Register now to get rid of these ads!

History It's official. First day of retirement!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WB69, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Did it 25 years ago; best decision ever. Not much pay, but the lack of stress more than made up for it. Still plenty of things to do, but most of them can wait; but I am still busy enough.

2. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm looking at a few more years, but a shoulder and hip might cut that a little short. 40 years of wrenching on trucks has taken its toll...

Congrats WB69

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a boss once that always said "better to be half retired on full pay than full retired on half pay"

connielu likes this.
  4. At 58, the offer wasn't THAT good. I'd have to find another crappy job, why do that when I had one already? The overall plan was to retire at 62, take the reduced SS, switch the medical to my wife's plan and do a machine shop gig a few days a week.

By late in 2013, my wife had a serious cancer going on and was gone in 2014. So there went that plan.

Medical is the killer and our check-engine lights come on more often as we age. Like an idiot, I kept my company plan under COBRA due to the virus, just in case. I had it for 5 months and it caused lots of issues with who paid what for doctor visits. Them or Medicare. I got a type N supplement plan that has been great, which was $190 a month, going up to $205 in 2022. I had to get a new rx plan for 2022 through Cigna, not bad at $69 a month and better coverage. My Emblem plan was discontinued for 2022.

Blues4U likes this.
  5. pnevells

pnevells

Congrats, Retirement is everything it is cracked up to be ......

6. 1ton

1ton

You're never really retired until you don't know what day it is on a daily basis.

Roothawg and catdad49 like this.
  7. spanners

spanners

I'm definitely retired then.

catdad49 likes this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When you go to the doctor and they ask that series of simple questions to determine if you still have your cognitive ability.............When they ask you what day of the week it is, just say "It's Saturday"..........."I'm retired now and everyday is Saturday". :p They figure if you can be a smartass you must still be cognitive............

catdad49 likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

4 years, 11 months and 10 days........but whose counting?

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow, 40 years is a long time. Good for you.

11. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I have been retired 12 years and enjoy it!!!!! My health is good and thank the good Lord I have enough money to let someone else mow our yard and take the daily driver to the full service car wash. I drove my hotrod more when I was working than I do now. I don't understand it................

Lil32 likes this.