Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 61 Falcon - Father Son Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Oct 21, 2021.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thanks Guys. Yes, the motor is a 200. It has been gone thru and runs really smoothly.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

We had a great time working on the Falcon last night. First off we got that column piece back in. It was a bit of a trick, but I'm glad we didnt have to pull the column out of the car.

IMG_4005.jpeg

IMG_4004.jpeg

Next we got to work on wiring.

IMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_3998.jpeg

I 3D printed some firewall plugs. They turned out real nice.

IMG_4028.jpeg

IMG_4029.jpeg

IMG_4002.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg

Can anyone tell me if this is for sure an internally regulated alternator? Im pretty sure it is, since I cannot find a voltage regulator in this car...

IMG_4043.JPG IMG_4045.JPG

Thor1, Irish Mike and loudbang like this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

That appears to be a Delco 10si, wired in the "one-wire" configuration - it is internally regulated. I only "mess" with alternators about every 5 years - I use this web site to refresh my memory:
    Index page: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

One wire vs three wire (general knowledge and wiring): http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

Delco 10si vs Delco 12si (Newer generation alt handles more amperage and internally cools better) : http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

Good luck

4. Man, those are some high-tech firewall plugs! :D

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  5. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Great work you two! :) Nothing beats building a project to create life-long memories.
    Count your blessings, my son is still on the Ipad. :mad:

6. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thanks Guys!

loudbang likes this.
  7. They are great cars…We had the ‘65 Futura…

8. Georelle

Georelle

Great father son project. I just completed restoring my '61 Falcon.
    I did a father son project with my son about 7 years ago when he was in high school. It was an '84 Fiero that we still own and still work on together.
    My Falcon restore started out similar to yours. It came from a guy that started to restore it and decided to move to other projects. It had a 200ci and 3 speed floor shift from a 67 Mustang. I converted it to a column shift from parts off a junkyard donor. I did the Scarebird 5 bolt disc brake conversion in the front and swapped in a 5 bolt 8" rear end out of a '77 Maverick. I would Highly recommend swapping the single brake master cylinder with a dual master for safety reasons.
    You don't need power steering if sticking with the inline 6. It's pretty easy even with the smaller than stock steering wheel I have. Your boy should not have any issues. I had the steering box rebuilt by Lares Corporation. Assembling the column and installing isn't as hard as it seems. I was kind of dreading it but it all went together pretty easy. My steering wheel looked exactly like yours. I put in a 3 spoke chrome with wood wheel similar to what some of the sprints had.
    I will be following the progress and will offer help when possible.
    Good luck

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  9. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thanks for the reply! It's nice that so many here know about these cars.

10. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

We had a few hours this afternoon to work on the Falcon. We didnt get a whole lot done, but I took the time to show and explain to my son why its important to do things right the first time, so the work we did do turned out real nice...

Wiring...
    IMG_4169.jpeg
    IMG_4179.jpeg

For some reason the connectors that came with the Rebel wire harness didn't want to fit on the old headlights. We ended up breaking the tab off one of the lights trying to push it on. We needed new headlamps anyway, so if the connectors don't fit the new lights, we will just use the old plugs.

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

Hopefully we will have time to work on it this coming week...

brEad, Thor1, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  11. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I have a quick question.

Where are the oil pressure and water temp senders on this motor? I see them both on the drivers side, but I am now sure which is which...

Im assign the upper one in the back is the temp sender, and the one lower and more towards the center is the oil pressure.

Also, Does anyone have a pic, or can tell me the correct horn location? I assume its in from of the core support, but you know what happens when you assume...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

The oil pressure one probably has 1/8" NPT threads screwing into the engine and the water temp one 1/2" NPT threads. Mount the horn somewhere on the rad support; shouldn't really matter where. It has been a long time since I had my old Falcon Ranchero.

13. They were actually mounted on the little braces that rum from the lower core support to the front cross member. Mine were pretty rusted on the wife's car, a '62 but Mustang parts are identical and were used. The horns bolt down on top of each side.

Thor1, loudbang and Georelle like this.
  14. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thanks for the info!!

We got a nice little chunk done yesterday. We finished wiring the headlights, and put in 2 new bulbs. We also got the engine compartment rewire done, except for the one push on plug for the temp sender.

