Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Priced out of market

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Not naive, but in shock like the rest of us. Someone is paying these astronomical prices but not me- I'll hold out. I've worked too hard for my damn money.
    Had the day off yesterday, hit Costco and thought about grabbing a couple of steaks to grill up for the Wife when she got home. Filet mignon $23 lb., top sirloin $13 lb. Someone must be buying it. I tossed some chicken in the basket. Yeah I have the money but it's back to that threshold word again and I'd reached it.

Sorry to hear about your condition. Live each day to the fullest!

2OLD2FAST, Blues4U, Tman and 2 others like this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The folks over at Legacy Classic Trucks, who do the WW2 Dodge Power wagons, command a very high price as well, they start at 150K and go up from there ! Great machines and excellent fabrication/restoration, but certainly out of the average persons price range and budget, IMHO !

Tman likes this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Really it just takes time, and patience to still find deals on project cars. They're out there, but will likely not be as nice as those we could find a decade ago. Still I've found some that I considered bargains, but usuaally because most guys passed them up because of the work needed.

Squablow and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

While at 74 and with health issues I understand needing a truck with no rust issues, AD pickups have every body panel available and they are fairly easy to fix up. It is time consuming and delayed gratification, and the cost of even rusted
    trucks has gotten higher, but the price of new trucks is crazy also, if you can even find one you want. My old partner
    is paying $700 a month for a 1/2 ton chevy! I paid $700 for my 1950 3/4 ton, granted I have spent several times that
    on it since then, but less than my buddy paid in the last year.

2OLD2FAST and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  5. 327Eric

327Eric

The f100 was free a year ago. I have only chased one car specifically, my 59 ElCamino. Every other car I have had, and there have been a lot, has fallen into my lap, free or damn near. I have only bought one that was advertised, but have knocked on a lot of doors. I never wanted a 59 F100, or many of the projects I have had, but enjoyed most of them none the less. I am not short of available projects in my price range, which right now is non existant. Be adventurous, knock on doors, meet your neighbors, make new friends,(do not go off the paved road in Northern California between October and November. Hemp farmers can be defensive) IMG_20210509_221432.jpg

6. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

You got me beat I paid $50 for this one with a title about 10 years ago...... 60 beater.jpg

7. RmK57

RmK57

You should easily double your money on that one.:rolleyes:

8. While I don't think I will ever be priced out of the market, I don't spend stupid money for anything unless it is something I have dreamed about forever! If the right 60's E series Jag came along, I would probably spend "stupid money" but for the most part I buy things that are clean & different that "trip my trigger" & can be had for under $20K.

Last year I sold a 64 Chevy step-side pickup from Cal. that was 100% rust-free minus engine & trans for a fairly cheap price. I am not going to look back & think ...Wow, I should have kept it an extra year just to make more money! If you do your research, especially since these days there are so many outlets to search, there are deals to be had!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to ask at 74 what are the importance of the LSR motorcycles? Did you build and ride them in LSR events? Are they current record holders?
    Between my health and car/motorcycle hobby you can guess which one is first.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

I actually bought this one last year because it was cheap and I figured I'd never get another shot at one, although it's so rough it's almost laughable. But sometimes you only get one chance and I don't see the prices crashing so I got the one I could afford. Found a bonnet for it, hoping to rework it into an open 2 seater, possibly racing-styled.

Sometimes you've got to work with what you can find. I'd rather take a whack at fixing this pile rather than live a life of regret from never having tried. At least I can say I have one, I guess.

Jag day 1 pic 1.jpg

11. only the best condition e types!

12. Plus, you can fit more hookers in the 4 door, not including trunk space of course.

13. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

14. I’d build that.
    It’s just metal

Tman and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  15. This one is dang near perfect
    293F3289-9BE3-4180-BCD6-A114899BB65D.jpeg

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Everything on the internet or CL is overpriced since most have watched those auctions and know what they have,take a drive on the weekend and see what is for sale locally.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  17. Contrary to what others might claim, there are deals to be had on CL, Offer Up, and probably Facebook Marketplace (I don't do Facebook), others, etc.
    There are also quality sellers and buyers..of course, it's easier to focus on the Flakes..you'll get lots of support with that claim.
    It takes knowledge of the marketplace, ready cash, patience, commitment, and the willingness to act on it.
    When serious about that next purchase, utilize all resources available, to have the best success.

