Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Priced out of market

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Been trying to buy an IDENTICAL one here locally, guy will not part with it.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. Crocodile

Crocodile

People are strange animals. I have a very solid and mostly complete 41 Ford Tudor. With a clean title to the correct car. I listed it at $2400 and would move from that. Not much interest.
    I painted a set of steelies red, mounted some tires, and brought it to a somewhat local swap meet. Drew a crowd immediately. Same story from 3 guys, "if I wasn't already started on my car, I would buy this in a heartbeat". All 3 were four door cars, and the money spent was on drivetrain (all 350 Chevies). I said, buy this, use your stuff, and don't have to build floors. Nobody bit.
    I think I will bring it to the back to the fifties swap next year. I can probably get $4000 in the first two hours, and it will be a bargain compared to what's around it.
    My point- be willing to travel. Go where the money ISN'T. Nobody wants to go north of the twin cities, and shoots themselves in the foot buying junk close to home. If you see something you like that is a long distance, insist on good pictures of where you want them to be.

hotrodjack33 and chevyfordman like this.
  3. 75FC52FA-FB55-4A0D-AB4B-B61F25A2C35F.jpeg

The beater prices are up.

4. RmK57

RmK57

My pic of the 57 f-100 got deleted. I think the wheels were too naughty?

la trip 509.JPG

Joe Travers and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  5. Truckedup

Truckedup

But the LSR bikes are not for sale..If I croak first my wife will keep them..But sooner or later we have a daughter who is a junk/antique dealer, they will be hers.

Budget36 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. Commercial truck are crazy
    C80BF2E9-67E6-4B8D-A01B-07371F5A6766.jpeg

Guys are placing want adds with finders fees for oddball stuff.
    Milk trucks and step vans have jumped up.
    One reason for the phenomenon is most of these won’t be painted. Modern drive train, fix the seats, new weatherstripping, make it structurally sound and done.
    And I dig that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Tman and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. 9500 is insane, I sold a Ma Bell utlity box to a HAMBer for $400 a while back

8. I passed on one 15 years ago at a pic-a-part. Regretted it ever since.
    I have located a factory ribbed flatbed. Trying to work out the details on grabbing it.
    But I thought I paid too much for this a few years ago.
    1B3879A0-F774-41D1-B116-EB8E07D1722F.jpeg
    turns out $600 was a deal.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 and Tman like this.
  9. This Utility body is still sitting here and could be bought for a good profit more

41 GMC K-18 and anthony myrick like this.
  10. That would look good on my 49 gmc

41 GMC K-18 and Tman like this.
  11. I can put you in touch with teh HAMBer that owns it

12. I get it’s a few miles away from central bama
    But I’d like to check it out

13. Let me drop him a line and shoot you some pics

41 GMC K-18 and anthony myrick like this.
  14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

20201219 Gabby - Cropped - Edit.jpg
    1952 Ma Bell - Picture cropped to avoid the delete finger...

Truck has big and little's -The 15" spare is behind the door (upper-left - stock spare tire location) and the 16" spare hangs under the back (somewhat newer spare tire hanger from Pick-A-Part).

Russ

Baumi, 41 GMC K-18 and Tman like this.
  15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I got into the same thing a couple months ago Danny. I heard about a 56 Chevy driver with a later 350/350 combo for sale but didn't post an asking price. I went to check it out, it was way worse than the truck you looked at but seemed to run decent, more rust than I would have liked but not too patched and cobbled up. When I asked the price the guy kept asking what I would give. I told him to give me a place to start, finally he said he had turned down $20,000. When I laughed at him he got really pissed and told me if I didn't have any money I was wasting his time! It wouldn't have been worth 5K of my bucks!

hotrodjack33 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm, high school, you say. Don't think I can put up w/the antics n drama. It was enough ~50 yrs ago, & that was a very small school. Maybe "audit" the class? ??? :D . Or not. Thanks anyways. Beginning to wish I was completely mobile, but that would bring it's own set of "isssues", which for now, I'd prefer to avoid. Nuts, anyway.
    Marcus...

17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I think you guys arent looking hard enough, in my neck of the woods theres a 36 plymouth for 2k, a 54 f100 thats 1800 i believe and many more. I get taunted by facebook marketplace all the time. Thats how i ended up selling my 47 ford for 2k and buying my 33 dodge coupe for 900 bucks

anthony myrick, 41 GMC K-18 and Tman like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One out here in just slightly better condition just sold for $29,699.

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Buy my '41 Ford truck! Cheap!!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1941-ford-3-4-ton-truck.1235706/#post-14169030

Seriously, I haven't been able to figure out why nobody wants this heap.

Sold a Dodge Dart. Traded away a Mercury. I'm not working on anything else until I'm driving my roadster so I haven't done anything to it since I posted it.

I'm either going to part it out or throw a half ton front end on it so people maybe won't think it so ugly.

anthony myrick likes this.
  20. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

Am I the only one who see's the irony in the second part of this post?

