Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inverted Model A Crossmember for AV8?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlyinA, Nov 27, 2021.

1. FlyinA

FlyinA

Has anyone done the old way of fabricating a center crossmember for an AV8 using an upside-down A rear crossmember?

How did you mount your transmission and pedals to it? Are there any old pics of a chassis with this?

2. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think an F1 crossmember is a popular era-specific choice. I haven’t heard of an inverted rear crossmember. Where did you read about it?

3. FlyinA

FlyinA

I saw it mentioned briefly on an old thread on here first, then I read on Kustomrama that the Niekamp roadster originally had one for its rear engine mount.

Naturally I went out and looked at a rear cross member and it definitely looks plausible, but I haven’t been able to find an example .

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

an inverted 26,27 T rear cross member might be another choice, not quite as deep , and plenty strong

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Seems like a curious way to get that done but stranger things have been done.

Personally I'd stick with a tried and true method of putting it together but if you go a less traditional route share your progress.

av8.JPG

mgtstumpy and sko_ford like this.
  6. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Found this just searching around. Niekamp Roadster. Sure looks like it could have been a cut down rear crossmember…
    3A8D832B-128B-4F06-9AEB-FCABF8D2D13D.jpeg

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not seeing any advantage to flippign a rear crossmember to use under the trans unless you are using a later trans with a tail shaft mount or if you want to set the engine a bit lower in the frame for some reason. Looking at the photo in post 6 "some reason" is that the front mounts are set somewhat lower than stock mounts would be in most cases and with the deep channel the engine was lower to clear the hood. In this shot it looks like the engine sat a lot lower in the frame than we are usually used to these days.
    AMBRBillNiekamps29roadster2-th.jpg

8. FlyinA

FlyinA

It’s also might be worth noting the frame under that roadster is a ‘27 Essex rather than a Ford.
    Maybe there wouldn’t be an advantage to do it now with our accessibility to options, but maybe before in “ye ol golden era” it was more viable

9. adam401

adam401

This is interesting ibe never heard of it done but I love old tricks like this. Repurposing early parts is what I love about hotroding

10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I built a crossmember out of 2" square tubing that mounts ahead of the stock center crossmember and mounted the master cylinder and solenoid on it. For the pedals I used a bracket to mount the stock pedals to a V8 transmission the Model A vendors sell. c4.jpg c3.jpg IMG_0436.jpg

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

never heard of it... but i like it !
    they used to be everywhere...

12. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

My brother did it on his roadster I will see if I can find some pics. I have a f100 and pedals if you end up wanting to go that route

13. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Here is a pic. I think he mainly did it cause he didn’t have a F1 at the time. It turned out slick used some model t rails I think to strengthen it up and use for the actual mount.
    1DD61E64-43AB-4F42-B4BD-4B0B32C7331D.jpeg 12BCE055-114A-419C-A678-F6F1D6EB245A.jpeg

Blues4U, irishsteve and mgtstumpy like this.
  14. Looks like the stock "A" cross member flipped over. Nice Idea never considered doing that.

15. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I agree, that looks like a center crossmember

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice job!

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal