Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dick Arons R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAVEMAN_1960, Nov 29, 2021.

1. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

This is old news, but as I was visiting my lonely Maytag Repairman here in Royal Oak, MI the topic of other local business owners and the name Booth-Arons came up. Back in the late '60's and the '70's Wally and Dick were BBC Chevy engine masters. They ran a shop in Berkley, MI for many years. The business was sold off a while ago and Dick Arons retired to Southfield, MI. One of the guys at the Maytag store was a close friend of Dick's and he told me that Mr. Arons passed away a few months back. I checked to be sure and the obit was dated Aug. 15th. I was a customer of his shop several times but mostly for the base SBC crate engines that Dick put together. Maybe some other HAMB members remember Dick and/or Wally Booth?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yes I do....:(:(

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Last week I drove by the old Booth-Arons shop on 12 Mile. No idea what it is now. But it made me smile to remember. The shop where the Ramchargers ran their Funny Cars and Top Fuel cars out of is a mile or so from my house. I think it is a dental place or something or other now.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.

4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

A shame to hear about Dick Arons. Of course, when talking Super Stock / Pro Stock
    the Grump, Ronnie Sox, Gapp & Roush and Glidden are going to come up but I
    always added Arons, Booth, Roy Hill, Richie Zul and others to the list.

While looking for a particular photo I ran across this one of Wally Booth's Camaro.
    HAMB friendly? No, but it is drag racing history friendly.

122.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

RIP Dick, i knew i knew that name. i'm a old amc fan.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I remember them switching over too the AMC camp back in???... '73-'74 I think...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Wally Booth was the driver of the Camaro, but it was a Booth-Arons entry. Dick Arons was the wrench and partner.

loudbang, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Was it not Booth Arons who made AMC competitive in Pro Stock by sandwich slicing two heads and brazing them together into a high port hipo head?

KevKo, loudbang, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

That I don't know....

10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

The HORNET X I believe was that car. We had a Sunoco station on Coolidge and 12 mile in Berkley back then I was in high school and stopped in there a couple times for some stickers.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P. Racer....

13. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Frenchtown is correct about the cylinder heads. They started with a Gremlin, then switched to the more aero Hornet. Pro Stock was pretty crazy then. And a lot more "stock" than today's P/S cars.

14. Rod J M

Rod J M

I remember the Booth-Arons shop well. I had them build me a small block chev for my '75 Chev Monza. Never failed me despite many attempts. End of an era.

chryslerfan55 likes this.