Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for and axle straightening how to thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Dec 3, 2021.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

A few years back a read a good technique on here for straightening axle. It included pictures of the setup, and where to place the dials, etc.

Have any of you seen it, I can't locate it.

To clarify it is a rear axle housing....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

might try a shop that caters to semi-trucks?

Bob Lowry and dana barlow like this.
  3. Rear axle? Or? If it was rear, try search for narrowing rear axle, 9", and I believe straightening tips were included in it.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much in this one from 2007 but a little bit on pressing one in a big hydraulic press. Straightening an I-beam axle...need advice | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)
    Best case, but not inexpensive is ship it off to Sids and have them fix it. They not only drop axles but can straighten one and set it with the correct camber and king pin inclination.

Next best is find a shop as Dan C mentioned. Usually those shops have "Spring" in the name. The are often the place in the area that bigger trucks and motor homes go to for front end or chassis work.

I've got a rather crude dropped axle out here that I picked up years ago that somone did some artful bending in the middle to bring the spring mounts in to fit an older Chevy pickup. I think it started out as a 55/59 axle that got stuck under and earlier Chevy pickup back in the 70's. I think it is the handiwork of a friend of mine that a lot of PNW rodders know but I won't mention his name.

guthriesmith likes this.

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I wouldn't recommend bending an axle unless it is forged like the originals were....A lot of the aftermarket dropped axles are cast ductile iron....I wish I would have known that when I got mine....So far no problems but it could use a camber adjustment but can't bend it....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  6. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Maybe you mean camber? Caster is changed with the wishbone, split bones, hairpins or 4-bar.

Lynn

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  8. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Thanks for the input...I was referencing a rear axle housing.

He set the ends on stands, and rotated the pumpkin around. Check it with a dial and used a torch to heat spots on it to shrink it back...

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Yep my old fingers don't work as good as they use to...LOL....

lake_harley likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I straighten them, but I am not that sophisticated, a line up bar and mandrels, and a 12 ton jack and some chains. IMG_3247.JPG IMG_3249.JPG IMG_3250.JPG

Bob Lowry, 2Blue2 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Marty is showing is what one can manage without fancy equipment. Note that he has his rear axle alignment fixture in place that he is no doubt using as a measuring instrument to know when he does have it right. That might lead to hoping for a Marty Strode tutorial on doing it right.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. :rolleyes:

13. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

14. twenty8

twenty8

Torana68 likes this.
  15. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

That is a good write up, but it still isn't the one I am after....