Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 Corvette engine

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by joe pejsa, Dec 6, 2021.

1. joe pejsa

joe pejsa

Looking for some help identifying a late 1961 283 Corvette engine. Block #3789935 Date code K111. stamp on the front is FIII6C?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  2. Don Harrell

Don Harrell

Sorry, Joe the cast date of K111 is to late for a Corvette produced in 1961 (last month of production was July, with "G" cast date) , which was the last use the the 283 engine. The 327 was used in all 1962 production, a 3782870 block#.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Don Harrell

Don Harrell

The passenger and trucks used that block, or it may have been a warranty replacement, but not the original that came in the Corvette..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. joe pejsa

joe pejsa

Thank you Don. I got this motor when I purchased a couple 1937 chevy pickup's and was told it was a numbers matching motor for a 62 Corvette. The 216 motor is questionable so I'm considering using the 283 and I didn't want to use it if it was a Corvette motor. The motor appears to be bored out, but is it true that some 283's were bored out at the factory to 327 for use in some 62 Corvette's? I'm just curious more than anything.

5. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

I thought all used small blocks were Corvette engines?

Jack Wagon and Slopok like this.
  6. joe pejsa

joe pejsa

From what I understand the 283 was used in Passenger cars and trucks in different years. I'm finding all sorts of information on the 283 and it's use from 57 to late 60's. Chevelle's, Camaro's, and trucks. I found one website, gregwapling.com that shows that the block #3789935 could have been used in a late model 61 car and vette. Based on what Don posted this is probably a passenger car motor. I'm not a mechanic, motor guy nor do I have much knowledge about motors. I'm just trying to learn about this motor I have from the people that might know. I've been told the FIII6C on the front doesn't make sense for a serial number?? Ultimately, I'm looking for options for replacing my 216 with a small block V8 or a Straight 6 and trying to learn on the way.

7. Don Harrell

Don Harrell

I agree with Phil, almost any Chevy v-8 gets represented as a Corvette motor (just throw on a set of aluminum valve covers). The Stamping on the pad indicate a "Flint" machined block on the 11th month and the 16th day with "C" defining the application. Etc CI, HP, trans, model. The 283, to me have been very good engines, many of the early thicker block were bored to "301"/"302" (heard it said both ways). Sounds like a good option for the truck, good luck.

elgringo71 likes this.
  8. joe pejsa

joe pejsa

This one is bored to 302 I believe (3.9" cylinder head) 3" stroke and power pack heads. Thanks for the comments.

9. Looking forward to watching your build.

10. joe pejsa

joe pejsa

Found the motor leak during final assembly and decided to put it together to get some drive time. Going to take the winter to make a decision on the motor. Would like to stay with the straight 6 look, but could use the 283 I have.