Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cigar lighter burns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Dec 3, 2021.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Not sure were I saw it the other day but some fellas were talkin about how their horn buttons had cigar lighter burns in the center and it may have been a trend. I dont know if thats true but I found this in my stash last night 20211202_172454.jpg

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just say that some bonehead was dinking around with the lighter and that bonehead may have been a ten year old who was left in the car while the old man ran into the store for a few minutes. I never saw or heard of anything like that around here and I am 75.

hrm2k, Irish Mike, beegator and 7 others like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'm guilty - did it to the horn ring cap on the family '48 Dodge at 8 or 9 years old. I found the remains of a cigar in the ashtray, lit it up, & started playing with the lighter while I enjoyed the fine taste of years old tobacco. Dad blessed me with an array of Swede cusswords ...
    Later in life, I'd see dead cars with every plastic interior part wrecked by lighter.

Irish Mike, Hnstray, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I learned about cigar lighters the hard way myself! Probably 4 yrs old, left in the pickup, pushed a button and when it popped back out it was pretty and red on the end....unfortunately the test target was my thumb and oh boy i never did that again!

hrm2k, Irish Mike, Hnstray and 14 others like this.

5. RmK57

RmK57

What a waste of a 1 year only horn button.

Irish Mike, Hnstray, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

back in the hippie days, a lot of my friends used the lighter to finish up a reefer!

BJR, Jack Wagon, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

YES !!!!! The famed Casco "Ash Guard" !!!!!!

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Yup....way nicer still than my other one

Deuces likes this.
  9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I can smell that from here. wonder how many kids got caught by Mom when she got a whif.

seb fontana, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Little kids sitting alone in the car did bad stuff sometimes. I remember that pressing the brakes while the four way emergency flashers were on, the AM radio would work intermittently.

11. The first car I remember my dad having was a ’56 Chevy wagon. He smoked and used the lighter in the car, so one day when he wasn’t in the car I tried it out – on the end of my finger. The lighter coils didn’t look hot but I didn’t have any fingerprint on that finger for quite a while

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Mine was red hot, same outcome.... what a lesson

Jack Wagon, Deuces and seb fontana like this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My dad ran into my grandparents house and left me alone in the car. I soon discovered the cigarette lighter. I must have been 5 or 6. I branded my dads fairly new 59 Olds. I vividly remember the difference between knobs (radio, window) steering wheel, upholstery and headliner. I distinctly remember how disappointed I was on the headliner, it just poked though. Oddly enough, dad didn’t give me a whooping.

Budget36, 302GMC, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could feel the heat radiating, but the glowing coil was just too tempting! OUCH! Muthafuck that hurts! (This happened yesterday...) :oops:

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Hahahaha

Deuces and seb fontana like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

My '57 Chevy has a lighter burn on the horn button plastic too. Not as bad as the '53 Ford one above, but clearly that's what it is.

Deuces, loudbang and oliver westlund like this.
  17. I thought you meant "being burnt by a cig lighter".......You know when it's not glowing, and you stick your finger in it to see if it's even working? Not like I would know that, but realized I miss understood the question.= Dumbfuck club member here. Where are my fellow members???:oops:

Deuces, SS327, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Like others , around 5 or 6 ,I was told by my father not to play with the lighter it will burn you, Me curious thinking about how he lit his cigarettes and there was no flame like his Zippo, was left in a 66 SS push lighter in , when it popped
    Pulled ,looked in side ,Glowing Orange,
    & stuck my thumb in , yep it will burn you & No flame, & a few times I have burnt rigs on a steering wheel.

Deuces and oliver westlund like this.
  19. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Being kids of the 60’s we were left in the car a lot when mom and went in to a store. Not only did the steering get burned so did a lot hands. But only one time did the car get pulled out of park rolling backwards in another car, we learned quick on that one.

20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I had that one as a kid except it didnt get knocked out of park, the transmission had been having issues (automatic) dang truck started rolling down a sloped parking lot towards a busy street with me (9) and my brother (4) in it....thank god some man came running over and i unlocked the door, he engaged the parking brake and stayed with us until dad came back

bill gruendeman and Deuces like this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Add me to that list! Coils sure didn’t look hot but bugger, they were really hot!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  22. banjorear

banjorear

I did the same thing.

23. banjorear

banjorear

Dang, did this as well. '62 Olds Starfire parked on a hill. Fooling around behind the wheel, took it out of park, rolled for about 20 ft until I smashed into the car parked behind it.

24. I would like to be considered for induction into the Big Dumbass club also as I took the cigarette lighter in my fathers 1955 Buick Dynaflow lighter and decided to see what happened to my left index finger when I stuck it into that glowing end! Well it burned three distinct rings in the end of my finger quickly. My parents came out right after this as we were going for a Sunday drive and administered treatment to my now smoking finger end! After this all ended and I stopped crying cannot forget what my father said. He told me that I now have the brand of the Continental Can Company insignia right there on the end of the finger. And while I am confessing I might as well tell you that another time we were visiting relatives on another Sunday car ride. I was left outside to play so I jumped into a nice shiny black Mercury sedan with a standard transmission. So I noticed that nice shiny chrome plated start button on the dash waiting for me to push. Yup I pushed it. And of course the Merc moved forward scaring the hell out of me and the men folks sitting in chairs on the lawn. Thank goodness I let the button go. O.K. Now I have purged the evil inside me and confessed to the world! Feel much better now. I am sure I am not done. So do I get inducted into the club of DUMB ASSES?

25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course you do! But be aware, we are not that exclusive of an organization. All you really need is a good story to be admitted! It's worth the price though... :p Lol!!!

26. SO! It is YOUR fault we now find it necessary to "depress" the brake pedal in order to shift from P!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ben

Hnstray, das858, 19Eddy30 and 5 others like this.
  27. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Carpooling to high school in my 55 Stude President coupe. Shotgun passenger kept griping about how the cigarette lighter didn't work. Every day he would push it in to light his Lucky Strike and then bitch when it didn't work. One day I fixed it. Told the other riders to watch Shotgun's reaction. Because I backed off pressure on the tabs that retained the lighter in the socket. Sure enough. He gets in, pulls out a Lucky, pushes the lighter in and then, when it heats up, it pops out - right into his lap! He was dancing around for a bit and I told him not to bitch because the lighter was now working. Loud guffaws from the rear seat riders.

28. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I would be tempted to wet sand an buff.. Mite be surprised

29. Didn't burn fingers, but I sure was hell on carpets. Usually made sure there was a burn mark right next to the high beam switch. My ass met the razor strap many times for that little 'branding' exercise. I still blame BONANZA for those ass whuppings. Figured if it was ok for those guys, it had to be all right....;)

302GMC and Deuces like this.
  30. Well I guess that would be my fault for needing the brake depressed! O.K. I will own it. i humbly apologize for that one. Guess I gave my parents gray hair for sure but told my father before he passed that I was indeed a pain in the Ass and of course he agreed but I then thanked him for showing me how to become a man and treat people as we would like to be treated. He gave me a great gift. I never liked being called disturbed. What in the hell do that really mean!! (LOL) I enjoy this site. Therapy!!!

Hnstray and Deuces like this.