Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1933 1934 Ford 3W please help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cubzy, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Cool Hotrod

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. alchemy

alchemy

That is a 35-ish Hupmobile. They used the Ford dies from 34 to make their bodies, with some mis-match thrown in. They used a 3-window outer shell, with a cabriolet door. Made for a kind of hardtop coupe. Very unusual and cool. Also very sought after. I suggest you go pick it up right away.

Pretty much everything but the body is weird Hup stuff. The few I've seen pics of turned into hot rods used all the Ford frame and fenders to "normalize" it a bit.

3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@alchemy nailed it:). 1935 Hupmobile 517 -W coupe
    [​IMG]

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

pretty darn cool !

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Learn something new every day!

Value I’d say cheaper than a ford if your buying and worth more in parts for ford guys if your selling.

I would think that door tops could be added if doors couldn’t be swapped. Can’t think it would be any more work than fixing the rest of the body will be. I’d build it with out a second thought

gary macdonald likes this.
  6. Don't add door tops. The cabriolet doors are worth more than coupe doors. Trade your doors for coupe doors if you can. It will save you time and effort / money.

kidcampbell71, Tim and The37Kid like this.
  7. adam401

adam401

Id love to have that body. Im building a 3 window from a lot less

kidcampbell71 and general gow like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Really hard to put a value on that since the bottom foot is buried in the snow and it's really hard to tell how rough it is down there. It's a shame for it to be sitting on the ground, or even outside at all. They are NOT cheap. In the states recently a Ford 3W body with a frame but not much else, body about like that one, sold for like $40K in an auction, which seemed exceptionally high but there just aren't cheap ones around. Even just a bare body like that with no frame or title and some rot along the bottom could easily be worth $15-$20K US.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it was mine I'd build it as is, why add "normal" doors and look like a 1,000+ others? SELL IT to someone that wants a hard top use the funds to buy a normal one.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think these Hupps could be easily converted to a Ford 3 window...the turret top is a whole different design.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...but it does appear the Hupp uses Ford Cabriolet doors
    [​IMG]

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

Yes, the cabrio doors are shorter, which throws off the top shape of the ford 3w

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the history lesson and photos!

Bob

kidcampbell71 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Wow, I learned something new today too. I always figured they were 3-window shells with cab doors. With those side by side pics it's easy to see it's a cab lower body with a special 3-window roof above the beltline.

If I found that body there is no way in hell I'd try converting it to a regular 3-window. As the Kid said, why look like all the other 3-windows out there? You have something special.

@Cyclone Kevin

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The more I look at that Hupp coupe body, it appears there's another BIG difference...
    By using the 3 window 1/4 panels, and the shorter Cabriolet doors, they actually created a body that is a few inches SHORTER than a 33/34 Ford body;). Trying to use the Hupp body on a "stock" 33/34 frame could be an issue.

Clark Coe likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Buy a new Saw-Z-All blade. :cool:

kidcampbell71 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Where? I don’t see a pic...

hotrodjack33 and mcsfabrication like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am with you :eek: disappeared maybe

hotrodjack33 and mcsfabrication like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Why'd you remove your photos?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like he "edited" his post this morning...and now no pics:(
    Perhaps someone saw this thread, knew where that body was, and beat him to it;)

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  20. adam401

adam401

Dont ever EVER post a picture of a car you want. If you see something and you know or suspect its a big score, buy it. Always buy on the spot.

21. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

It has a weird roof to deck angle, like a convertible body.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

The belt molding has an odd door to quarter union. The right metal guy could improve that.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Major fender difference, but what a cool Hup.

24. spudshaft

spudshaft

OP, if you successfully buy the car repost the pictures please.

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

Here's one I spotted at 2019 Deuce Days. IMG_1315 - Copy.JPG

Jim Bouchard and The37Kid like this.
  26. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

Here's a local one. This is built with 33 parts. There is another also built as a 34. They are both on Ford frames and apparently the body bolts right on. Also the Ford dashboard bolts in. If you look at the roof you will see it's like a hardtop so a coupe doortop wouldn't work. I like it. The other one is black with a chopped top. The green pic is from the internet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This is an interesting post/thread…..
    I can’t tell how many years ago I did either a post-reply to a somewhat similar question.
    I posted visual/written information re: 1934 Hupmobile W-417 and 1935 Hupmobile W-517 coupe - sedan using my sourced copy of a 1934 Hupp Brochure that lists this particular model only to find it posted many other places online elsewhere.
    People above have some of the story down, but it’s not accurate. The Murray Body Company was owned/controlled by Hupmobile. They had their in-house design team and would do contract work for most other manufacturers as well as Hupmobile.
    In 1934 Hupp was at the forefront of what their management felt would be a cutting edge car. This would be the 1934 Hupmobile Aerodynamic Coupe/Sedan. 1934 was a testy time for automakers and of course the struggling economy. Very few marquee’s made it through and then all hell broke loose with a war 7 yrs later. The Walter P. Chrysler Co. decided to be at the forefront of the “Streamline Moderne” movement and unleash the complete “Airflow” line thinking that this was going to revolutionize the “Automotive World”

Good old Hupp also took a chance, but had a back up coincidentally up their sleeve and this is how the 4-5 series came about. If one didn’t sell, then the old stand by which was much more contemporary style wise and would
    appeal to their established customer base.
    Using their business acumen and the fact that FoMoCo was one of their major customers,
    They sought permission from their customer to take part of their Model 40’s design and elaborate on its design w/o being directly competitive with their own customer.

Hence this is why we have this “Hybrid-Ford” styled version.
    Now for the how, Hupmobile being in the body business knew just how to mix/match things to make it look so different, yet so familiar.
    This was solely done with the A pillars to the rear of a 1934 FoMoCo Model 40 Cabriolet, one just needs to study the body of the Ford Cabriolet and they’ll get quite an education when standing between a W-417-517 coupe
    Which is what the OP posed as a question.

The upper 1/2 involved a modified in length and slightly restyled Ford 3W Coupe Top,Windshield, Rear Window & Window Garnish molding. Well, this really changed the exterior of the body and the dashboard as well was mostly a Hupmobile product.

Where it got it’s Hupmobile look from was from the Chassis = “117” WB. A really stout stabilizing cage work in the front end under the longer than Ford hood. And of course the forward styled Front, Rear Fender’s and running boards. The grille in itself was much more striking than a Ford with a very kool Zeppelin on top of its grille shell decoration/design. image.jpg image.jpg So here’s how I know, I’ve had a Hupp W-417 for 22+ years and 34 Fords 12 years before the Hupp. They’re both striking designs and if I wouldn’t had seen a rod magazine feature back in the 80’s on a Hardtop Hupp/Ford, I probably wouldn’t have known about them till much later in life……;).

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you for the history lesion, now please explain the Hupmobile "garage" .:)

Bob

29. No doubt.

Any living room decorator with a Hupp'mobile front & center, and a leather couch back, equipped with a set of 8 lug Pontiac headrests ..

... is single. Hallelujah baby !!!! Get me some of THAT. :cool:

Jim Bouchard and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  30. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a Hupp sedan that was for sale in Australia a few years back. 90520668_10157314785084635_4299965413866864640_n.jpg 89940175_10157314785024635_1482391387935604736_n.jpg