure? I always smooth them out if I can without removing too much material. Rod Nicks.JPG

bchctybob, enloe, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Jim, for a cool story. I've got a 396 in an OT Chevelle that will be going to my son soon. It's sat for a long time so a lot of work need to be done.

Thor1 likes this.