Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sectioning 49 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, Nov 25, 2021.

1. desotot

desotot

So I have a 4dr merc I am going to change to a 2 door. I have the idea that a chop with a side window line like the Hirohata merc would look nice. Then I wondered if I could section it a couple of inches. I was watching a youtube thing on the Hirohata merc and they mentioned the 1955 repaint for a movie called Running Wild. So of course I had to watch the movie on youtube. The screen is wide which makes the hirohata merc and the chopped convertible merc both look sectioned. This made my knees go weak and I seem stuck on the idea.Does anyone have ppics of sectioned mercs or any experience doing one? I found one pic here on the hamb.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and williebill like this.
  2. desotot

desotot

Of course it could also be the destruction of a good car.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd stick with going to a two door and chopping the top and calling it good. At least I wouldn't even think about sectioning it until you have the two door conversion and chop finished far enough that you can stand back and take a serious look at it. I owned a 51 for 32 years and those slab sides magnify any and all and even the most minute flaw.
    This guy has a sectioned 51 that he allegedly has had since 1999 and you can see the cut and weld lines from some angles but that helps you know how he cut it. Chopped, Channeled, & Sectioned 401 Buick Nail Head V-8, Auto, Kustom No Reserve for sale - Mercury Custom 1951 for sale in Roy, Washington, United States (davidsclassiccars.com)
    51 Merc sectioned.jpg

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Desotot, the one above was built by Dave Stucky. Yes, the person who built the Lil Coffin. Ross is now 84. He drives it often. IMG_20200410_0001.jpg 2019-07-25_214032.jpg

5. williebill

williebill

Larry Kramer built a nice one years ago. I've seen him post on the HAMB before. If he's still around, he could probably give you some tips.

Edit.. Larry's hamb name is king of the mercs

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and desotot like this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@williebill ---Larry`s. It`s been seen in Colorado. Looks more like a lowrider now. Scan0734.jpg

kidcampbell71, Stogy, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  7. desotot

desotot

For sure a merc is not a simple car to section. And I suppose a good chop always works on a merc , even as a stand alone trick.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. X-cpe

X-cpe

A chance you take any time you get out the cutting instruments.

Stogy and SS327 like this.
  9. williebill

williebill

Just remembered an under construction chopped and sectioned Merc that was in light gray primer at a couple of KKOA shows years ago. Seems like it had an Oklahoma plate, Packard bumpers, and the hood wasn't finished, so the top half of the hood was screwed into the bottom half. You could see the cut lines on it, too. Really good stance. I bought a pair of those Packard bumpers because of that car, but still haven't used them. The gray one ran a vanity plate that said "Snoopy" or "Sloopy" or something like that. I've got pics somewhere in the catacombs, but don't know where. Sorry.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and desotot like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Don't do it all at once:eek:
    Get the 2 door conversion done. Chop it. See if you wanna section it.....too many changes at once causes its own problems.

Part of the whole Merc look is the tall slab sides with the exaggerated chopped top.
    I'm all for jumping out of the norm...wedge section it and have everyone guessing. Keep OG height at the grill and have the whole body shrink as it moves back, like the roof chop.

Stogy, SS327 and desotot like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

12. williebill

williebill

Thanks for posting that pic, Stanlow

Stogy and stanlow69 like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they sectioned a Merc at the 2000 Kkoa show in Wichita, The hall of famers worked on it during the show. The car is owned by Butch Harness

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I don't know if I like the idea of sectioning the Merc, but sure look forward to you showing us how to make the change from a four door to a two door. Good luck with the project!

desotot likes this.
  15. SS327

SS327

To me, I think any slab sided car if done right looks fantastic. And pickups look even better. The big trouble is with us “full figured” guys getting in or out. Even fitting behind the steering wheel can be a challenge.

desotot and Stogy like this.
  16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Les Cove Au Manny_Merc_1.jpg Manny_Merc_2.jpg Manny_Merc_3.jpg to Body, in NJ built a 4 door, chopped, hardtopped, and sectioned Merc back in the late 50's. It was never finished, but eventually found, by Manny Bastiao in the 80's. I did the front end work on it (as it hadn't been addressed yet), and Manny did the mechanicals, BJ miller did the rest of the body and paint. Not sure where it is now, as it's been through many owners (Manny has passed away)

17. That is a stunning car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Seems like a lot of Shoebox Fords got sectioned in the heyday of customizing, but much fewer Mercs. And probably 15 years ago there was a renewed interest in sectioning 50's cars but mostly focused on 53-54 Chevys.

I think it could look cool, especially if it's a subtle amount, although it would be a shitload of work. One nice thing is though, that photoshopping a section job is REALLY easy to do, so if you get the car 2 door converted and chopped you can play with different depths of sectioning or different cut lines until you nail the perfect profile before you even cut into the metal.

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Get busy then….do it it’s a 4 door

desotot likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

If you section it so much that it obviously looks sectioned...you took too much out!

X-cpe and desotot like this.
  21. desotot

desotot

I will do the chop and 2dr conversion first. And like A Boner Says, if it looks sectioned... I took too much out.
    A section on a merc is a lot of work and would I take it out above the lower quarter panel line or below?
    below is a lot less work but the wheels will loose clearance in the body, above the lower quarter panel line translates in to more headaches in the sheet metal but allows me more rubber clearance in the tubs.

22. Voodoo Larry is sectioning a 4 door on his instagram account right now.

23. oldsman41

oldsman41

I don’t know. I get making it a 2 door, but mercs are supposed to be long and low, hell if you section it you should have bought a 50 Ford. But it is your car. And I like to see what the end result will be.

24. SS327

SS327

3”-4” would be perfect in my opinion.

desotot likes this.
  25. desotot

desotot

Every night I walk down to the shop and stare the merc and have come to realize that the way the mercs look the movie ' Running Wild " are quite distorted because of the wide screen and achieving that look is beyond the time I have at my disposal . I think I will focus on a Hirohata version Of the chop with a 49/50 back window version.

26. badshifter

badshifter

27. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

This would be interesting, I wonder where the quarter panels would be cut, keeping in mind the the lower sections unbolt.