Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cutting up to "Save"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greener200, Dec 4, 2021.

1. greener200

greener200

I have the rear portion of a 35 4 door Humpback Sedan. This can't stay out another winter so I want to take the whiz-wheel to it so I can store it inside. Where would you cut ?
    1. Save the sides
    2 Save the roof
    3 save the tailpan
    35 is a one year only ,roll up rear windows. I KNOW it's not a super desirable model . Somebody will need it SOMEDAY. I just want to make it more manageable to get it inside THANKS Mike 20211204_071050.jpg 20211204_071142.jpg

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

I'd coat it in the cheapest oil based paint and get it off the ground with a few pallets. No prep, spray it right on heavy.

Packrat, rockable, harpo1313 and 6 others like this.
  3. "Somebody will need it SOMEDAY".

"Someday" is RIGHT NOW. Don't cut it, sell it. Today IS someday, you just need to find that special person.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you must cut it for storage, I’d cut it at the reveal below the windows and leave it at that. That’s a good keeper.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Wherever you cut it, it will be wrong for the next guy. I would cut it thru the windows, like for a chop. Then cut it so the wheelwells were in one piece. Then the catwalk like you pictured.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. greener200

greener200

..I m a mile from the ocean. Things rot quick around here. Gotta get it inside before it really turns to Junk . I didn't think of
    " through the windows " like, for a "chop".That might be the way to go. There got to be more people Chopping ,then fixing where a tree fell on it !.I know it's ,,six of one -half dozen of another. Time for more coffee / motivation. Mike

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  7. ems customer service

ems customer service

IT HAS VALUE AS A WHOLE REAR SECTION,

kidcampbell71, Tman and millersgarage like this.
  8. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

im voting for heavy oil base paint , then get off ground and sell it not necessarily in that order
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's not too big and heavy to hang from the shop ceiling without cutting?
    But I like the idea of listing it for sale now.

kidcampbell71 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

I vote for the painting it and getting it off of the ground. Then sell it. It's worth way more in one piece than cut apart.

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If you don't want it sell it now, all your cutting will fk it up for the next guy! Sell it now...

12. exactly. Go to a fafrm and home sort of s store and get some tractor paint, brush it if you got no way to shot it.

GordonC, alanp561, F-ONE and 4 others like this.
  13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell it as a starter kit for an altered drag car. :)

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try advertising on some social media sites, you might just get lucky (as well as making the buyer feel great).
    To build the Stude I bought three Hawks, one of the Hawks had no title. I figured the frame would sell but the remnants of the main body seemed to not have much value. I'd talked to a guy at the Fremont NE swap meet and he'd sold a roof on ebay so....I cut the roof off and stored it in the shop. I'd sold the frame on FB when a guy from Ohio was looking for a frame. This fall I advertised another Hawk body on FB and a guy that lived near by came to buy it...all he needed was a roof (for a chop job he was going to have done) and a windshield (which I had stored up stairs in the shop). I still have the body that I originally advertised:( but still made a sale.
    I've advertised here on the HAMB and had no success at all but the FB/Social Media seems to be working, good luck on what ever you do.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    alanp561 likes this.
  15. LOL actually for a hot rodder it would not be a bad back half for a roadster if you cut the roof off. Granted that would be considered to be a sacrilage by most these days but what the hell right:eek:o_O:oops::rolleyes:?

alanp561 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I personally would NOT cut through any of the window openings. The body line that goes under the back and side windows can be modified for 33/34 Ford coupe usage (I have a chunk of one of these cars just for that) and also the rear window opening would likely be useful for a 35/36 coupe. cutting it like a 'top chop' would destroy the value of the window openings for those purposes.

If it absolutely has to be cut, I would cut the top off below that beltline to make it into 2 halves. Someone who is fixing a sedan either from rust or crash damage is only going to need the lower stuff, someone looking for sheetmetal to fix a coupe will likely only be able to use the roof pieces since the tail is so different on a coupe. That's the only logical way to cut it in my opinion. Then you have 2 large pieces instead of one, might make storage a bit easier.

But I do agree that if you don't need it, now is a better time to advertise it to see if anyone will buy it whole. That'd be the best use for it.

17. evintho

evintho

Can't you just build a small dolly out of wood, attach some cheap casters and roll it into your shop......or are you trying to stuff it into a closet?

18. greener200

greener200

Thanks guys . I should have gave a little more back story . I have tried to pass this chunk along on CL a while back . I will list it again. It's been up on an old porch for a while and I'm kinda just getting sick of looking at it. I'll list it again . No real storage for it . I will paint it with the oil base paint as suggested if an when I dice it . I knew you guys would come through . Thanks Mike

19. I’m wondering how long it’s been outside now? Is another year or two going to matter?

clem and Tman like this.
  20. You'd be better off having someone list it on facebook marketplace if you don't have a profile on there, I've sold way more odds and ends on there than Craigslist, seems like there is more eyes on the big FB since its literally an advertising juggernaut. I wouldn't cut it up just to store it, it won't go back together as easily as it came apart.

Squablow and alanp561 like this.
  21. Give it away to someone as a gift. Please do not cut it up!.

Petejoe likes this.
  22. kb cookout

kb cookout

I cut them up all the time and sell quick

cut out the whole back window down the bead line
    rear trunk area
    wheel wells about 2" above the bead line
    1/4 window area, rear bead lines can be used on 3 and 5 window coupes
    rear 1/4 window molding and window reg are asked for all the time

later kb

Attached Files:

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time for a beer/inspiration;)

24. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Advertise it as a body for a custom chopper trike.

25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The way to do it is create a post asking for opinions about cutting it up and wait for the conversations started requests to roll in by people who want to save it.
    Oh wait...you just did that.:);):D

clem and arkiehotrods like this.
  26. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Or, list it for sale as whole or cut pieces.

27. scotts52

scotts52

You should add how much you were hoping to get for it. If something like that were close to me, I might buy it for an interesting project I have in mind.

28. Better yet a sip of shine. It has been a long day and I'm tired.

BJR likes this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If you or maybe it’s me :oops: being on the wrong coast , I would grab it just because .

30. jnaki

jnaki

"I have the rear portion of a 35 4 door Humpback Sedan."
    upload_2021-12-5_4-46-31.png

Hello,

Wow, that is the epitome of “save for another day…” If you are never going to use it for a project, then get rid of it at a low enough cost to have it taken away before the winter is over. Whoever buys it will have to have a need to attach it to their own rear ender. A one in a thousand chance that someone will want it now.
    But, to store it for the winter, with hopes that you can sell it later is a dream. Your wife must be ok with it being littering your backyard. The cold, snowy weather can’t do much more than the condition it is in currently. So, as others have said, sell it now and get rid of it.

As far as being a mile from the ocean. It isn’t just the salt air moisture that starts the deterioration. It is the constant contact moisture plain and simple. Get it off of the ground and cover it as best that you can. Salt air + snow speed things up, but, the bigger question is why did you buy it in the first place? It will be less work for you and if it already has not started the annual snowfall, then just sell it whole.

Jnaki

If you had the complete rest of the car in a garage, would you want to find a cut up rusty section that would cause more problems and work than is necessary? Think of the purpose from your own perspective? Why have to do more work when most of the rear end is together? Sell it to someone that wants it now, in its whole stage. It might not be worth as much apart as it would together. YRMV

If it was a 1940 Ford Sedan rear section complete as is and the sedan was in need of a rear section due to a rear end collision… then it might be worth it to get that whole section for the heavy duty repair.

It is not worth saving, unless you plan on using it yourself. But, would you buy it cut up when you first saw the whole rusty section?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.