Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Chevy 1/4 car.... straight axle or stock style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Machwon169, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Machwon169

Machwon169

Hey guys I'm building a 1/4 mile car....that will see some street driving....

basically what I'm getting at is cost vs performance which is the best route..

. I like straight axles when they are not obnoxiously high... just alittle over stock height... I was thinking the chromoly kit I read about on here....I'm assuming they probably drop
    Some weight. Not sure how they work on weight transfer like thought back in the day.

it's a big block car....

Stock style I'm seeing tubular A arms for $380... then a set of coil
    Over viking adjustable drag shocks for $600... and that's a wrap up front... but will it out perform the straight axle is the question? Will there be enough extension in them little coil overs....

also I'm
    Not made of money so all the high dollar stuff is out... for now....

Opinions?

loudbang likes this.
  2. Rebuild the stock a arm's with poly bushings. 90/10 shocks and hi lift springs is the cheapest way.

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

Be different than every gasser-wannabe and stick with the stock suspension but improved with new parts as suggested in post #2. Use the money saved for things that will really make a difference, or even for gas to get to the track and pit pit passes.

Granted, yeah, a straight axle is cool, but nothing wrong with using what will get the job done. You can develop the bite you want/need with what you do at the back of the car.

Lynn

4. Machwon169

Machwon169

not looking for the 100% cheapest way... just best bang for the money

loudbang likes this.

5. That's also what he gave you.

Now, be honest...are you really looking for someone to tell you to go straight axle... to give you a green light...because that's what you really want in the first place?

6. Machwon169

Machwon169

Ya I think I was gonna go with what worked on my mustang .... Calvert mono springs, cal trac bars and a set of viking shocks... simple and seem to work well...

loudbang likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Weight reduction makes you go fast....I dropped a thousand pounds and over a second off the ET of my 55 by building a Chevy II to go racing (and street driving)

:)

But you can do a lot with a 55 to get it light, too. A chrome moly axle and other stuff can take weight off the front, removing lots of inner bracing or using fiberglass body panels can take it off all over, etc.

You're new here, keep in mind that stuff like tubular control arms, coil over shocks, etc are off topic for this place. But ball joint spacers are cool here...

8. Machwon169

Machwon169

8.80/9.20s are the goal... in the 1/4... this isn't my first car to build... I currently have 3... just trying to understand if any ole timers had insight is a straight axle is worth the effort

loudbang likes this.
  9. Machwon169

Machwon169

gotcha... ya I know I could build another chevelle to match my current one and my mustang is stupid light but for some reason I feel like this would be neat as well.... BBC... fender wells... etc...

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You could buck the trend and use a dropped tube axle and coilovers and set a "reasonable" ride height. I've seen a few pretty cool builds done like this over the years.
    Many people use beam axles out of trucks due to low cost and get springs from a trailer shop and this is usually what sets the high ride height which seems to be the norm.
    Beam axles have been misnamed as straight axles for years, they are not.

11. Fogger

Fogger

I built a '55 Gasser back in the early '60s. Straight tube axle with 12 degrees of caster. Car weighed 2860 because of the axle, gutted interior, fiberglass body components, etc. If you expect to run in the 9s or quicker consider a lower stance with tubular arms and coil overs. You'll get more information from the drag racing sites than the H.A.M.B. 1955chevygasser005.jpg

12. squirrel

squirrel

A little past the time this forum is about, but the image has stuck with me for the past 45 years....

GaryKollofskis55_-th.jpg

13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Gary's car is burned into my memory banks.

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The gold standard of its genre, the 55 210 of Gary Kollofski.

16. The thing I'm waiting for is pics! Now, there's a WIDE gap between ''not made of money'' in post #1 and sub nine second 1/4 mile times. Now, cut the frame off forward of the firewall. 2x4 box and an 'axle. Put the big girl on a diet. The whole bit if you wanna go that fast.

Torkwrench, Tickety Boo, X38 and 5 others like this.
  17. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Set up for a first year run, no frills and remember that no matter what you do, how much you spend, or how great of a mechanic you are, chances are that you will not have the fastest car on the track, the first year out. 2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, traction bars, station wagon springs up front along with 90/10 shocks. Strip out as much as the class you enter and give the old girl a good tune up. Get all of the common items in peak performance. I bet there are many possible 9 sec. cars, sitting in garages waiting for the owners funding issues to be resolved while those with 13 to 15 sec cars are out on the track every weekend. Get your first year down and build upon it for the next.

18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depending on what kind of axle you decide to go with, there's not really that much of a weight savings with a straight axle. You can get a pretty decent stance with a pair of 65 Impala big block station wagon w/AC front spring's, Billet balljoint spacer's, and shock extension's. It's alot cheaper and easier to do than an axle install, too. ;) Just for reference, here's a few pic's of how mine sits with the part's mentioned above. It might be worth a try just to get it up and running. Resized_20211107_152434.jpeg Resized_20211107_153217.jpeg Resized_20211107_154326.jpeg Resized_20211107_152434.jpeg Resized_20211107_153217.jpeg Resized_20211107_154326.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    270283, Motorwrxs, thehazguy and 9 others like this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speed costs money.

Get rid of everything steel than can be replaced with fiberglass. Replace everything but the windshield with Lexan.

loudbang, 427 sleeper and chevy57dude like this.
  20. Yes^. Jim had the right idea when he installed a smaller car.

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Some vintage drag series require a straight axle. What are you planning to run?

427 sleeper and loudbang like this.