Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Colorado Farm Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Nov 30, 2021.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We moved to a small farm in SW Colorado this past spring. Lots of projects and a few cool things came with the place. The coolest find of all was this morning as we were rebuilding an old storage shed. Up in the sub roof was a hole that was probably for a wood stove sometime in the past. The hole was covered up with a set of 1940 Colorado plates with very little damage. They were between the sub roof and the tin on top so they were a PITA to get out but I finally succeeded without doing any damage. Not only are they correct for my 40 Tudor, they have the correct county code. Makes me feel like buying this place was meant to be.

The place came with a 59 Chevrolet pickup bed that has been made into a junk trailer. Its definitely fixable and I would make a fellow HAMB'er a good deal if it was of use.

Another bonus was an old hay trailer that has been sitting for at l1 plus years without being moved. It is a flatbed built on an old Ford frame and has a set of 35 wheels and old tires that have for sure not seen any use since the PO bought the place 11 years ago. Still holding air and not as cracked as my 3 YO POS trailer tires, or the 4 YO Michelins on my OT truck.
    IMG_0019.HEIC.jpeg

alanp561, Bob Lowry, 2Blue2 and 38 others like this.
  2. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

purty damn cool!

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very neat .

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. You are a lucky man. With a little gentle hand polishing, they should clean up nicely.

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Dang, those are sweet. Nice find.

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

Nice find! lets see the rest of the new ranch

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

right place at the right time

8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Awesome.

9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Never have really seen how license plates were made... Being from Ohio they were made in the prisons when I was growing up...Would be nice to see how they numbered them...There were different letters for different counties I believe....

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those are really in darn nice shape too!

11. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

Here's how we do it in Michigan-
    License Plate Video - YouTube

alanp561 and hemihotrod66 like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Now if you only had a 32 Ford with a 289 Ford engine in it, those would be perfect plates for it.

13. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

play those numbers this weekend..ill take half the win

rusty valley likes this.
  14. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Colorado county 32 in 1940 was Montezuma county.
    Couldn't have been many of them made in 1940, and probably very few remaining.
    Nice find!!

Tman likes this.
  15. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and that is where the farm is located.
    It was originally a ranch but much of the original land has been sold and its now more accurately described as a farm. The farm would be HAMB friendly if it were a car, as it was originally settled in 1930 and the house was built in 48. I posted something about the new place on the Garage Journal https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/basement-garage-and-shop-in-colorado.490273/, as it has an unusual basement single car garage that was never used by the PO. He said the original owner kept a Model A in it and used it in the winter to deliver milk to the intersection a mile away as it was able to run through the snow with its narrow tires. The garage door is different than any I have ever seen as its a set of narrow panels and swings around the corner on a rail. My first project was to tear out all the junk in basement and convert it to a man cave/shop.

16. Thats a cool shop, I am following over there now.