Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I the Only One ? Aging ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 22, 2021.

1. I keep getting stronger as I've gotten older. I remember when I used to need two hands to bend my erection, Now I can do that with just a thumb and two-finger grip. :eek:

My camera must need an adjustment. I know exactly what I look like but that thing can only make pictures of some old-timer that looks like buzzard bait. :confused:

2. Budget36

Budget36

Wizard, as long as ya don’t start whizzing on your fingers, ya doing good;)

Stogy, 2OLD2FAST, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  3. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Loosely 80% scale M274 "Mule" :) Started when I got a real bargain on some wheels and tires ;)
    Mike

4. I have a portrait of myself in the attic that ages, while I appear to stay the same age.;)

LAROKE, Stogy, Bandit Billy and 6 others like this.
  5. |Tom|

|Tom|

Always keeps those eyes forward and make every day better than the last. Do what you love.

The windshield is always larger than the rear glass for a reason.

6. X-cpe

X-cpe

So far, although some times I need to grab something at the end of the day.

Stogy, wicarnut, CME1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was fine until I was about 75; the last 4 years have been hell. I just bought and installed a four post lift. Greatest thing ever; I can do things under the car again.

Stogy, MMM1693, Davesblue50 and 5 others like this.
  8. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To each his own. Just don’t give in! 8560A676-5C53-4BFC-B205-C82B3DC4518A.jpeg

302GMC, LAROKE, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just "WOW!" That's all I can say...

10. Budget36

Budget36

Kinda like those guys who build a car around a radiator cap!

wicarnut, Stogy, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

But who would have ever thought laying on concrete could be so relaxing;)

Stogy, Deuces and wicarnut like this.
  12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So in all seriousness, can anyone tell us if you can still weld if you have a pacemaker? I don't have one and I hope I never need one, but I want to be fully aware of the issues should this ever occur.

Stogy, wicarnut and Deuces like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary @krylon32 can lend some info.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Electric arc, mig, n tig might give you issues, depending. There's always gas. Been told "it's traditional".
    Next two are not "traditional" but worthy of consideration.
    Henrob - or whatever version it's called these days, since there's like 4+ of them - is a good alternative to the usual Ox/Act Victor/et-al torches.
    & then, there's "water torches". Interesting stuff - but the good one(s) are not cheap!
    Marcus...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Well, its not all bad, look, you no longer need extended warranties, lifetime guaranties, who needs em? not you. Anyone screwin around with you might want to think it over as life in prison no longer carries the same threat and oh yeah, don't buy green bananas

16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Well I'm not in that boat yet, and if I keep doing what the cardiologist tells me to do, I should be able to avoid it. Being forewarned is to de forearmed! And yes I first learned to gas weld 53 or 54 years ago, but I don't have the patience to weld a complete car together with gas. Altho it's still an approved method for chrome moly airframes.

wicarnut likes this.
  17. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Fifty years of dash plaques gives you an idea how old I am and how busy I am. After this wall filled up I started adding frames on the other wall. I have four over there now and it's growing.
    20211128_171952.jpg

DC40, exterminator, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  18. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The older I get, the better I was.

WB69, Tickety Boo, 50Fraud and 6 others like this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind! I won't post a picture of my desk, it's a disaster...

20. Stop it you youngin!!

21. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

Your only as old as the woman you feel.....

WB69, Stogy, Wanderlust and 6 others like this.
  22. All you Young Guy & Gal's Just keep on Trucking You will Get
    To the Great Beyond & Green Pasture & Maybe Catch up to Me.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

23. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I'm considering getting a scooter. Turning 80 next Tax Day & after 27+ years a soldier (25 of them jumping out of airplanes) it has taken a toll on my body. I didn't help it by smoking 3 packs a day for 30 years & drinking "loud mouth lime" almost as long, gave up drinking 41 years ago & smoling 36 when the wife said no smoking in the new house 36 years ago. After two knee surgeries, 2 rt shoulder, 2 left hip, 1 back, 1 left wrist & 1 at the hands of my urologist, I have been over taken by osteo & rheumatoid arthritis. Seems every time I've had something "fixed", some thing worse takes it's place. I've decided to live with what I've got - I know my limitations. As the saying goes "If I knew that I would live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself"! I'll be in the market for a scooter before next Auto Fair.

24. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Check with the VA. Easy to get scooter thru them. Insurance will not cover a scooter unless you need it in the house. But the VA believes you need to be able to get out and do things. I got mine along with scooter lift in 2018. I don't need it all the time, but was sure nice at Disney Land.
    It doesn't take long to get, but I would go ahead and start the process now. Do some research before hand and decide what you would like and the VA will most likely get the one you want. I had a few choices and it all worked out. Ron

Stogy, wicarnut, loudbang and 3 others like this.

25. I'm really glad to hear that our vets have easy access to this!! Go for it... you've earned it!!

LAROKE, Stogy, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

Docs told my dad no. But this was 16-17 years ago. He carried this thing with him that basically said “move away” or not. I think it picked up EMF or some such thing that (at the time) could affect the pacemaker.
    That said, if you end up with a pacemaker, I’d ask the folks who did the install;)

Stogy, wicarnut, 03GMCSonoma and 2 others like this.
  27. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Not feeling my age so much as feeling my left foot, sort of. Back damage has led to not much if any feeling in my left foot. Turns out its not all bad! Dropped the buggy spring and the weight jacker on my left foot today.

Got to the hospital, after wrapping it up myself, as the nail was only hanging on by a tiny little bit. Bleeding like a stuck pig, the triage nurse asked who drove me there. I did, I answer, cause it doesn't hurt.

PA looks at it. He's trying not to hurt me. I told him, don't worry about it I don't have much feeling there.

He asks, are you diabetic? No, it's due to back damage. 3rd time by now telling someone that.

So he continues and cleans under the nail and leaves it in place to protect the nail bed for as long as it holds on, then puts the start of a bandage on it. Next person in is a 20s something nurse, whose job it is to finish the cleaning and bandaging. Same story.

By the time I got out of there, I had a bandage almost to my ankle. I tried to show her how to use gauze and tie the ends off, no tape required. Nope.

That bandage will stay on til morning. I've already redone it the way my mom, who was a nurse from the 40s on, did it. Now it's not going to fall off.

Bottom line, finding the bright side of a damaged back, is I have no pain where the toe got damaged. And nothing was broken!

28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 70 I pole vaulted out of bed to start the coffee and read this thread this morning.
    Just closed my business and retired from a 49 year career working on large tonnage refrigeration/boilers and millwright work. Loosing those headaches made me 10 years younger!!!
    At 96 my dad bitches about my 93 year old mom insisting he use his walker...he says 'it makes me look old!' that is when he can hear her...
    He wants to live to be 110...I keep telling him that makes me 84 that is just crazy to even think about
    I got good genes on my side I guess....

Budget36, LAROKE, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When you start using a walker, people will be nice to you. Opening doors for you and making sure you find your car in large parking lots. And they will always insist you go in front of them in the checkout line.

Stogy, wicarnut, 03GMCSonoma and 2 others like this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We'll have to start calling you Dorian

wicarnut, LAROKE, Stogy and 4 others like this.