Register now to get rid of these ads!

Truck year

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hipsi Matt, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Hipsi Matt

Hipsi Matt

Hi can anyone please help me identify what year my truck is,I'm in Australia and unfortunately it doesn't have an I'd plate,all I have is the body number-k56dc73 and the chassis number -k3r21607..???
    Any help would be great

Attached Files:

winduptoy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Hipsi Matt.
    Sorry for the small print, I know its a bitch to read, but this will show you that IHC ran that body style from 41 to 49, At least you know that your truck is a K series. These catalogs are not spendy, but they are a great source of information, see if you can find one online. Welcome to the world of IHC. Mine is a KB -5 series.

DC-3 & me (2).jpg

light truck catalog.jpg ihc page 1.jpg ihc page 2.jpg ihc page 3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'K' model International was '41 to WWII production and 1946 usually doesn't have grill and hood trim
    'KB' is later '47 and in to '49, designation, has stainless grill bar and hood trim so the grill would have holes for trim is a good rule of thumb
    Based on your body number, I'm guessing that it is a K5
    Edit: But the chassis is a K3 and would have a full floating axle. Does it have a full floating rear axle?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Hipsi Matt .
    Just a little side note to you.

IHC always included a " line setting ticket " which was the original build sheet, as the truck was ordered from the company or individual purchaser. They were sometimes on top of the glove box, or under the seat on top of the gas tank, sometimes affixed to the other side of the windshield visors, etc, etc, etc.

The big number on the upper right hand side of the document, is the line setting number, that will correspond to the current data base in Fort Wayne Indiana. As with all things IHC, you have to do a little bit of digging to find what you want, but that line setting number is a big help in identifying what was installed in any individual truck. That number, if you have it, will also, via the IHC data base, will tell you where all of the parts are in what ever distribution or dealership in the USA, its doubtful that it will reveal where parts are in Australia, but you never know till you try.

Now granted it appears that your truck has been stripped down, and no doubt, the line setting ticket from your truck has been lost a long time ago, I am assuming.

Good luck with the continued search for more information on your truck.
    From Dennis.

line_setting_ticket_150dpi (2).jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Hnstray likes this.

5. International built some oddball combos with special orders. Back when I was still turning wrenches for a living we had a customer that had two 3/4T 4WD longbed pickups but had been special ordered with some 1T bits (he sold/delivered pool tables; IIRC he ordered oversize wheels/tires). One came in for new brakes, couldn't find brake shoes for it. Parts house came up empty, International tried selling us the same wrong ones, then swore it didn't exist, finally went to the local parts warehouse and spent two hours opening boxes until I found some that matched. I don't recall what they were supposed to fit, but it wasn't that...

The really weird part is he ordered both trucks in the same year but about 3 months apart and they were supposed to be identical. The other one had different brakes.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Crazy Steve
    Indeed!
    Grinning to myself here, ya gotta love the weird wonderful world of IHC and the myriad of rabbit holes one can fall into trying to chase parts and gather correct information, from a company that primarily manufactured farm implements, tractors, and an amazing array of light trucks and heavy duty trucks!

7. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Back a hunderd years ago when I worked in an independent repair shop, I drew the job of an under dash electrical fire in an OT 71 IHC Travelall. There were 7 possible wiper switches available for that model. The IHC dealer told me I needed to give him the part # printed on the switch which was burnt to a crisp!!:eek:

irishsteve and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I see a big part of your Delima, there is somewhere slim and none actual usable info on the K series trucks on the net.
    You might want to check this group out, it looks like they have an active K series section. https://oldihc.wordpress.com/

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

There is little to decode from IH serial numbers. If you have a table of them, they do identify the time frame a truck was built in, but that is not hidden within the serial number. The system used depends upon what time frame you have in mind.
    For many years starting in the 1930's or earlier, each individual model had its own serial number sequence starting with 501 when the model was introduced. For example, there was an R100-501, R120-501, R130-501, etc.
    When the S-line was introduced in 1955, it also started with serial S501, but there was no separate sequence for the various S models. S501 may have been a 110, S502 a 130 or 150, etc.

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. Hipsi Matt

Hipsi Matt

Thanks for the info guys,can't believe how many versions of these trucks there are,yes mine had the full floating rear end,just wish I could find out exactly what year etc mine is.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. Hipsi Matt

Hipsi Matt

Another thing I noticed with my truck,it doesn't have the wind out front windshield or any holes in the nosecone/grill area where a chrome grill would have been fitted.