Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winter storage advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

So, it’s that time of year again:(. I have an AV8 31 coupe I need to store for winter.
    1. Should I drain fluids, which ones
    2. Should the car be off the ground, if yes, suggestions please
    3.Will having it off the ground damage the suspension in any way. Traditional front end, four bars and coil overs out back.
    Thanks ;) and Happy Holidays everyone :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. dartracer

dartracer

inside or out? Change the fluids, but don't drain them.

Dino 64 and mad mikey like this.
  3. Dino. I put the coupe up on stands every winter. Mostly because I tear things down and check- re work, or replace. Because, Race car. I would not drain fluids as long as they are in good condition and fresh. Stabile or additive for the gas in the tank, coolant tested and up to snuff. You should be just fine. You don't have to put it up on stands , however , make sure tire pressure is checked. There is many opinions on this, and several threads you can check out.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

It will be inside, mostly concerned about the tires going flat. They’re excelsior stahl radials
    Thanks ;)

5. Mine are parked inside my unheated building with a gravel floor…I think I unhooked the batteries. I think.

mad mikey, stillrunners and Dino 64 like this.
  6. In the spring I’ll check the oil and tire pressure and carry on where I left off.

seb fontana, mad mikey and Dino 64 like this.
  7. chop&drop

chop&drop

Make sure all fluids are good. Fuel stabilizer in the tank. Disconnect battery and/or put it on a battery tender. Putting it up on jacks stands can’t hurt anything and will avoid possibly flat spotting tires although the Stahl radials may not be prone to doing so.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    lothiandon1940, mad mikey and Dino 64 like this.
  8. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same tires on my A with a 348 Chevy. Put it on dollies to make it easier to tuck away in the shop, but no flat spots or air loss over 5 months. My tires have tubes.

John

Dino 64 and mad mikey like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Move to a warmer state and you won't have to worry about winter storage, we drive 'em year round! :D:D:D

Dino 64 likes this.
  10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Good to know, I have tubes as well, Thanks :)

11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

The wife and I were just talking about moving to Florida ;)

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I park it like I always do. Start it at least every month. Drive it around if you can. Maintain pressure in the tires. Leave it off stands in case you may need to move it in a hurry.

ClarkH and Dino 64 like this.
  13. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’ve never jacked any of my stuff up but I always thought it seemed like a good idea. I’m just lazy and I store mine in shipping containers so there’s not much room. Discount battery is a must and keep charger on it if it’s possible. I like to use a digital smart charger that will shut off and go into float mode instead of just cooking the battery. I feel it’s safer also. Some kind of stabilizer in fuel. I try to put them away without a lot of fuel and then drive it easy in the spring until,I can get a full tank of 93. I live in a damp environment so I try to get a good coat of wax on everything to get an extra layer of protection. And let’s not forget about mice. There’s all kinds of remedy’s but dryer sheets have been working ok for me.

Dino 64 likes this.
  14. It sounds like this will not be an issue for you, but if you are worried about mice and leave it on it’s wheels, I put granular ajax around each tire, as the mice don’t like to walk through it apparently, then bounce dryer sheets inside, bait blocks outside the car in homemade bait stations. I put a couple of baited snap traps on cardboard inside in case all the above don’t work.

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yeah mice are a problem. Thanks for the advice on that. Never thought about using dryer sheets. I have traps too. That Ajax around the tires is brilliant !!:)

16. Or you could get a cat.:D

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Ha ! My wife has one but it doesn’t go outside. :rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

There you go, that'll solve the problem!

I'm just poking at ya, but I don't see how folks in the colder climes exist. We have some cold weather, maybe a small snow or two a year, but nothing like the farther northern climes have thank goodness.

Dino 64 likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Says the guy who prepped his car for storage. And it`s been sitting since 2006.

Dino 64 likes this.
  20. If mice are a problem for you then this is the best mouse trap I have ever found by far!

mouse trap.gif

You can make it yourself, bait it with peanut butter, put a couple of inches of water in the bucket and it is deadly for rodents.

Dino 64 and 1935streetrod like this.
  21. I have a hard time believing that in Virginia you couldn't at least sneak out for a couple of quick drives over the winter. Your car will like you for it. Unless a guy lived in upstate New York, Vermont etc I would venture most of us can sneak out on a nice day. Granted, our area of South Dakota is called the Banana Belt but I have driven every old car I owned 12 months out of the year.

Dino 64 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  22. Tman, that's why I put a heater in mine. If the weather is half decent I like to take it out and stretch its legs a bit. Hey, life's too short to stay cooped up in the garage!

lothiandon1940, Dino 64 and Tman like this.
  23. Mine sit for five or six months without running.

Dino 64 likes this.
  24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I change the oil, because it’s the end of the season. Full tank of gas, to minimize vapor in the tank and the potential for rust. Stabil in the tank at the last fill up so it gets in to the carb. Battery goes in the basement so it doesn’t freeze (unheated garage). Plug the exhaust pipes with stainless scrubbie pads. Never had rodents in the garage, but don’t want anything nesting in the exhaust. Then shove it off to the side out of the way and wait for spring. They drop way too much salt around here for any mid winter driving. I don’t worry about the tyres, they’re standard radials and should be fine sitting for a few months.

hotrodjack33, Dino 64 and Truck64 like this.
  25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Do you ever forget about the scrubbies David? I put a couple empty soup cans over the exhaust for the same reason, to keep critters out. Come springtime though, at startup they got launched hard, right smack into the garage door. LOL. Startled me pretty good. Guess I need a pre-start checklist.

26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Lots of salt here too. If someone says snow, they start treating the roads. :rolleyes: I might have a few days left to drive, not afraid of the cold, from Connecticut originally.
    That mouse trap is absolutely brilliant :):)

lothiandon1940 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Put the wife outside.:rolleyes:

28. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

That’s the best idea so far !!:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

29. Dino 64, what part of the state are you located?

30. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Northern Virginia, Sterling to be exact. Congested over populated, hyperactive mess.
    Yes, I’m ready for Florida :)