Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 WILLYS VIN NUMBER LOCATION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by streetrodder71, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Need to know the location for the VIN number on a 33 Willys Model 77 Coupe. I am building one & would like to put the VIN plate in the proper location. Thanks for any
    help.Jerry

2. If I am not mistaken, there was a brass tag on the front crossmember, or on the passenger side of the body, that was seen when the door is opened.

3. Thanks Nick for your response. But I am hoping to hear from a owner who would
    be able to describe the location, discription, & size in some detail.

4. 20211129_135418.jpg 20211129_135522.jpg The Serial number tag was aluminum and in two places. First one riveted on the driver side frame rail in front of the rear spring shackle. The second was riveted on the top of the door sill also on the driver side behind the opening for the parking brake handle. They all started with 77 and then a space followed by the numerical serial number, if it's a legit Willys number. The tag was moved to the front crossmember starting in 1937.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    32fenderless and Fordors like this.

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Mine had one on the chassis a small oblong aluminum plate. The other was on the firewall I forget wherein was also a small oblong aluminum plate. But mine was a 34.

Pat

6. Pat, if you car had a tag on the firewall it was under the bump out for the support rod to the grille. See pic for location. This was a body tag and had nothing to do with the serial number, as a matter of fact if the car was assembled in Toledo, Ohio that tag was nailed to the front floor board in front of the battery opening. The cars with the tag on the firewall were assembled on the west coast. Cars assembled on the west coast also had a "P" stamped into the serial number plate between the 77 and the rest of the numbers riveted to the frame which stood for the Pacific branch. 20211129_154242.jpg

Fordors and 1934coupe like this.
  7. 1933 willys 77, My car was bought from a car dealer from Virginia in 2003 .Thank you for your information on the placement of the VIN numbers for my 33 Willys. Are reproduction VIN plates & patent plates available for the Model 77? or was a strip of aluminum all there was. I have seen them for the 1940 Willys but not the 33. The car is about ready to move under its own power & I would like to have numbers where numbers are suppose to be. Thanks for your help & thanks to the others who responded to this post. I will send pic when I get further along. Jerry

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure how you can buy a car from a dealer that has a clear title and no vin? Is it a Virginia thing? Just asking.

9. 51504bat, I have the numbers but the plates were worn away. I needed to know
    what they looked like & the placement. I hope that clear things up for you.
    Thanks for your interest. Jerry

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

The plates are only the little oval/oblong aluminum. Those repo plates are for later Willys not 77's.

Pat

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understood. I once had an OT MG with a CA DMV assigned VIN. The frame sat outside in the SoCal sun for so long the numbers weren't easily readable any more. Looking forward to photos of your Willy's