Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 SBC from under the bench to a early ford 3 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbooth, Dec 3, 2021.

1. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Afternoon folks ,toying with the idea of sticking this into one of my projects. From what i can find it's a SBC 283 has no side mounts 1957 ?? would like to know what it's from.
    Block casting is GM 3731548
    c/heads 3748772
    engine number F4 IIL

Would like to put it on to a early ford 3 speed so would need an adapter but that raises the questions what flywheel would I need a 168 or 153 ? ,pressure plate Chevy or Ford? and ford disc and TO bearing?. The block appears to be drilled for the starter but I was led to believe that the early blocks had a 3 bolt starter that bolted to the bell housing/adapter plate ?. I am also reading that I would possibly need some kind of bellhousing support mounts?. I know there appears to be a few questions but would appreciate some answers from those who know and being over this side of the pond stuff to do the swap is limited and takes a while to get here as well as expensive and the last thing I want is to buy the wrong stuff:rolleyes:. Thanks in advance guys

Boneyard51 and bchctybob like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been covered a trillion times but from memory a 50 merc pressure plate has the correct patterns to bolt to your chevy and fit the ford trans

And yeah generally when I see front mount engines discussed, hurst mount or factory, they generally advocate for a mid mount if feasible. With the tiny ford three speed I wouldn’t be super concerned if you couldn’t fit a mid/ bell housing mount

3. 50 Merc Pressure Plate ?

Tommy

bobbooth likes this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The info. here may help answer your questions. If you contact some of the folks who posted, I bet they can help you. In the 1960's i had a 40 Ford with a 265 Chevy in it and I used a HURST mount. I don't recall what flywheel, pressure plate and clutch were used. i know OFFENHAUSER made the transmission adapter for the Ford 3 speed.
    I bet this swap was written up in the 1960's hot rod magazine back in the day.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ins...0l4j33i299.10296j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    and
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ins...57j33i299l2.9896j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    bobbooth likes this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Ordinarily they used the flywheel and pressure plate that came from the factory for the year of the engine, the clutch disc is swapped for one that corresponds to the trans, the pilot bearing will need to be changed to support the input shaft. On early Chevys with bellhousing mounted starters they sometimes used the bellhousing ring from the cast iron Powerglide to provide the starter mount.
    As long as there is sufficient material you could always make a template and drill the block for the later starter. Mostly, it all depends on what adapter you buy.

bobbooth likes this.
  6. Those adapters arent cheap new. see if you can find one used off the internet,ebay etc.

bobbooth likes this.
  7. 50 Merc pressure plate to a 168 tooth flywheel, corresponding clutch disc for the pressure plate. The reason for the merc pressure plate is that it will bolt up to most old Chevy flywheels. TO bearing is Ford, Wilcap, offenhauser bellhousing and bob's your uncle. One of the easiest and most traditional swaps there is. I bought a Merc pressure plate brand new from Wilcap back in 2015, I would imagine they still have them.

Tim and bobbooth like this.
  8. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Great info guys, I take it that I can use any starter if my block is already drilled ,adaptor (3bolt) or 2bolt (block) ? maybe it had a power glide originally ? From what I can find the heads are from a Vette with 1:72 and 1:50 valves unless anyone can decode differently.
    Prices seem to vary quite dramatically for those adaptors is anyone preferable or are they all the same ? 96D7AF12-814E-4B72-9D94-1E21DD684ABF.jpeg B5AE1F6A-AD6D-4EFC-92A4-7A93E544D05C.jpeg 20774D6F-A466-4B8E-B448-C41446F96BE0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2021
  9. Yes, I believe you can use any starter that fits the block. Last time I checked used bell housings were 100-200 bucks.

bobbooth likes this.
  10. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

alanp561, bobbooth and Dan Hay like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not sure what the best/preferable adapter is, but I had an F1 with a 283 and WilCap 307C adapter. It worked fine. I didnt put it together, but came that way when I bought the truck.
    Sold it all off years ago when I went 350/350 and don’t recall details other that the adapter part number.

bobbooth likes this.
  12. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

What it looks like together. 168 tooth aluminum flywheel, 50 merc clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Starter bolts to bell housing, Hurst front mount. Transmission is also rev limiter :)
    20190811_100013 (1).jpg

13. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I believe I purchased the pilot bushing from Speedway
    20190721_092649.jpg 20190721_091923.jpg

kadillackid and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Does anyone know if you can still get 49-50 Merc PP's ?? ha d alook round the net and not come up with anything, or can i have the Chev flywheel redilled to something more readily available?

Some great info coming forward...:)

Attached Files:

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I ordered my pressure plate rebuilt from these guys when I hooked the Chevy to an early 3 speed. It was the most expensive part of the combo.

Those aluminum adapters shouldn't be more than $100 used. They are everywhere. I have two now, one fully polished and one that's as cast that's currently screwed to my fence.

IMG_8336.JPG

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Before running off to your parts store for a 168 tooth chev flywheel, GOOD LUCK ON THAT..

It has to have the 10,5 inch pressure plate bolt pattern.. The aftermarkets do not drill them for both patterns any more...

Flywheel should look like this one..

20190721_091923.jpg

Dual bolt patterns

Only one I could find at the time was a used SFI flywheel.. Speedway/summit and such do have NEW ones but hang on to your ankles..

alanp561 likes this.
  18. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Yikes , no "parts stores" on my side of the pond I can run off to, just had a look on Wilcaps site and they seem to do a B&B PP @$170

19. Is the Mercury PP a special height,,,,it looks like a regular Borg and Beck ?

Tommy

20. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

This is for sale locally 153 teeth ??[​IMG]

21. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

22. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I just use early ford 9in pressure plate and re drill and tap the flywheel nice light clutch

alanp561 and bobbooth like this.
  23. If it is 168 tooth.. Looks dual pattern. What does the face look like?

24. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

[​IMG]

it looks like this , it's Aluminum

And another one which is steel 168T
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Just curious as to why yr going to so much bother to hook up a weak ,non syncro box that will most likely shit itself the first or second time you feed it hard with that set up . seen em behind early hemis in the fifties ,but they didnt have so much to pick from . cosmetic ?

26. I would pass on the aluminum one myself.. Light weight would be nice but looks rough as a cob...

One thing also to make sure of that the flywheel you get is for a early block and not a one piece rear main IE; 1986 up

27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Starting in 1957, most, (if not all), 283's were drilled for block mounted starters. The bolt holes were not always tapped, though. The 1957 - 1961 TurboGlide transmission cars used block mounted starters. All others, (through 1962), used the bellhousing mount starters.

By the way, the different flywheels, (168 tooth vs. 153 tooth), use different starters. The difference is in the starter snouts. The basic starter is the same. Also, a bellhousing mount starter can be changed to a block mount, (and vice versa), by changing the starter snout. I'll be doing this today. I have a new reman. block mount starter but need a bellhousing mount starter. Just swap snouts and it'll be ready to go in.

Also, all 1955, 1956 Chevy V8 starters were bellhousing mounts and were slightly different from the 1957 and newer starters.

28. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Just because I have it under the bench , it's going in a 36 and if i'm honest with the little 21 stud pump in head i'm just not feeling the love for it to go on long distance jaunts across the UK

alanp561 likes this.
  29. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

if you drive it the same as it has a flathead going up through the gears just use the extra power in top gear it will be fine the 35 in my avatar pic is 283 to 35 trans and yes the trailer is coupled to the car , start doing weelies or burnouts and trans will fail imediantlly

30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

There’s an adaptor that you need for this on Antique car parts on Facebook for $150! Can’t beat that!

Bones

bobbooth likes this.