Fella moans about being priced out of things and over the top valuations, then tells us his Daughter is in the business of doing exactly that! o_O

21. I have been after an AD pickup for a while , just about every one I send a message to on Fakebook, etc, either don't reply or don't answer simple questions like "What motor does this have ?". I have had a couple checked out by an agent, but it seems I keep finding the "10 feet" pickups with the "1 foot" price tag. So if anyone has one for sale, standard 6 cyl, complete running and stopping vehicle, that has a good rust-free or minimal rust body, please let me know. I am just after something I can get mechanically reliable, but the body and tray stays as is. I was ready a couple of years ago to jump on the big white bird and have a "buying holiday", but because of the bat-eaters, that has snuffed that one out.
    If you have one but work on an oil rig and can send it to me by mail for me to inspect before buying, I have a bridge I can swap you for it.

Tman, hotrodjack33 and Budget36 like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

That last paragraph has me laughing!
    I know a guy who has a few AD and TF farm trucks. I’ll see if he wants to let anything go. If he does I’ll put you in touch, if he’s selling gold, don’t yell at me!

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

you are full of shit

24. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There was an gentlemen who lived in a small town, just outside of Colorado Springs, own a 33 Ford coupe, 283 where the flathead was, everything pretty much the same as it came from the factory. He chop it and channel it until it was belly button high. For seats he had installed bucket seats from an old MG (very uncomfortable). I was talking to him one day and he said that he was a body man by trade and not a mechanic. His wife hated it because she was very big and the car very small and uncomfortable, so she never road in it. Like everything else, he got tired of the expense of running two cars and put the car into the garage. Soon the tires were flat, rakes and garden tools were leaning against it, and last, boxes of stuff were placed on top of the car. Giving in to the complaining wife, she wanted a place to park the car, they were driving, he cleaned out the garage and found a place for everything, most items ended up in the rafters. He pulled the old Ford out, hose it down, and put air into the tires using a small air pump, and the spirit of driving a hot rod resurface. Due to the fact that the car sat, it was in pretty poor shape, compared to it when he park it in the garage. Adding up everything in his head of what would be needed to get the car back on the road exceeded his retirement weekly income. The car sat for two hours in his driveway, which by the way, was located on a side street, not the main fare, a guy stopped and asked if he wanted to sell. First thing that came into the old guy's mind was to sell the coupe and buy a undesirable 4 door Ford from the 30s. He let the car go for pennies on the dollar only to be sticker shock by the cost of obtaining a undesirable (yea - right) 4 door Ford, ranging from 1933 to 1940.

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^^ You didn't disclose this in your opening post. You said you were "priced out of the market" and wanted to know "how someone of normal means can afford a Hot Rod"?
    You later replied that you sold your 3 old trucks and bought a daily and a couple LSR bikes. There's an outpouring of ideas on how to raise capital including selling the bikes as well as links to reasonable trucks for sale.
    Your hobby $ in the trucks was converted to the bikes, but you don't want to give up the bikes to free up the hobby $ to go back to trucks. Your liquid cash is not an option as it's earmarked as "blood money," and I think that's smart and I understand that.
    The last option is to buy the truck and if you have a medical catastrophe, as a last resort, put the truck up for sale to pay the hospital bills. If you pass, you're Daughter certainly sounds qualified to handle the estate, so you don't have to worry your Wife will be taken advantage of. You're 74 and could at least enjoy the truck in the meantime.
    So unless someone practically gives you a truck, I feel this whole thread is moot.
    It should have been titled "Am I the only guy that thinks old truck prices are crazy"?
    It's a lot about thresholds and we all have them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    williebill, Thor1, WalkerMD and 8 others like this.
  26. Truckedup

Truckedup

To the response above..To be frank, I'm 74 with stage 4 esophagus cancer despite not having the risk factors . My treatments, trial chemo, cost me about 600 bucks a month beyond what Medicare Advantage pays for. I might live a year or six years, the docs can't say, it's uncharted territory...I get a CT Scan every two months, so my future is renewed every 8 weeks ...or not..If my wife survives me she won't be left with a pile bills. I have seen the mess when people don't consider the future...
    But I am alive and can still function and be an asshole :rolleyes:
    Obviously I can sell the bikes if push comes to shove...My original post was meant to show my surprise at the huge increase in selling prices. Maybe I was naive....

27. Some guys just watch too muck BJ and think, hey I got one of those out in the barn so it must be worth a lot of money.

The truck below has been totally restored and it sold for a little more than what the guy was asking for the 50 I looked at, I just had no idea that a worn out ,beat up old pickup was worth almost what a restored one is. HRP

upload_2021-11-29_12-56-32.jpeg

28. You ARE NOT naive. Asking prices have gotten crazy the last few years. With trucks I would say it is in part from the auctions and also from the Boutique companies like Icon convincing people that a K5 Blazer or AD pickup with an LS is worth 150K

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

Like Bring A Trailer ?

30. And BaT, I don't even follow that one but know of it.