Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Daily Driving hot rod / customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 08racer, Dec 2, 2021.

1. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Anybody here drive your stuff daily? I've been driving this daily for the past couple months. Its been interesting to say the least.
    291.jpg

WC145, Tman, 1-SHOT and 13 others like this.
  2. I drove all my cars daily when I was a bit younger, drove from Gresham to Swan Island when I worked at Freightliner test on proto type trucks, and Peterbilt as journeyman collision. I would get a good laugh from people on hot days drove the orange A coupe in my boxers, of course I was younger and not so fat. 3762866171_23a9d9370d_b.jpg HPIM3937.JPG HPIM3933.JPG 218054-d479b569c62fbbf8e8d7e4c2e2629d44.jpg old pictures 593.jpg

WC145, Tman, Jalopy Joker and 6 others like this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm retired, there may be a week between times I drive anything, and we often have 3 months of ice and snow and road salt on the roads.
    Please define "daily driver."
    I drive my coupe nearly every time I leave the house, March - the first snow fall in Nov or Dec. I now have a 49 Dodge pickup that will share summer driving and is my winter driver. The only other vehicle we have here is my wife's 04 SUV, I don't like driving it much. Gene

4. I can use my '59 Ford as a daily, it has great heat and wipers. I drive it all winter as long as the streets are clear and the salt is washed off.

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I have daily driven this truck on and off through the years... She is ready to go right back to daily driven in an instant... With the way everyone around here has their heads up their ass browsing bookface on their phones... You got to be even more careful.
    IMG_0564.JPG

WC145, Jalopy Joker and GordonC like this.
  6. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Drove my avatar 49 daily for a couple of years. Now that I work from home, I don't drive anything daily anymore. IMG_3148.JPG

WC145 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  7. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

Your roadster is perfect, nice job.

08racer likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

All 4 vehicles need to be driven at least once a week - Vehicles do not do well if left sitting...

1. The custom is my favorite, it puts a BIG smile on my face.

2. The diesel off-topic shop truck (1952 Ma Bell service bed) also puts a BIG smile on my face - I built it up from junk.

3. The 10 year old truck is not used much - Occasionally, we need a pickup truck or the shop truck is too light for a Uhaul trailer. I probably should sell it while prices are high - but I still (very) occasionally hayl stuff to the dump or pickup construction materials.

4. Unfortunately, I have to drive the Subaru a lot - I am the medical point-of-contact for 3 family members (sort of the last-man-standing) - I need to be able to answer calls and the Subaru is the only vehicle with Bluetooth. If you miss a call from VA, the phone-tree-hell is impossible to navigate...

Funny story: The Subaru is a silver SUV in a sea of SUVs - Last summer, I had to go to the pharmacy to pickup a prescription. A very hot afternoon and my senior citizen ass was dragging... Heads-down, I trudged back out to the parking lot. Pushed the button on my key fob and heard the "beep". Promptly sat down in a silver Honda SUV - OOPS.

Russ

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haven’t got much daily action out of my cars for a while sadly, but @Austin kays has been driving the wheels off this little grinch the last couple months. DF95EF6C-3C88-4B03-A27D-39105380B757.jpeg

Jalopy Joker and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I drive my avatar car regularly and my '42 tudor also. I don't drive them in the worst part of the winter, though. If you lived where I do you'd understand why.

11. Driving my beater today, it's 76° :) HRP

seadog likes this.
  12. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Daily as in its the only car I have to drive at the moment.

Tim likes this.
  13. Daily, no but often.

14. Squablow

Squablow

My '57 saw a lot of road time this summer but Wisconsin road salt is hell on old cars so a string of worthless beaters has been sacrificed to the salt each winter.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  15. Drove it today…74 Carolina Degrees. (Yes I know I need to rake the leaves)
    B000E1BE-DF6B-461F-95BD-A7CFBDD88E85.jpeg

16. Only for like the last 8 years or so

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

For high school 1960,every day,but my first hot rod being a 28A open roadster,I got wet in the rain.
    After a few months I picked up a cheep running beater Henry J @ $75> it had top and roll up windows,as getting wet was not as cool looking as I though at first.:D
    Did do a lot of custom work too that "J" also.
    So at one point for about 2 weeks,both my open hotrod ,and the "J had no top.
    When I put a rear window off a 53 Studebaker on the "J" as a front windshield an a 55 T-bird folding top fitted to that.
    My 28A,I had a snap-on Tonneau cover,that zipped 1/2 open,so at least some stuff could be dry,for years.
    OP has a open roadster ,an I'm old now vs when I was a teen,didn't super hate getting wet yet.
    Now I do have a folding top on my 28A roadster,how I did that could be of some help;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...top-a-how-too-do-it-tech.857951/#post-9479688

GordonC likes this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seadog nice ride! I had mine out today with the wife. Went for a burger and fries. Couldn't ignore the beautiful temps we are having here. I like the once a week philosophy, if not more. 20211026_175053.jpg

19. squirrel

squirrel

I think the last time I only had one car to drive, was in 1983.....

that's the thing about driving old cars, it's good to have several.

F-ONE, Rickybop, Wanderlust and 2 others like this.
  20. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I had not planned on that happening. But all my cars sold at the same time and I slept on a 33 coupe one day to long. So if anyone knows where a nice 33-34 coupe is with A/C I'm in the market!!

Tim likes this.
  21. wvenfield

wvenfield

If I'm don't get too carried away my car might get 8 mpg so right now, no. 8 mpg of the good stuff.

22. msgt tank

msgt tank

we just got the '53 6400 PXL_20211127_190853852.jpg on the road and will use it as a daily driver.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

The last time I only had 1 car to drive was 1976, after my wife and I got married (I was 19). It wasn't long after that we usually had 3 vehicles to drive. I discovered early that when you only have a hot rod to drive, and it gets broken, getting to work the next day really sucked. In the early years, a broken hot rod was a pretty normal situation (play hard, break stuff). I worked a full time job (55 hours a week) and ran a self owned business after the work hours, to fund the 3 vehicles and play time expenses. Gene

24. rtp

rtp

Drove the 48 (see avatar) to the grocery store , part of the honey do list ( grocery store not 48) . Didn't have to go to work so driving the car to do my list is my joy.

25. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Again ?

This is asked...what...every few months ? No one uses the search function ? This is one site that the "search" function...actually works.

Yes, I put just over 93,000 miles on my 1959 Studebaker, 2dr. wagon, as a...daily driver.

Mike

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Roadster, @08racer

True, we've seen lots of daily drivers posted in the past, and I always enjoy seeing them, but not so often, a roadster. So that's pretty special.
    Now tell us more about your experience driving it. You said it's been interesting to say the least. Your personal experience with the car? Other people's reactions? Is the experience everything that you imagined it would be?

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just KNEW there must be more reasons for having more than one old car.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- be sure to use a "California" rake

seadog likes this.
  29. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drive my heap daily. It’s more fun in the rain with bias plies!

Attached Files:

hfh likes this.