Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Summitt extra ordering fees

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt car, Dec 1, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Capitalism 101: buying things costs money.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Re: Spring eye reversing
    I'm just spitballing here. Has anybody ever cut the eyes off the ends of the leaf, turned them upside down, and welded them back on? I get it about the heat treat, yada,yada, but the maximum bending moment on the leaf is in its center (where they usually break) so a good TIG weld (even a double lap weld???) out at the ends might be a cheap solution.

3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Wow ! What did I start ? lots of positive, negative, middle of the road comments & the most cherished... "How to do-it yer-self" .. with photo's no less. Thanks

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

All that work to avoid $36 + shipping and handling?

210superair and CNC-Dude like this.
  5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thats nothing, Many years ago ordered a few parts from a place in Tx because their prices were pretty good, all the parts came in separate boxes, each with their own S&H fees attached. Called up to complain, and was told they didnt have any of the larger boxes, and wanted to get the parts out quickly, instead of waiting for the larger boxes to arrive

Beanscoot likes this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have been dealing with most of the big venders / speed shops from east to west coast since early 80s, PAW, Doug & Chad Herbert, Supershop Speedway Summit, Jegs, Competition parts, Pegasus, Hillborn , Kinsler,BDS , Enderle, Mike Kurl, Even parts From Down under , list is long, Had a issue with Speedway last year ,they will now be my last resort , over the years I have purchased from Speedway what a Sonny's 700 cid cost. Summit $99'free ship, usually cheaper then Jegs $150 free ship , Competition parts $99
    The only problem I have when it comes to a last mint $20 part , not to many Speed shops around here any more,& they are getting hit hard on shipping also & will not order From Keystone warehouse unless their total order is over $1,000 . Summit use to be when shipped from Ohio to Va next day in stock be for Last year , Now 3-5 days.

mad mikey likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes this isn’t like Forest Gumps “ box of chocolates “ Here you know what your going to get . Beaten down , raised back up , a good slap up side the head , repeat then a helping hand with some old fashioned info to set you you on the right path. :D

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have a supply house 2 and a half hours away. I have to order things to get the job done. $55 dollar fee for a 5 gallon of glue that costs $125. Heavy and hazardous. Oversized rolls of foam. Heavy rolls of material. Just order it and get the job done at hand. Don`t look at the cost. Think of the time saved by not having to drive 5 hours. When I do go down. It`s about a $1000 spent. They used to have a delivery guy, but he retired.

9. I’ve never paid much attention to “handling fees”. I guess from now on, I’ll pay more attention. I am careful when buying stuff to look for the free shipping. One thing to consider, that when the price of diesel fuel goes up, the price of everything goes up. Stop and think about it, everything you buy, get or have is delivered to you with diesel fuel.

mad mikey and Truck64 like this.
  10. What I am thinking sounds pretty offensive in my head (which is a pretty rare thing things usually don't sound bad until I say them LOL).

anyway let me say it this way, there is a lot to be said for doing it yourself. ;)

11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I agree with the OP but not handling fee, the Oversize shipping!!
    , $10 is $10,
    I Looked up the OP part # , for some reason there is a "Over size shipping fee"
    I do not under stand that!! , ""that is Not Over Size Box "" One of my trades was owner operator over the road , I would question charge .I think the xtra charge is added by ""Helix ""

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't remember the last time I pumped anything as long as your way would take.;)

13. Helix? :eek:

No one should be buying that in the first place, whatever the shipping!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Tman, gimpyshotrods and XXL__ like this.
  14. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

If the part was now $48, with $10 shipping and no handling fee, I bet youd STILL bitch about it.

rockable likes this.
  15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just shipped a heater , 10 lbs to texas..jeez ..42 bucks..shipping prices have doubled ..im glad a hamber could use it though.......

16. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I hear a bell, Pavlov’s dog ring any bells for you all, big business is simply training you to accept paying more for any and all in the future, “ if it’s available”. The specter of limited availability I’m sure has them simply salivating. The reasons for this are too many to enumerate, but mostly we’re to blame and this little “ pandemic “ really brings it home to roost,

chopped likes this.
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

One would think that the handling charges would be included in the purchase price.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. People like to pretend that the price of something isn't 'their fault.' It's all external, beyond their control. That and trying to suck buyers in with a cheap base price.

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys should see what priority air freight from Taiwan costs.

ottoman, X38 and Nitroholic like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

With today`s economy and rising costs. It is easier to add handling fees than to change the price of every item they carry. In the catalog and on-line.

21. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

One of my personal beliefs, is that WE, the private citizens, subsidize the "Free Shipping" we get from places such as Amazon, Summit.....others. We pay more so that big business can ship for free. Or at least free, as far as we know

williebill likes this.
  22. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I'm set up as an Illinois reseller with Summit as well as with other suppliers, so I don't pay sales tax to them, but have to charge it to the customer on the final sale price of the goods. I do not charge sales tax on the shipping and handling portion, just bill them for actual cost.

Question to you guys. Are you pay sales tax to Summit on the goods only or is tax charged for goods, handling and shipping combined?

Bill

23. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

From what I remember having my main leaf reversed by a spring shop a looong time ago that when you re-arch the main leave of a stock spring the length will be longer center to center than a replacement main leaf from Posies or others whom shorten the main leaf the to compensate You may wind up with the spring shackles not at the recommended 45 degree angle. Just my 2 cents

24. Budget36

Budget36

I couldn’t say. If I need something soon I still fill the order for over a 100$.
    Easy enough to find out though, just put something in your cart and complete the order before payment.

25. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

My cart doesn't show sales tax as I am a registered reseller with Summit.
    Just wondering how other folks are billed.

Bill

26. Budget36

Budget36

I see. If no other replies to your question, I’ll take a shot at it when I get to work this afternoon.

27. Yeah, Helix AKA Hoffman group is a big no no

lothiandon1940 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. Shipping costs have been going up for 10 to 15 years. It is nothing new. At the beginning of the aughts I could ship a bike box for $25, now 60+.

29. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

It seems the sales tax issue with shipping and handling is somewhat of a "gray area" as some states collect sales tax for services and goods, some only collect it on goods.

I have always charged the customer the actual shipping costs I paid, not taxed.

Bill

Budget36 likes this.
  30. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Not to further this thread but just wanted to make note that I ordered the same part from Carid & it arrived yesterday & without all the drop shipping malarky, I was shocked that it consisted of the main leaf & the second leaf as well & with fitted friction buttons much like the Posies complete spring assembly features. This was something that the web site did not show but I'll take it, Thanks Carid. Oh yeah, $ 51 tax included to my door

lothiandon1940 likes this.