Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "NEW England Dragway Saved"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old.hot.rodder, Dec 3, 2021.

1. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Yippee! Track is good for a while at least. Voted yesterday to save the track. 428 Yes to save 78 sell 7 abstained. I am sure it is tough to turn down what must have been a huge offer for the 268 acres of prime land right off the highway. Thank you, owners who voted to save it! I will be there this summer!

2. catdad49

catdad49

Saw this earlier, hope the petition helped to save the track. Great News!

loudbang, 427 sleeper and Hamtown Al like this.
  3. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

We don't race there but nice to see another track saved

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Land values have gotten high enough to threaten all smaller tracks and the EPA is trying to eliminate the cars that race on them. It will be interesting to see how dragracing or any motor sports survive.

Tman, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

cows with fart bags are around the corner. They want to reduce methane and they show lawnmower engines. Back to the Sheep for lawn mowing!

Tman, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

A buddy of mine lives right down the road from the track and to the other side is Star Speedway (if it is still in operation). Funny you can call him up on a Wednesday night or Sunday afternoon, and hear the cars going down the track.

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. Church Key

Church Key

Been going to New England Dragway since 1969, looking forward to many more years there.

8. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I am only 20 miles away. Was there the year it opened in 1966

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice to hear . Do they still have the all Mopar weekend ? Is Star , Lee and Hudson speedways still going strong?

10. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Yes, All those tracks are still running strong. last year a small but very nice auto. museum was built on NHIS property. A new club has formed. N. H. muscle car club with 8K members. Things have been good to us in this area. lots to do in summer. Have 2 nice nostalgia races a summer at the Dragway now. Not sure about the Mopar weekend.

41rodderz and loudbang like this.
  11. I've been going there as a racer and spectator since 1974. Glad to hear it's going to remain a drag strip!

Snicklefritz65 and loudbang like this.
  12. brading

brading

That good news that another dragstrip has been saved.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah, and Fontana (SoCal) is closed. The only 1/4 mile track left in the area.
    Supposedly still a noise factor after they spent a LOT of money installing sound walls. Make me wonder if that was all it was. Trailers (lived in) are about a mile away.
    For those that don't know, it's located in the back parking lot of...the Auto Club International Raceway in Fontana. So I guess the open headered NASCAR guys are all right ! The last coupla years, only muffled cars could race at the drag strip.
    The trains stop and start right there in that location too. And they...aren't exactly quiet.

And they wonder why we have such a street racing problem in SoCal.

Mike

14. Great news! Thanks for the update.

loudbang likes this.
  15. tjm73

tjm73

Never been near the place. But glad to see it's been saved. Looked at it on Google Maps and it's a freaking big complex.

16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been there many times. Glad it was saved!

17. great news indeed. although petitions sometimes are little more than feel-good gestures it's encouraging that this one seemed to do something.

thanks for passing the word along!

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I raced at Hudson and part of crew at Star. A buddy had a 1971 Challenger R/T that we took to the Mopar show at the drag strip .