Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fairlane fans this race was fun to watch...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Dec 7, 2021.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

2. Doing what America muscle does. HRP

3. They keep referring to the Fairlane as a 'Thunderbolt', I'm pretty sure that it's SBF powered. If it is FE powered, it's not something that Ford built...

loudbang and F-ONE like this.
  4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It was built by Holman-Moody, there's a picture of that car at the top of their website. They built several of these cars in recent years, they're replicas of what they built back in 1964 and uses a 427 side oiler.
    http://www.holmanmoody.com

1964 Fairlane Sports Car - Holman Moody is building 3 new Fairlane Race Cars. The original Fairlane was raced in 1964 by Holman Moody and Alan Mann Racing. These new cars are complete with 427 race engine, aluminum top loader, fiberglass fenders & doors, Ready to race in historic events. The first new 1964 Fairlane raced in Europe in 2004, winning its’ class in the first race! Holman & moody has now sold three of these road racing ThunderBolts.
    http://www.holmanmoody.com/sports_gal.html

Here's a Motor Trend article about them.
    https://www.motortrend.com/features/hdrp-0605-1964-holman-moody-ford-fairlane/

loudbang, Blues4U, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Steve, they said it was a 7Liter/427.
    It looks to be a Hardtop.
    Steve, you know all Fairlanes are Thunderbolts.;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting Note: Fireball Roberts tested a 1964 Ford Fairlane Hardtop Coupe built by Holman and Moody for Nascar in January?? 1964. Nascar was researching the mid-size for Nascar. Holman and Moody built two of these Hardtop Coupes. These two cars went to Europe and competed in Road Races. Bothe were returned to Holman and Moody in the early 200s and restored.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

Same driver behind the wheel of this T-bird....

loudbang, Blues4U, 34 GAZ and 4 others like this.
  7. williebill

williebill

8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Always loved watching this Galaxie muscling past Jags and Cortinas-

loudbang, Blues4U, 34 GAZ and 3 others like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The little Ford looks big next to the European cars, the Galaxy is fun to watch as it sashay's through the corners...
    If you lesion for it you can here the 427s.

Joe Travers, loudbang and F-ONE like this.
  10. OK, it's a H-M one-off (now five-off! LOLOL) and that's 'official' enough for me!

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know we are here for the Fairlane, but damn I love watching those Cortinas hanging tough!

Joe Travers, Blues4U and F-ONE like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I an odd question….why do,they put tape in an x over the head lights on those track cars?

Bones

loudbang and F-ONE like this.
  14. Few more examples. Looks like masking tape was OK as well. Lot,s of racers were weekend racers then with a registered street car as race car. Like the big Customline or the relaxed :cool: guy in the last pic.
    FC HOLDEN.jpg FJ SIDEWAYS.jpg FX sideways.jpg HUMPIE.jpg customline.jpg 48-215-fj-holdens-rockin-rollin-tweakin-and-cheatin-in-the-50s-and-60s.jpg

15. That's a fun video, thanks for posting :)

16. I was told it's to retain the glass lens in the case of something coming up from the track and breaking it. But who knows

17. The road racing, Oz version of Wild Willie Borsch ? ? ?
    :eek:

F-ONE, Joe Travers and loudbang like this.

18. If you look at some really, really, really old NASCAR Daytona race pics it's common to see headlamps completely covered with masking tape. On some cars the front bumper and grille and other moldings would be taped over as well, especially at the earliest races that were actually run on the beach. You get the sense that some of these cars were someones daily driver. Or if they survived they might end up for sale on the front row of some car dealer's lot.

:rolleyes:

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool clip!

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I love those Goodwood videos, I've spent many an evening watching them. The Cortina's remind me of the one a buddy had back in high school, we beat the hell out of that car; it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Even did a little off-roading/hill climbing with it, LOL!

21. loudbang

loudbang

Europeans " well American cars are fast but they don't handle" Sorry charlie :cool:

F-ONE, Blues4U, Joe Travers and 2 others like this.
  22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

When cable TV first became available, I used to catch the '60s NASCAR race replays @ 2 AM. Those big blocks hitting the banks just rumbled away like heavy thunder. :cool:

Joe

williebill and F-ONE like this.