Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Priced out of market

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Nov 28, 2021.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

There are a couple of "issues" with the IH SV series of V8 engines (266, 304, 345 and 392 CID). In the distant past, I've run a 266 (only good for a very light pickup truck) and a few 392's. The SV engines were produced from 1959 to 1985.
    1. Some of these engines have bad cam bearings. The Babbitt metal is not well bonded to the bearing shell. Very typical of engines that have sat for years. Look for soft metal chunks in the oil pan.
    2. Engine times on #8 cylinder (passenger firewall side). Several "dead" engines were timed on #1 and resurrected by a proper tuneup.
    3. A note on automatic transmissions. Originally delivered with Borg-Warner, in the early 1970's, Mopar 727's were phased in. NOTE: The bellhousing pattern is unique to IH on both!
    4. Subject to vapor lock when using ethanol containing fuel.
    5. Gas mileage is similar to the Chevy 454 (i.e. "In the toilet"). About 15 years ago, we towed a small 5th wheel camper from AZ, to Port Angeles, WA and back in a big loop. Gas mileage sucked and we had a few vapor lock "time-outs" - BUT - Lots of smiles per mile.
    6. All that heavy metal is a limited protection in a crash. I was in an off-set rear end accident in a 1971 IH Camper Special pickup. Slammed me sideways into a parked car. The seat belt kept me behind the wheel, but slammed me violently into the door. The door was bent on both the outside and the inside - I did not walk for a while...
    p.s. The 392 went into my wife's 1975 Scout II
    p.p.s. If the Camper Special was not totaled, it would be powered by a B-series Cummins diesel and screw-tradition. I built a Cummins powered replacement with the insurance money. It has seen 37 states so far and towed a few project cars home.

Russ

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

With the price of trucks going up is a good thing. That means less are getting crushed. They are being sold to be fixed up. Thus, people spending money. Which means income and a better economy. Isn`t that a good thing. If you don`t buy it. Somebody else will.

Packrat, BigDogSS, Tman and 2 others like this.
  3. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Truck prices (esp. 4X4) doubled overnight when the lockdown started last year. People were looking to get out of the house and have some fun. It started a huge buying trend and drove up prices. It will fall back down a bit when things get back to some level of normalcy. Hopefully next year. If you want to sell, do it now ;)

Joe

4. How about a mini truck? I recently saw a Crosley project for cheap. Then there's the 60-65 (Falcon) Ranchero.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. I paid $200 for this one a couple years ago
    15720C8E-D1AA-41E5-BC5D-3469E8EC25D6.jpeg
    Yea it’s a big truck but I dig it.
    After we got this one on the road I started looking at 1/2 tons. Decent running and driving trucks are in the 5-8k around here.
    Decent builders can bring 2k easy.
    Helped sell this for a friend a few months ago
    3A970779-AB68-4650-890B-32B9E727D7C0.jpeg
    $1400. Thought that was a great price. I didn’t need any more projects. The guy had it running and stopping 2 weeks later.

I was offered 5k for my 67 swb f100. And me keeping the engine. Almost sold it until I started looking for a replacement.

there are good deals out there but ya better be ready to grab em. I’ve seen em sell in less than an hour after being posted.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

dont look in massachussets any pickup here will have 3 zeros on the end of the price no matter if it rolls or wont and looks like the rust moth s got ahold of it

Sart156 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  7. Truckedup

Truckedup

My trucks in 2005...I built all of them from the ground up...over the years I sold them off, the 51 went to Holland, the 37 hot rod went to a guy here on the HAMB and the two ton went to Canada...They were sold for reasonable money at the time...The money was used to buy a daily driver truck and bikes....There were also Jeeps and a 68 Chevy truck that got sold off to finance building vintage race bikes.
    .The two LSR bikes are retired and worth a shit load of money to the right person...
    I would really like a C30 flatbed like Anthony Myrick showed above...
    8119728629_dcb4d3c278_z.jpg

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Truckedup;
    I do understand. Thankyou. I don't have means, but will not spend to put myself n family in danger. Priorities, & a non-willingness to gamble $$$ I don't have (& haven't figured out a way to earn excess of) on a future I can't get back. So hobby is enjoyed as I can, at a level I can. Those are some nice trucks.

TTT;
    To some extent, those are advantages also. Except #1 - that one cost me a 392. I finally figured out why & it had a rebuilder tag in it too, can be rebuilt though. Fuel economy - yup - don't use these as daily drivers. I did for a couple of years. But soon figured out that they weren't much worse than newish trucks in terms of mpgs - & w/o the heavy payments for loans or insur. So they'll get used on a as-needed-basis, just like the current truck/xuv. Towing w/the IH's beats the hell out of anything else, except another IH. ~450->500lb/ft @ 1500-3600 rpm isn't all that bad. A 345 or even a 392 will outpull most any other stock big block & last longer doing it. Not out-rev or out-race - there, they'd be last. :) . "Modernizing" them will improve reliability + mpg, aka: hotrodding(more than one way to define hotrodding). Slowly rebuilding the ones I have, unless someone wants them more than me. & the newer stuff will then be sold. I don't do Status... &, oddly, I feel more comfortable(at home feeling) in the older trucks than new ones. Maybe because I'm older now too. :) .

Anthony;
    You're getting me to wish I could move down to AL & take classes from you to learn metalwork. Lord knows I have enough to practice on. If you like stuff that needs work - I'm your guy! :D .

Marcus...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  9. This one is a ways away for ya But from Tn is should have a title.

