Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hurst Airheart Rebuild Parts???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe DeBattista, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Joe DeBattista

Joe DeBattista

What is everyone doing for their Hurst Airheart overhaul parts. Tolomatic discontinued a bunch of the calipers, and hence discontinued the rebuild parts as well. Had I known we would have stocked up, but curious if anyone else has found any solutions other than just tracking down old kits out there.

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Depends on what is needed , O-rings (3 sizes) are a pretty standard deal

Joe DeBattista likes this.
  3. deucemac

deucemac

You might try The BRAKE Man (TMB) in Simi Valley. It was started by Warren Gilliland, who was Bill Airheart's protégé. Warren retired but drops in ocean in a while nowadays. He was the only person to be able to help me with my lobsters when I needed parts. He really knows what to do and how to get parts for H/A brakes. It's worth a shot .

4. Joe DeBattista

Joe DeBattista

The O rings yes are pretty standard that little wave washer is proprietary and used to come with the kits. I just found some NOS kits, just was curious about what people are doing as I know a lot of guys run these.

5. Joe DeBattista

Joe DeBattista

Totally thanks for the tip I’ll look into it. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The Piston "drag" washer that came with the kit. I have found that they were a pain to deal with and wound up reusing the old ones that were sized to fit the original piston shaft anyway. The only parts to the kit that I have a hard time sourcing are the 4 little dust sleeves that go over the shafts

7. Fordors

Fordors

05F242E7-2587-403D-8CC9-B4D7A4D859B9.jpeg

By chance I had some silicone tubing laying around that was close on the inner diameter and the wall thickness is about .060. I slipped it on a wooden dowel rod and cut pieces to length with a razor knife. Silicone tube is used for aquariums, food service equipment, etc.
    If not silicone a thin wall rubber or vinyl tubing might work just as well.
    My calipers are 175-06 series, which ones use the wave (or drag) washers you guys are referring to?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    stillrunners likes this.
  8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Vinyl tubing is too stiff and will not collapse as the black rubber that comes with the kit, The proper material is out there, but my needs fall short over buying a 25ft roll of it when I only need 4 inches

9. JimSibley

JimSibley

Doesnt speedway carry parts for these?