We also got the horns mounted and the hood put on. Its crazy what a difference the hood makes!
    IMG_4235.jpeg IMG_4234.jpeg IMG_4220.jpeg IMG_4229.jpeg

15. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Great job. My first car was a 61 Falcon. It was my Dad's he died when I was 15 and Mom gave it to me. Wish I still had it but that was 49 years ago.
    Good luck it looks great.

Thor1, blown240 and loudbang like this.
  16. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thanks!

Can someone point me in the right direction for the plug that goes on the temp sender? I know that a lot of the Ford bullet connectors are a strange size, but this one is smaller.

Thor1 likes this.
  17. Georelle

Georelle

I couldn't find this either. I just put a wire lug on the wire going to the sensor and secured with a nut & lock washer. The post on the temp sensor is threaded so you can put a nut on it.

18. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Got it. Thanks!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

20. Very cool Falcon. Happy to see you working on it with the kid!

loudbang, Thor1 and warhorseracing like this.
  21. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

We had a nice time working on the car yesterday. We got the ignition switch wired up, put some fresh gas in and then got the car it fire up. It doesn't seem like much, but being able to turn the key, and have the car start was a huge WIN for my boy! (that tumbler sure did fight us for a while though...LOL)

IMG_4295.jpg

brEad, slim38, gimpyshotrods and 7 others like this.
  22. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That style Falcon actually makes a good base for a mild custom... 1st make it safe. 2nd make it reliable. Then shave the words, etc. off, mild lowering, caps & rings and such to just clean it up. That'll make a great cruiser for the lad!
    Falcon.jpg Falcon-Futura-custom.jpg

MO_JUNK, brEad, 1949*john and 3 others like this.
  23. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Yup! Thats the plan! He likes the stock look, but I know as soon as he takes it to a couple shows, he may want to customize it.

Thor1 likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few things that I would recommend that will not affect the stock look, or be lost during customization:

1. The aforementioned Shelby Drop upper control arm relocation.
    2. A 1" front anti-sway bar. This can come from the 65-66 Mustang parts bins. It fits fine.
    3. KYB GR-2 shocks on all four corners, else KYB Gas-a-Just shocks (valving a little stiffer, but not harsh).

None of these are expensive things to do, and they will be of immeasurable help in improving the stability handling of the car.

Fingers, brEad and Thor1 like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, if you find yourself rebuilding the front suspension, complete 65-66 Mustang lower control arms are the least expensive route to take; however, the bolt spread where the strut rod attaches is not the same. It would require die grinding to make it fit. It is a PITA, as the rods are hardened steel.

I was liquidating a storage unit over the weekend, and held back the strut rods that were on my '60 Falcon. They already have the modification. You can have them. You would only need to modify your mild steel steering stops to make them work (easy).

Thor1 likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot stress enough the value of swapping out the Load-O-Matic distributor, in favor or a later Duraspark II and module (attached box on inner fender). This can be had at your local self-service yard for about $40ish. Hook it to manifold vacuum.

The Load-O-Matic had no centrifugal weights. It had an elaborate set of springs and vacuum diaphragms that tried, emphasis on tried, to match spark advance to engine demand. It is controlled by the Spark Control Valve (SCV) on the carburetor. It looks like a Holley power valve, but on the outside.

My progenitors tell me that these did not work all that well when they were brand new.

When I swapped out the one on my 144, when I still had a 144, it felt like I gained 25hp (and probably did).

ottoman and Thor1 like this.
  27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Also, in addition to what Gimpy said a strut brace that goes from side to side. It keeps the top side of the shock towers from flexing. It's a Mustang part.

Thor1 likes this.
  28. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

Congratulations Mike and Gavin! It's coming along nicely. Also, I want to commend all the HAMBers on this thread who've willingly offered their encouragement, knowledge, experience, and even parts! There's a bunch of really good guys on here!

brEad, Thor1 and warhorseracing like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tub is narrower on an early Falcon.

Thor1 likes this.
  30. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

When I turned 16 I got a 1960 Comet with the so called weakly 144 with 3 speed on the column. They say they only had 3 main bearing and were weak motors. BULLSHIT. I ran the ever loving crap out of that car and it never once failed me. BTW, your 200 needs a vented cap on the valve cover to match the pcv valve on the other end, trust me.

loudbang likes this.