Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dropped Tie Rod Ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Dec 4, 2021.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

I wanted to do a quick check with those of you running dropped tie rod ends to see if you've noticed any side to side "slop" in the passenger side wheel and tire if you place your hands on the tire at 3 & 9 o'clock and push - pull each side when the front end is jacked up (yes, the typical check for tie rod ends). I have those tie rods on my truck and have the slop I described. This is a dropped axle set up with parallel leaf springs and a conventional, non-cross steer set up. There is no slop on the driver's side probably due to in big part to the pitman arm and drag link making that wheel alot more stable. Everything is new on my front suspension from the steering wheel to the tires (including a 2nd set of dropped tie rod ends).

When I move the passenger side tire and wheel as described, the ONLY thing I can see moving is the tie rod deflecting downward slightly (due to the force on the rod end being offset from the tie rod). The tie rod is 1-1/4" DOM tubing, 1/4" wall). There is no top to bottom slop indicative of king pins and wheel bearings (which are all new). There is enough side to side tire movement on the passenger side that my truck tends to wander.

I know there are a bunch of these being used so I wanted to see what others may have experienced with their set up.

2. earlymopar

earlymopar

I talked to another car owner using dropped tie rod ends who has the same symptoms. I'm going to go back to straight rod ends but with an offset on the spindle arm to get the clearance I need.