18. 5window

5window

Bill, with all your travels and connections, if I was looking for something specific, I'd put you on notice! Maybe you should start a "dating service".

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  19. I am curious about other areas. Here in South Dakota CL is about dead, our weekly shopper newsprint is dead. The only place I do see things advertised is on Marketplace. Any other areas like this?

bondojunkie likes this.
  20. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Thanks for posting that, @Squablow! You've made me feel a lot better about dragging this POS home! DSCN6986.JPG

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

CL killed themselves when the started charging for auto ads. We still get a lot around here, but maybe a quarter of what you used to see. And now you see car ads in other sections, like the auto parts section.

22. Truckedup

Truckedup

Too off topic and my reply was deleted ...Yes and yes .Let's just say they are now trophies..
    A moderator here offered me a 50's Ford truck , it was decent but I prefer a Chevy if that's a reason to pass on a Ford...

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It is regional on what is out there, here in Washington there is so much more old stuff for sale as compared to when I was in Michigan. I’ve seen a lot of decent deals over the last 8 years. The 40 convert that 40fordpu has, I watched that for a while on Craigslist just didn’t have a place or need for another car at the time, but it was a great price and great car.

40FORDPU and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. Jones St.

Jones St.

FB market place has w a y more than CL. Some of you bash the FB like a badge of honor..........yet here you are on a social network page. When food gets to be another 20%. Gas another dollar per gallon. Hobby price$ will begin to pale in comparison.

25. Budget36

Budget36

And that has what to do with CL or FB MP?

26. ken bogren

ken bogren

Like a few dollars for an ad was gonna break the bank

5window and chevyfordman like this.
  27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I noticed when CL started charging all the uber cheap cars disappeared from there. I've gotten a few free classics just because I put in the work to drag them home. Saved a '73 Chevy shortbed (free), Plymouth Scamp (free), a slant six four speed Dodge Aspen wagon that ran and drove after changing an ignition module (free), '69 Valiant two door sedan ($1), '67 Valiant two door sedan ($300), a ex-track '55 Chevy two door sedan missing the front clip and doors ($300), and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. All these from Craigslist.

Who's going to spend any amount of money to give away or sell a sub $200-$300 car? Those cars are probably just being hauled away by the scrappers who advertise for free and will give you $80+ and show up with a tow truck to haul it off for you.

bondojunkie, Tman, Blues4U and 2 others like this.

28. I can say for sure that there are deals to be had on FB Marketplace. I have purchased 3 vehicles off of it (2 were Hamb friendly) & I was very happy with the sellers, their descriptions & the sale prices. 2 of the 3 I know I could have flipped with very little extra effort, but that is not why I bought them. The 3rd was a parts car that is way to nice to part, but I needed a very hard to get quarter. I was on the way to look at & probably buy number 4 just north of Dallas, but on the way from Waco I got a call from the seller saying that she had sold the car to someone else who came to look at it.

@5window ....No dating service! Would be hard to explain to my woman I was transporting that kind of body!:D

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

29. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Best deal I have seen in a while...... 1939 Ford Truck 1939 Ford flat head V8, all parts included. Does not run needs to be towed. Tracy California Face book marketplace $3500 Just posted at 4:15 pm today 1939 ford.jpg

bondojunkie, Jibs, Tman and 4 others like this.
  30. finn

finn

People have been pulling old cars out of Az, Tx, Ca, and the Dakotas for forty years. The supply isn’t endless, and they don’t regenerate.

The $5.00 CL charge didn’t kill it. That’s crazy talk. It’s just a natural occurring trend when consumers started moving to Facebook. Many forums have disappeared completely as trends change.

gimpyshotrods and 41 GMC K-18 like this.