Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What rear tires are these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Who sells rear tires like these two cars have? 255.jpg Dick-king-1929-ford-roadster4.jpg

Coker? They have these. No pie crust edge though.
    firestone-dirt-rear_1.png

Stogy and jetnow1 like this.
  2. Probably pie-crust slicks that somebody had the tread pattern cut into. That used to be done with regrooving irons that were usually used on big truck tires. You might check with some truck tire outfits.

They used to make big truck tires that had extra-thick tread area rubber. The tread wasn't full depth due to too much 'squirm', so once the original tread wore down they would cut it deeper.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, Towel City will groove pie crust slicks to order. I paid a few extra bucks and got these built on new tires rather than old carcasses. They are heavy but balanced just fine.
    upload_2021-12-8_11-36-5.png

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The hand siping on those Towel City rears is great, for a very pre-64 dirt track look.

dana barlow likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had those in the rain one night at the beach, I don't recommend that! :eek:

Stogy, Sancho and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. jaracer

jaracer

I grooved a lot of tires like this for dirt tracks. Hoosier used to offer racing caps with a ton of rubber on them. You grooved them and when the edges of the blocks got dull, you cut them back to get a nice sharp edge. We also cut sypes in the blocks.

Oh yeah, when you pull the rubber out of the groove you just cut, one end is real hot!

X-cpe, RJP, seb fontana and 2 others like this.
  7. Great! Thanks guys, looks like Towel City is the way to go.