Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone ever sandblasted a 4-sp case???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Dec 4, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stainless ones won't rust on the shelf when you are not using them.

Always wear good eye protection, and an apron.

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/4" shaft wire brushes (cup type and solid round and conical) on a die grinder and the muck will be gone in moments. I use eye, ear and dust protection but the results are quickly achieved so its not too uncomfortable being safe. I find the brushes do not disintegrate despite 10,000 rpm. Not sure what they're actually rated at though.

Chris

3. evintho

evintho

I blasted my 302 but sealed it up really well. I used my Texas Blaster and fine coal slag from TSC. Tore it back down then washed it thoroughly, inside and out with hot soapy water then blew it dry with compressed air.

sandblasted block1.JPG

sandblasted block2.JPG

washing block1.JPG

washing block4.JPG

engine2.JPG

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  5. LOL I will keep that in mind. next time I am home expect this long haired skinny germ to shadow your door. :D

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're always welcome!

porknbeaner likes this.
  7. That is a good looking Ford my friend. That is also very hard for me to say if you catch my drift.
    Anyway like I said that is a good looking Ford my friend!!!!!!! :cool:

Now a little known secrete from The PK'n'Beaner's vault. Before assembly when I am building an engine, my hard parts go from the machine shop (even after hot tanking) to get a serious washing with Tide soap and water. Inside and out, the washing goes until the water runs clear. This happens inside and out, the oil gallies, water jacket, cylinders and etc. A clean engine lasts longer, well at least I think it does.

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had this D36IRS wet blasted before reconditioning. Like new again albeit slightly dull by comparison to soda blasting.
    upload_2021-12-6_9-22-12.png

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In my first machine shop job just out of trade school I learned that lesson, the hard way.
    From the boss!
    When you think it's really clean.........wash it again!

porknbeaner likes this.
  10. evintho

evintho

I totally agree! I'm a big fan of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Inside and out and especially oil gallies, water jackets, lifter bores, etc. Getting ready to slide it and the AOD into my '54! Gotta paint the firewall first, though.

11. Yup
    I washed lots of chit in the Ol' Man's shop when I was a little kid. I learned that the shop could look dark and dingy, no fancy paint or the like, bit it had to be clean.

My garage/shop to this day is messy and funky, totally unorganized, but when its assembly time its clean time.

12. atch

atch

I gave up on the idea of media blasting. So I bought several different kinds of wire wheels and cups and end brushes. Here is what it looks like right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to the next thread on painting.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, that looks great, make sure to use some kind of paint prep cleaner before painting.
    Also consider a bare metal "self etching" primer.

I've had excellent results with this.
    https://www.duplicolor.com/product/self-etching-primer/

14. atch

atch

I'm thinking wipe down with lacquer thinner; go over it with a tack cloth; prime; and paint black. At this point I'm going over to the next thread on transmission painting.