Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FLAME THROWER FAIL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Dec 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clik

Clik

So, I was playing around with a gas BBQ grill ignitor coil.
    It runs on a AA battery.
    I found that it would fire two standard spark plugs.
    I didn't want to do the wash-out-the-rings-ignition-interrupter-thing for something as trivial as flame throwers.
    I tapped a spark plug into the top of each 4" pipe.
    I made a couple of injectors out of 3/16" brake line.
    I hooked up an electric click-clack fuel pump to feed the injectors from a 1 gallon can so that I could mix various fuels.
    Fuel and spark were controlled with momentary switches.
    Test: FAIL. No flames.
    I then moved the plugs to the very bottom.
    Test: FAIL. No flames.
    So, I'm thinking that the spark isn't hot enough.
    I'm wondering if I could use a fast turn signal flasher to trigger regular automotive coils?

Spoggie likes this.
  2. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I can not help you with that, but I could sell you some firecrackers...

samurai mike, SS327, Dino 64 and 6 others like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You are asking for trouble. STOP while you're ahead.
    Clik, Before you continue playing with fire visit the local burn unit of your hospital.

4. Clik

Clik

Maybe you should sell that old Ford and get a modern safety car with funny bumpers, crush zones, side curtain air bags and shoulder harnesses.

desotot, iwanaflattie, TA DAD and 7 others like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I'm with 19Fordy, sounds kinda dumb and really dangerous.

6. The idea sounds like a feasible progression in the experiment. I can't offer much more, apologies. Good to see you on the board mate, christmas blessings to you from down under.

Clik likes this.
  7. I have toyed with a very similar idea. On the surface it sounds great, but I never went on from my mind and on to a real project. While I'm not afraid of fire, I do have a great deal of respect for both fire, and the pent up power stored in gasoline and other hydrocarbon fuels.

Flamethrowers are cool and I will continue to be a spectator. Good luck with your project, just be careful.

8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

HEI distributor mated to a motor to get things spinning, wired to one switch. A spark plug in each pipe or two if you're feeling frisky.

'80s VW mechanical fuel injectors mated to an electric fuel pump, wired to another switch. Small tank in trunk mated to said fuel system.

Rev it up and go, ask me how I know. The results will probably scare you enough to remove the entire kit and kaboodle, but it will impress your friends until you burn your car down.

9. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

my 2c,

you need to vapourize the fuel for it to work, hosing it out of a 3/16 pipe isnt gunna cut it.

That said, I probably wouldn't bother, it smacks of mid-intersection donuts sideshow BS.

10. twenty8

twenty8

Might see you on the news.....................:confused::confused::confused:

11. Roupe

Roupe

Baron, SS327, Clik and 1 other person like this.
  12. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

So, you are injecting fuel into the exhaust, full of exhausts that don't contain any oxygen so the fuel can't burn, and try to ignite it?

13. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

nnnnnNNNNOOO....

Dino 64, Greenblade, Spooky and 2 others like this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

2 main issues,
    1. You don't have enough spark,
    2.The fuel has to be vaporized to work.

The fuel must be injected upstream of the ignition source... About a foot minimum should be close to enough to get the vapor to expand in the exhaust stream to get ignition.

BUT I didn't tell you this... and I was never here.

15. How’s about you don’t use LIQUID FUEL !!!!!! That may or may not ignite .

Cause now you’ll have a puddle of fuel in your tail pipe , on the ground around your car, so when it dies ignite ……… it won’t be a happy moment.

You need an ignition coil to get the HOT spark you need and a controlled way to fire the plugs multiple times in very short order ( milliseconds)

and a way to inject the gas , not liquid fuel but a gas ( propane , butane etc)

Flame throwers are cool …… I guess . But need to be. Done correctly to avoid a big mess

16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Because that's the same! Lmfao.

Personally I think flame throwers are gaf, but you go boyeeeeeeee.

17. Clik

Clik

That's a possibility. I figured with two 4" pipes there'd be enough air near the outlets.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno...building a flamethrower system using un-burnt fuel/exhaust, and your choke is traditional!

Building a flamethrower system using an auxiliary fuel system and injectors (besides being stupid), is more of a 1990s thing...and probably not really a HAMB friendly subject. IMHO

19. Clik

Clik

You're really splitting hairs with the "traditional" thing. Every part used was available back in the day and it's not like I'm playing with a programable ignition system. Granted, flame throwers weren't traditional with some categories of hot rodders but they were with a lot of custom owners.

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

They look cool (hot?) bit I’d never run one due to safety and/or liability issues.

However a few years back I saw a news item on TV where there were apparently popular in South Africa where they exited not at the rear but just under the driver’s door. Use to prevent car jacking...

alanp561, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You east coast boys are really hung up on that flame thrower bs it seems. Far more than guys out west anyhow.
    Still I have to go along with the concept of the fuel being properly atomized and proper fuel/air mixture at ignition. Plus you most likely need to do some research on where to place the plug in the pipe. It seems that most of the clowns you see with flame throwers have the plug about half way down the pipe that serves as the tip.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Though it was rev it up, kill the ignition, pump the gas, then retard the ignition and hit the switch.
    Any others were with propane.

jimmy six likes this.
  23. twenty8

twenty8

This^^^
    Stoichiometric ratio will be the secret..............you need oxygen.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Just remember, your skin is your friend......... When things go bang it happens real quick.

24. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Yep.

Normal gasoline engine exhaust has bugger-all oxygen in it. Combustion in the cylinder eats almost all of it up. With a "traditional" flamethrower, you cut the ignition for a period of time. That lets the air flow into the cylinder, not ignite, and pass into the exhaust. The plug can then ignite it near the exhaust tip. The oxygen needed for ignition comes from the cylinder, not the exhaust tip mixing.

Igniting it further forward, near the muffler, is not a wise move.... very confined, and more likely to bang than flame. Almost every kid at some stage has tried coasting along, turning off the ignition (to fill the exhaust with air and fuel) then turning the key back on. The burning exhaust gas ignites the exhaust system in front of the muffler, and often detonates in the muffler. Most fathers have had to replace a bellowed muffler from their kids learning this :oops::rolleyes:. The Aussie term for such an activity is "key bangers".

Cheers,
    Harv

25. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I'm curious what Hagerty or Grundy, just to name a couple, would say about this?

26. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Laugh, shake their heads and walk away?

49ratfink likes this.
  27. ...........More likely, smirk, rip your policy in half and then walk away!:eek:

28. Callmaker

Callmaker

This is my opinion on flamethrowers, and I know you didn't ask for it. You may not give a rats ass about your safety, but think about those who are around the damn thing when you fire it up. Stupid shit!!

29. It's called natural selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.