Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Don "Dad" Davis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OG lil E, Nov 30, 2021.

1. I just got a message from my good buddy John @PasoJohn Tretten that Mr. Don "Dad" Davis has passed away due to Covid complications. Don was a great guy and was always friendly when I saw him at the Leadsled Spectacular over the years. He always called me "one of the crazy Colorado cats".
    He was a fixture at every Spectacular, and I seem to remember him being at every one I attended, and many I didn't. His awesome '53 Chevy made it's debut at the 1986 Leadsled Spectacular where it won "Koolest Mild Kemp". I remember in his interviews at the '86 show him mentioning that his Chevy would "probably be red like the rest of 'em when it gets ripe".
    Here's a few pictures of the car in it's early version:

kkoa256.jpg

kkoa255.jpg

ggkc256.jpg

I guess a number of years back the car was involved in an accident, but Don was able to save a good portion of the super kandy green paint. The top wasn't damaged, so it was left untouched. On the bottom Don worked around the green with primer, making the green paint into a flame job. Here's a picture of the latest version of the '53.

kkoa549.jpg

Here's one of my own pictures of Don at the 39th Spectacular (2019). I had just got done talking to him when he went back to work cleaning some dead bugs off of his grille.

IMG_7176.JPG

I'm going to miss seeing ol' "Dad" at the Spectacular. He was a great guy that will be missed. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Vaya con Dios Mr. Davis..........E

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fuck.

havnt even made it threw the first paragraph.

fuck.

Big loss the the Kansas City community he’s going to be very missed.

OG lil E, Sancho, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. 26Troadster

26Troadster

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Godspeed...R.I.P., Dad Don

OG lil E and loudbang like this.

5. Never knew the man, but knew the iconic car... prayers for the family.

OG lil E and loudbang like this.
  6. Yea, I just heard about Dad’s passing yesterday. He was one of the best for sure and will be missed more than any of us could likely put in words. I was going through a real tough time with some things a little over a year ago and had dinner with him, his wife and some other friends while we were at Lead Ain’t Dead in Dewey. He was one of the best listeners I have ever come across and ended up giving me one of the “Hope” keychains he made from spoon handles. As small of a token as that was, the conversation with him and that keychain meant more than I would have ever thought. That keychain is hanging from the ignition of my 56 and a good reminder to never loose hope, no matter what we are going through. My son just sent me this write up on Don a few minutes ago. He will be missed.

https://amp.providencejournal.com/a...mGZHP-Q61lHQBgj4UY_w71AlbxGp1hcKpsgu3fKjc_zMQ

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Don impacted thousands of lives with the Hope spoons. Man. :/

OG lil E, Sancho, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

9. Keychain from Don...

AC50C9CF-D311-45ED-B655-0A3AA5AB6514.jpeg
    Praying for his family.

10. williebill

williebill

That's a beautiful story about Don. Thank you for posting that link.
    He was a good man, a better man than me. May he rest in peace.

OG lil E, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

First saw Don`s car in the late 80`s. He received more than a couple of best paint awards. He was rear ended by an uninsured motorist. Not sure of the year. Last saw him at the Lead Ain`t Dead Show. Seems everybody knew him.

OG lil E, Tim, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P. Don....

14. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

We knew Don for about 40 years, he was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. RIP Don

15. loudbang

loudbang

Getting so I'm a bit leery to open the HAMB lately, way too many of our people leaving for a better place. :(

RIP Don

16. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

He was a fun guy to visit. He gave my wife a key fob for her 54 Chevy. I tried to always look for him at events and stop just to say hello.

17. Chris Davis

Chris Davis

This is Dad's son, Chris. Thank you all so much for all the kind words. I know he never met a stranger and had 'kids' everywhere. Thank you for listening to his stories and being there for him. I know he Loves you all!

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never met your Father but it looks as though a considerable number of folks were affected by him and consider your loss as though it were theirs, as well. I am sorry for your loss, all of you and most especially you, Chris. Thank you for your post and please don't be a stranger here.

Sancho, winduptoy and OG lil E like this.