Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Mercury resurrection!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Dec 3, 2014.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

Really impressed with your work! I agree that a less obtrusive parking lense would look better...maybe something with a flat lense or mildly convexed to match the headlight profile?

2. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Hope you know I always appreciate your thoughts. Wish I felt as confident as you about being done by time Stray Kat rolls around:)! Wish you were coming down to Luckenrod, should be a good time.

loudbang and drdave like this.
  3. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks for taking the time to post, I agree about the flat lens, just need to find some!

loudbang likes this.
  4. My confidence in you is based on the fact that you are actually making progress....took me over a year to put the motor in the Chevy and I STILL haven't finished redoing the seats in the A that I started during lock down last year. LOL

Sancho, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  5. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

:) Don't Forget that I saw the chevy motor and that was a work of art- hope both of us find the time to get finished!

drdave and loudbang like this.
  6. LOL....now, finally, it's not only pretty, but functional. :)

Sancho, wide34 and loudbang like this.
  7. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

GREAT LOOKING HEAD LIGHTS WHEN THERE FRENCHED.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Hate you found more rust, but thank goodness you found it and can take care of it! Looking fantastic!!!

loudbang likes this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking too kool, Mustang seats look comfortable. I’ve been looking at replacing mine. My number one priority is comfort… It is a blessing that you found the rust now. Keep the faith your Merc is heading f I the right direction. Thanks for the update.

loudbang likes this.
  10. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Many thanks for the encouragement, I have to believe all of us go thru frustrating times when building theses cars but 24 hours later we kick ourselves in the butt and get back at it.
    Looking forward to catching Up with you soon!

drdave, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  11. The frame looks great! I dream of nice, clean painted frames, so I'm jealous! :) In short order this is going to look like a whole different car once you have the body blasted and in primer. Exciting times!

Sancho and loudbang like this.
  12. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, it does feel good to be getting a little closer but now for the BIG PROBLEM!
    If there's one thing I hate about building cars its picking a color. I once heard a really good painter comment he hated having old guys pick a color because its either white, black, or red- fits me to a tee!
    I've narrowed it down to the colors below, the far right is a black cherry in case it doesn't look like that. I'd appreciate comments as I'm the worlds worst when it comes to this job!
    IMG_2361.jpg

Again thanks for looking!

LAROKE, guthriesmith, drdave and 2 others like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

I vote for second from left :)

brady1929, LAROKE, Steve Ray and 2 others like this.
  14. You know what happens when you ask for opinions... :rolleyes:

I also say second from left.
    To me, the blue and green look like modern colors. The black Cherry looks VERY dark, it doesn't show highlights very well. But that maroon(?) color, that looks fantastic.

LAROKE, drdave and loudbang like this.
  15. I, too, vote second from left, for the very same reasons Sancho mentions. I think that maroon will be wonderful on your car.

LAROKE, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  16. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Many thanks for your thoughts and I understand what you mean about opinions Sancho but in this case I really appreciate them because I have a tough time picking out any color other than red and since my truck is red and not going anywhere I won't do another red:)!
    I posted these colors out of about 20 I've shot so far because I like all 4 but none of them jumps out as a favorite but I am growing more fond of the second from left. All 4 are metallic paints which is a little hard for me to get used to as I'm pretty old school when it comes to paint color but its time to "move on". The reason I'm trying to pick a color now is to help with the primer color, my choices are white grey, and black so if I don't select a color I like now I think I'll go with a grey primer and not worry about the final shade- hope that makes sense.
    On the "good news" front I did grab a set of 56 Cadillac wheel covers which I think will go well with any of these colors.
    Again thanks for your thoughts!

17. Dare to be different! I vote for green or blue, there's tons of maroon cars out there. Stand out from the crowd!

18. Glad you said green...that is what I was thinking. :cool:

19. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Now you see my dilemma- I like all of them and struggling to pick the perfect one! Just for grins I asked my family (21) and got a split between the green and the blue!
    I am going to try blending the two darker colors ( the left one is more purple in outdoor light) and see what I get, I think I’m really looking for a cherry brown color.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  20. There's tons of dark-colored Mercs, you'll get lost in the herd. Remember, one of the things that set the Hirohata Merc apart was the color choice... not dark!

21. brady1929

brady1929

Second from right please. Then black cherry.

22. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

Enjoyed the updates and looking forward to seeing the colour of choice .

23. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks, still haven't decided on a color but getting closer!

24. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Not sure what happened to the last pic's of the frame etc. so will repost with a brief descrip.
    Installed Mustang seats Repaired rusted frame
    and sandblasted. Installed 4 bar suspension
    IMG_1629.jpg IMG_1674.jpg IMG_1692.jpg
    Frame painted Floor welds finished Ready for media blasting
    IMG_1714.jpg IMG_1681.jpg IMG_1718.jpg

Thanks for looking, as I said above these are repeat pics, dont know if I somehow deleted earlier ones.

drdave, kidcampbell71, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  25. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I've appreciated the thoughts on the color for the Merc. and in the past have always been able to listen to others and then decide what I liked best. That's changed this time when my bride of 54 years (whose only car comment up to now has been "why do you always have to lower them?") started looking at my collection of paint samples and said "I really like this one, you should paint the car this color:
    IMG_2410.jpg
    I'm not the brightest light bulb in the room but this was a no brainer and while it wasn't my first pick I do like it and I might even gain a Happy Wife!
    The media blaster has been busy so I've changes directions and going to take care of some details before I send it off.
    Filled in inner panels
    IMG_2375.jpg

Mounted radiator, going to have to find a good slim line fan!
    IMG_2400.jpg IMG_2401.jpg

Found wheels with the right offset, not going to be able to use Cadillac covers so if anyone is interested in them PM me.
    IMG_2395.jpg IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2368.jpg

I'll be installing the electric windows, bear claw latches (will be manual as electronics are really hard to get right now and sure raises questions about what happens if one fails! Have worked fine in my PU for 10 years but availability concerns me) etc. which I doubt anyone has any interest in so will return when I'm ready to head to the blaster.
    Thanks for looking and I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and hopes for a great 2022!

drdave, loudbang, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  26. Sounds like you made the right decision on color. :D

loudbang and Sancho like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

28. That blue is going to look great on the car, good choice! I have in my mind to paint my f-100 baby blue and my wife keeps wrinkling her nose. We'll see....it's a lonnnnnng way off. LOL

29. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Thanks Jeff, I'd be willing to bet anyone from my generation totally understands this- besides I do like the color:)

loudbang, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  30. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

It really is amazing what we'll do to keep Momma happy isn't it.
    I haven't decided if I'm going to run fender skirts yet but I am going to make up a pair of flush fitting skirts and after its painted decide if I want them or not. Just seems to make sense to make them now.
    Hope you are doing well!