80587920-40E8-41F9-A8EF-23AA6623F629.jpeg 1E587F6F-4265-48CC-A492-132CA076D181.jpeg

Mine is a c40. Those are oddball. Looks like a c30 but has a higher gvw. Has the 5/10 lug bolt pattern.

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Seen foxbody mustang prices? The right Haro bicycle can easily bring 3k. My Nautique vdrive I bought for 17, I turned down 25k for this summer. My 68 c10 I bought for 2k, put some effort into, and sold for 12k after 2-3 summers? I saw one sell for 70 this year that was a little nicer(insanity)...everyone wants the stuff they wanted as a kid, and can now afford, price be damned.

I'll say I agree as stated above, you have to be ready to pounce. Be patient, and be ready. Dude was asking 15k for my shoebox what, two years ago? I got there, saw it cold start, heard it run, and didn't make an offer, I handed him the damn cash and drove off smiling. Don't hem and haw when you do find something! Jump.

11. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I talked to a guy that I had heard had over 50 Chevy AD trucks, I was a week too late, he crushed them all!!

12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. You’d have to enroll in high school to take the class.:):)
    I consider myself semi-retired. I finally get to work on my junk, occasionally anyway.
    Current beater project is this
    FF5F2781-195D-4CFA-AB57-107F7450300B.jpeg

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

That black truck rings my bell...

15. Looked like a decent old truck in the pics. Nicely dressed 327 and sm420.

16. Truck might be gone. Couldn’t find it.
    But this one popped up
    CE349756-594D-49A1-9056-2FEB9B03C473.jpeg

has a hard to find factory ribbed bed

17. 5A394937-CF75-489B-A5A6-7DFB610EC064.jpeg
    and this is a 10 footer.
    The kind of truck you’d pay 3-5k not that long ago
    Good looking truck but not restored. Just an on frame paint job. 6cyl

18. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

19. v8flat44

v8flat44

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too have been (casually) looking for a driver/beater 50s-60s pickup and have looked at a few...in the 12K-15K range.
    I'm reasonably financially secure, and can easily afford to buy a 15K truck...but I just CAN'T pull the trigger.
    It just seems fundamentally wrong to pay THAT MUCH money for a truck that, a mere 10 years ago, was only worth 3K-4K.
    I just can't do it.:(

21. Budget36

Budget36

There lays the issue. If the right person came along with the right amount of cash…as are the vehicles you see for sale, the owners are waiting for the right amount of cash as well;)

22. Inflation has not a damned thing to do with old vehicle prices!!! The problem is GREED!!! Some people try to justify higher asking prices by talking about inflation, but it simply doesn't apply....inflation applies to everyday needs to maintain a household, not hobby items. It IS a matter of supply and demand: the supply of (decent) old stuff keeps shrinking, and the sellers demand higher prices! Why? They're greedy, and think you should be the one to finance their lifestyle or next project. It also pisses me off that some sellers will beat the previous owner into the ground to get a better deal then will "tinker" with their vehicle and try to recoup a shop-worthy hourly rate for time spent on their "hobby". Get a grip people!!! IF you think that '59 Chevy Stepside in your garage is part of your retirement package, think again.... old cars ain't the stock market or savings bonds! This shit SHOULD be the result of your disposable income spending, not part of your financial plan. Greedy people suck!
    End of rant, back to our original programming.....
    PS: And don't bitch about "tuners".... WE are part of the reason young gearheads can't afford old stuff.

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

This is an average , a 1/2 ton pickup would probably be pretty close to $1 per mile
    Same thing my accountant said 3 years ago . Screenshot_2021-11-28-16-54-51.png

hotrodjack33, indyjps and carpok like this.
  24. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I agree to a lot of what said above but inflation is a big part of cost going up on our old vehicles. Go out and buy some parts and pay for shipping today.
    Go to the machine shop and have something reworked today. Anything to do with our Hobby today cost more today.

Blues4U, WalkerMD and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 8 years ago, when I was still working and bringing home a grand a week ( net ), I almost pulled the trigger on this cool little MOPAR fuel truck, but since my driveway was full at the time, and I literally didn't have any room for it, I had to pass on it.

It would have been a cool toy to play with, but as my history with trucks, is riddled with the element of being impractical, I had to listen to my small reservoir of common sense !

I could have bought it for $1100.00, it ran and the pumps worked too ! Could have been a cool rig to modify as a beer wagon and bar- b- que unit for rod runs and other functions. The next week when I went by that place, it was gone ! I just smiled and thought to myself, so glad I wasn't tempted to buy that rig anymore !

IMG_1236 (2).JPG IMG_1237 (2).JPG IMG_1239 (2).JPG IMG_1240 (2).JPG

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

WOW !!!! You must have some willpower. That is too cool for school .

hotrodjack33 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. pkhammer

pkhammer

This '51 Chevy five window was for sale local to me recently for $12.5K. Solid but unfinished amateur restoration. Engine needed a little work I think.
    51chevypickup1.jpg

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You are correct. Of course inflation affects the prices of old vehicles. Used car prices are all way up, including old cars or collector cars or whatever you prefer to call them.

hotrodjack33 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. Remeber, these folks can advertise 17K all day long, does not mean they will get it. Had a rough AD locally, lady wanted 11K to start. It was sitting in a field. Last I saw it had dropped several times online to 6k, I do not think it sold yet. I listed 3 of them for a family friend all in the 25-3500 range around the same time.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.