Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1957 NY'er sat since '71

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldwood, Dec 8, 2021.

1. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I bought this car at the Texas Hoarder auction and was last licensed in 1971. I bought it to sell but no one wants a non-running 392 4dr HT. I've been cleaning and this car is really solid. Rockers are the worst part. I have the valve covers off and filled the cyl's with MMO. The motor is not stuck. The heads had a lot of sludge. Since the rockers are held in by the head bolts which keeps me from disassembling the Rockers. so I guess I'll rotate the engine and prime the motor with the distributor shaft. I thought about dropping the center link and dropping the oil pan. That way I could drop caps and clean bearing and crank and OP. It has almost every option. Its going to take a while to make sure this HEMI survives.

Attached Files:

2. George

George

Put "Hemi Tech Index" by Scooter McRad in search and start reading.

osage orange likes this.
  3. If the engine is not stuck, seems to me it should be taken apart and fully checked out. May be good shape and a full cleaning is sufficient, but I doubt it. Which will probably lead to a full rebuild. Play it safe and don't risk messing up the engine by trying to start it. Engine is too valuable to risk damaging it.

osage orange likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another "how hard can it be?" project

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am about 9-years into one of those, and 16-years into another.

I have decide that these two are my last.

6. Squablow

Squablow

What was the "Texas hoarder auction"? Got any pics from the auction, or other pics of the car? I like those cars, seems worthwhile to me.

7. Squablow

Squablow

Forget that, now I remember the auction. Some great deals there. Still would like to see more of the car though.

8. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was hoping to get it running without spending HEMI money. I know the answer but It could happen on a poor mans budget.

Attached Files:

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Brakes, steering, suspension and safety are paramount. Establish your goals, set a [realistic] budget and factor in contingencies.

oldwood likes this.
  10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stick to your plan of pulling the pan, I'd be pulling the heads too if they are that dirty. Be aware those suckers are HEAVY! Good luck with it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Well , that's no fun !;)

osage orange likes this.