Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac Intake Manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racingsnake, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

What is different about a 1963 Pontiac intake compared to a 1965 and up? I might be getting a 1963 389 that is missing the manifold. Ignoring coolant passages is it possible to bolt a later manifold on just to try and fire the motor up or are the bolt patterns and/or ports totally different?

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I think '65 and up had 14 degree cylinder heads.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know exactly what is different, but I've been told many times that you can't do that, the late manifolds won't go on the early heads, and vice versa.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1964 is the year break for what is considered old and new. If you look closely at the old and new manifolds, you will see the bolt pattern is slightly different towards the front closest to the cooling passages. There are those who have modified manifolds to interchange both ways, but the easiest thing to do is find the correct manifold. There are plenty of cast-iron manifolds floating around out there and even some cool aftermarket multi carb stuff.

Good luck and remember to post lots of pictures.

-Abone.

Deuces, porknbeaner and AHotRod like this.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a slight difference in 400s from '71 and '72. The 400 in my wife's '72 GP lost a valve that ruined the block. I found a nice running '71 GP 400, and tried to use the freshly painted and rebuilt '72 intake/Rochester, but that resulted in an exhaust crossover leak, so the '71 intake was reinstalled with no more leaks.

Deuces and porknbeaner like this.
  6. carbking

carbking

1955~1960
    1961~1964
    1965~1971
    1972~?

EDIT: the above refers to production passenger, not SD, which also differ.

Jon

Deuces, lemondana, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  7. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

bolt pattern on the intake is different bolt holes are lined up on a 65-up manifold and are staggered on the old intake and the water jacket opening are completely different

Deuces likes this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"SD"= Super Duty?

Just to be clear.

Deuces likes this.
  9. The info that Carb king gave is worthwhile. Write it down.

Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  10. wvenfield

wvenfield

If you happened to see my post on a cooling issue you will note that there are even differences on intakes that will fit. It's not going to affect what you are wanting to do but check coolant passages before installing.

Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  11. carbking

carbking

Some of the aftermarket companies offered intakes that could be used 1955~1964 by changing the position of plugs for the water passage. O.E. did not, at least to my knowledge, ever offer this option.

And yes, SD meant Super Duty, which early on was Heavy Duty.

Jon.

12. carbking

carbking

OP - if you plan to play with Pontiacs, acquire a copy of the book by Pete McCarthy, "Pontiac Muscle Car Performance 1955-1979"; most of your questions will find answers.

Pete - that is another cup of coffee you owe me! ;)

Jon.

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

You are right, it’s a must read for Pontiac guys.

Deuces likes this.

14. Thank you for reminding me! I have 4 Pontiacs & have been wanting to buy that book, but it slipped my mind!

To the OP, you should be able to find one in your area. I have one from my 64 GP but shipping that boat anchor from Ohio would be too much!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Deuces likes this.
  15. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure I used to have that book but it must have grown legs at some point...
    Was hoping to just borrow a later intake off a buddy for initial fire up attempt but seems like that’s not an option.

16. LARRY PARKS

LARRY PARKS

Deuces likes this.
  17. LARRY PARKS

LARRY PARKS

18. LARRY PARKS

LARRY PARKS

19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The four speed hydro will bolt onto the 65 up engines. I had one on a 66 389 and a 72 462.... That four speed Super hydro on the back of the 462 was so much fun!

The intakes don't fit unless you want to do a lot of work. There are a lot of them out there..

For a street car, I like the closed chambered 389 / 421 engine with a 068 cam and NO velocity killing porting..

Deuces likes this.
  20. JON
    You and Jeff ( @flamedabone ) are my goto poncho and carter carb guys. I appreciate both of you chiming in.

BTW got an SD that you want me to haul off? I'll give it back when I am done, I promise. LOL

Deuces likes this.
  21. carbking

carbking

Beaner - I actually have several of the SD's complete with carbs which you may haul off.

But since you will need something to haul them in, fill that something with portraits of dead presidents in green frames! :p ;) :D President Grant, in particular, is one of my favorites! A stack of 100 or so would get you close!

Jon.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  22. OK but it may take a bit I got to air up the tires on the truck and get my printer going. :D

23. carbking

carbking

For the folks following this banter, the Pontiac SD stuff is quite scarce, and quite expensive, and unless one is: (A) independently wealthy, and doesn't wish to stay that way, (B) restoring a genuine SD car, or (C) fabricating a genuine appearing SD clone; then probably not one's best choice.

For a performance street Pontiac engine, Offy made a number of 2x4 intakes, and one can use a number of relatively common and thus very inexpensive original Carter AFB's originally designed for Pontiac.

Two that we generally suggest (because of availability and cost) would be the 3300s or 3326s (both 1961~1963 Pontiac single 4 original equipment). These may be mixed or matched, and unless the engine is quite radical, will be very close on calibration, if left with the factory calibration.

About the only modifications generally needed are: plugging the hot idle compensator passage on one or both (depending on location, and transmission type), and adding a curb idle screw (don't try to use the original air bleed idle).

And Beaner, just for the record, I have 1 SD aluminum tripower with carbs, 2 SD dual quads with carbs, 2 of the SD 3-barrel carbs, 1 of the 4 cylinder Tempest SD carbs that I know where are; so your printer is going to get a workout! ;)

Jon.

Deuces, bchctybob, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. I only want one because I don't have one. :D

When I was in Kansas I had a '66 Grand Prix a 389 car that was pretty spiffy. I had a buddy that was a Super Duty guy, he had a '65 B-Ville and it always had an SD in it. They were not cheap clear back then but he had several and his stuff was always fast. I got an idea that I liked the mechanic better then the engine, life is like that I am afraid. ;)

Deuces, loudbang and carbking like this.
  25. I have a couple of questions about Edelbrock's P4B intake manifold.

1. What year was the P4B introduced and how long were they made?

2. What range of years of engines does the P4B fit?

FWIW, my mill is a 1960 389 4 barrel out of a Bonneville.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  26. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'd guess the P4B came out mid to late 60s. They fit 1965 on up Pontiacs. There was a version of that intake called the EP4B for 1964 and earlier.

Deuces and D-Russ like this.
  27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I had a P4B on a '69 or so Poncho 400 in a LeMans.

Deuces and D-Russ like this.
  28. I also ran a P4B on a late 60’s 400. Pretty sure it will fit all the way up to the latest Pontiac V8’s in the late 70’s. Seemed like it worked well for a slightly better than stock engine in a 69 Firebird too for reference.

Bill's Auto Works, Deuces and D-Russ like this.