Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who built this custom bomber style seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pre1898, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

Any Hambers out there that recognize the owner or the builder of this seat ? I sure would like to talk to the person if anyone can put me in touch.

Thanks kindly.

dusty IMG_7930.JPG

mad mikey and Motorwrxs like this.
  2. brady1929

brady1929

I don't know, but I like it.

mad mikey likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I addmit I'm not a fan of this trendy type over done seat game,they were use for race cars some,after WW2.Cheep leftover war stuff, lite an worked fairly well for short racing,as long as you didn't have to sit in it a long time,even with custom pads,mostly limited comfort. At some point,maybe in the 1970s or 80s,some old photos got missunderstude* by lookers on ,an started to be thought of as how hotrods were all built<even thought it is mostly BS,but some/not all race cars did use a few of these ugly an not comfort war surplus crap.{ read as"OMG these are so cool," Even thought I don't know about them,cuz I see them in a lot of rods"} . Yes,there is a lot of,things over done,that really was not done much/moon tank run on street when really only at the race, primer called new names but still just prep for shiny later ect.>; Fake new bomber seat isn't any thing to copy anyway,if your not building a racecar. Even then,if the car is going to be driven round on the street much,I'd be doing a banch seat.

If your hart is set on Bomber seats,make your own,there has got to be a few threads of "How Too" on faking it in more ways then one.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  4. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

Just got a PM reply that they might be Waldon's ? Nice looking in my eyes.

5. Anderson

Anderson

Yep, that looks like the Takehito Yamato coupe that Walden Speed Shop built.

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

If that is the Walden seat, Bobby copied an authentic warbird seat, didn't he? That whole coupe is incredible.

mad mikey and Joe Blow like this.
  7. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Yeah, exact duplicate of a Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero seat.

zero-figher-airplane-seat.jpg
    Pic credit to Just A Car Guy

8. Well, now if we know anything, we know it's NOT a bomber seat! Not even a copy of one!

But does fighter seat sound as cool? :rolleyes:

9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I'm not sure about the comfort of a seat designed for a one-way trip...

10. catdad49

catdad49

11. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Cool looking, but cannot be comfortable. I've never sat in one. Anyone can chime in on how bad it hurts to ride in one? I'm getting old with spine issues. I do not think I would like that.... Lol. Definitely look neat tho.

12. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yes, as with many of our builds (mine included), comfort is pretty much at the bottom of the list. Concerning the seats themselves, I'm struck by the level of structural detail & the fact that all of that is basically hidden when you view the seats in the car. It's a pretty amazing build, you gotta admit.

Just Gary, mad mikey and 210superair like this.
  13. They're designed by the lowest bidder to be just comfortable enough while wearing a parachute & harness & probably thick insulated winter clothes in a cold, unpressurized cockpit.:eek:

I have 2000 hours of crew time in a Navy P-3C Orion. It had BarcaLoungers by comparison. :)

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lmao. That definitely clears it up for me!

Joe Blow likes this.
  15. It sure is beautiful to look at and certainly appreciate the work involved making the seat…my back and bottom require just a little more padding

Just Gary likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well those first two in post one are cute and no doubt impress the mouth breathers to no end but Try to convince your lady to do a 2000 mile three day one way road trip in one. I'd say that the majority of the cars that they go in are more show car than driver and you can find their tow rig and trailer out back at the fair grounds the majority of the time.
    I'd say that the cars with them that do get driven have seat cushions made to fit in where the parachute would normally go and maybe a pad for the back. Still, I want a seat I can put in a five- or six-hundred-mile day in and still be able to walk when I get out of the car after the day of driving.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. I had bomber type seats in the coupe years ago. Way to uncomfortable for me. The Waldon seats are a work of art, and really cool but I don't think being in them for a whole afternoon would do my back any good.:rolleyes:

Just Gary likes this.
  18. papajohn

papajohn

I thought all the Japanese Zeros were Kamikazes. Kamikaze seat sounds cool, but maybe a bad omen, don't want to crash your hotrod.

rusty valley likes this.
  19. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

They look good, hope you find them.

20. No, they most definitely were not!
    ]

kidcampbell71 and Just Gary like this.
  21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The seats in question are definitely Walden seats. I've had a pair of Frank Wallic bomber buckets in a roadster and when padded correctly they were comfortable. I currently have a Wallic bomber bench seat in a 32 pickup and it to is properly padded and reasonably comfortable. I also have a pair of the buckets advertised here on the HAMB built by IrishPol for a future project and I included a pair of them in the 32 lakester project I sold Dale Grau which he has already tested out with a drive from Minn to Ohio for the Steadfast Fly In.

Brian Penrod likes this.
  22. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

So, Thanks everyone for the help but now I am even more confused. Maybe some of the older generation (excuse me) can add some advice. What was the primary choice for a seat in a 33/34 Coupe once Coupes' were allowed to run against the Roadsters at the dry lakes events. Some of those early Coupes were chopped severely which makes for a pretty tight space to ride in. I had always presumed it was a mixture of military surplus parts / aircraft surplus stuff due to weight and price ?

23. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Yeah, you could say Japanese Kamikaze seat, only used once! LOL

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You will notice in this interior shot of the So-Cal Coupe, Alex didn't sit on top of the frame. When making a street version of a 40's - 50's race car it can be difficult to pull off. 34-SoCal-Coupe-08.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  25. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

Marty that photo helps explain alot of detail Thanks Sir. Now to make my 34 adaptable with something thats period correct.

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Did you miss history class ? No , not all zeroes were kamikaze.
    Roughly 1/3 of zeroes were kamikazes

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    427 sleeper and Anderson like this.