Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need Help Identifying This Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psycho Deville, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Hey Gang,

Can anyone identify this intake? I believe it to be ThickStun but it's hard to tell because the logo is distorted. It's set up for a 21 Stud Flathead and has all characteristics of being early. Intake1 .jpeg Intake2.jpeg Intake3 .jpeg

adam401, catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

3. cs39ford

cs39ford

It’s a hexagon tool. 0AA84490-560E-4962-B772-F8B0F97FECA3.jpeg 67E0897D-16A8-4E9F-9829-E9A53632857F.jpeg

adam401, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The intake you have is definitely a Hexagon Tool. You can always tell because the carbs mount backwards on these intakes. The obliterated printing at the front of the intake you have shown should read "Patented 1947". The Hexagon Tool name should be present in the center of the intake between the two carb mounts in very fine lettering. It looks like the intake has been polished a long time ago and the name was likely removed when the intake was polished.

adam401, Psycho Deville and catdad49 like this.

5. Yep! Sure is.. Thanks, Arik and CS. I have no experience or thoughts on these? I find it interesting they mounted the carbs backwards to run the original generator mount. Does anyone you know have one of these and what is their thoughts regarding its performance?

adam401 likes this.
  6. cs39ford

cs39ford

They run like the other 2x2 intakes. They have the heat ports. The racing ones had no heat ports. Performance was ok

7. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

In all my years of fudging around with flathead speed parts, I really can't recall ever seeing one of these intakes being used on a street driven hot rod. The big thing would be trying to fabricate the carburetor linkage. It looks to be complicated.

I know that Don Sullivan and Andy Hotton cast and sold these intakes in the early 1950's when they ran their speed shop in Detroit Michigan, for a short period of time. You do see a few of these intakes still around at the big swap meets like Hershey , so a good number of these had to been cast and sold.

Psycho Deville and adam401 like this.
  8. adam401

adam401

It looks like youd have to do a linkage to a bell crank to reverse the direction from pull to push. Do-able. Pretty neat.

Psycho Deville likes this.
  9. El Mirage Garage

El Mirage Garage

Huh…I’ve never seen one of those!

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they were used in boats, but i believe the first use was on an indy car with front drive--engine mounted backwards.