Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hotrods vs trailer queens

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl_William, Nov 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Tell me you have a small thing.. without telling me you have a small thing

twenty8 and Joe Blow like this.
  2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I used to take my Galaxie to a local show, about 15 miles away. The organizer asked me to bring it with the period Blue Streak slicks and uncorked, and it has 5.14 gears. So I haul it in, and my old buddy who is totally Chebbrainwashed and drove his about a half mile to the show is guiding cars thru the gate, and gives me sh$$ about my "trailer queen". Then I started it and drove it in, and he shut up pretty quick lol

3. Fordors

Fordors

I say the whole thing is horse shit, Fred (neither one) never said it. First off there were two Fred’s, the uncle ran Offenhauser Engineering building high end race engines and components and passed away almost 50 years ago. I doubt he had any interest in such a statement. His nephew Fred was the guy that manufactured Offenhauser speed equipment and although he was probably more tuned in to hot rods vs street rods why would he alienate the guys that ran Chevy engines and were potential customers?

4. I just use my California duster and my crying child.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I doubt the folks he had in mind, that you think he would be alienating, are the guys who were buying his cams....

6. hahahaha Now THATS funny hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. Fordors

Fordors

Which Offenhauser ground cams? I never heard of a cam with the Offenhauser brand name.
    Speedway’s catalog has pistons, cams and a few other things listed as Offenhauser but I think they are using that name strictly under a business agreement.

9. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

So, do you whip the kid with the California duster first to make him or her cry?:D

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  10. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Someday I hope to see troll posts get zero comments so they just sit there, alone.

X38, 40LUV, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  12. RmK57

RmK57

While “ boring “ or “ belly button “ . The tried and true 350,350 -9” combo is bulletproof economical way to get good reliable horsepower. Is it “ boring” yeah sure.

You hit the nail right on the head with that comment. Luckily quite a few these days at car shows leave their hoods closed with that combo.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

talk to all those guys in '55 or '56 who HAD flatheads in their hotrods and saw a the chevy engine and INSTANTLY ditched the flathead in favor of the chevy. Many of those early hot rods were finely crafted show worthy cars and just might have had a can of wax in the trunk. Most of the hot rods I saw in early magazines didn't look like today's rat rods. You know I though about not replying to your ignorant comment...I just could not resist.

14. Before this gets locked, I have to wonder. Back when the original comment was made could have been when Flatheads were plentiful and cheapish to build, the 265 came out and only show car people could afford them (and were new to the scene). Funny part is the Flathead is way more expensive to build power from and is the show piece now.

I have both engines in various cars (plus others), so I have no real axle to grind....I just thought it was funny.

15. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Amen to that Brent.

16. I wanna slather one in Red Oxide (red lead if i can find it) and keep a can of wax and a duster in the trunk. I got the duster never used it and I can probably find a can of wax.

I was gonna build one with a 413 wedge but I know from reading a lot of information on the web that it can only be a hot rod if it makes less than 125 horse. :rolleyes:

17. Is it ok that i have a chevy mill in my old chevy?

18. squirrel

squirrel

My brain read Offenhauser as Iskendarian. I'm getting old.

milwscruffy likes this.
  19. Only if you give it a Hardon flathead conversion. :rolleyes:

scotty t and Sonofabob like this.
  20. Blake 27

Blake 27

And he only drives it about a 1/2 mile at a time!

Joe Blow likes this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I hate hearing people yell, "TRAILER QUEEN" when someone pulls their hot rod into a car show.
    It shows their mentality.
    I know a couple of people who do this and they're the ones who bring a beater to a hot rod car show.

22. I drive beaters. Paid for by building or working on “trailer queens” for other folks.
    The belief that both are at some kind of odds against each other or somehow can’t exist together in this hobby or a made up rivalry between them is a concept I will probably never grasp.
    Usually the ones complaining on either side suffer from some form of insecurity

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Joe Blow and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Fact is both flatheads and small block Chevys make damn fine hot rod engines in the hands of a savvy builder. Like art and music, I’m no expert but I know what I like and I like a lot of cars across the spectrum of “hot rods” and while I don’t particularly care how they get where they are going, drivers get extra credit in my book.

Joe Blow and mad mikey like this.
  24. Karl thinks he's funny.

Just Gary and Joe Blow like this.
  25. mickeyc

mickeyc

So several years ago I was working in Kinston Tennessee. Went to small weekend show at
    a small mountain town nearby, the town was small not the mountain. A fellow unloaded one
    of those glass card that were somewhat popular at the time. It vaguely resembled a 33 or 34
    Ford roadster. I think they were speedsters or some such moniker. Any way as he rolled it
    out of his enclosed trailer his wife or what ever was sweeping the street where ever it was
    to be rolled. As he rolled SLOWLY down the block to a parking spot she was hustling
    along in front of the vehicle sweeping as much debris and stuff from its travel path.
    Then she swept the spot chosen to park thoroughly before he backed the thing in.
    Everyone was laughing at the couple, but he thought they were expressing admiration.
    The woman looked quite embarrassed by the whole affair as she brushed away what ever
    small debris made it past her street cleaning. I thought it was the most absurd thing
    I had ever seen regarding street rodding.

WiredSpider likes this.
  26. My trailer queen after what was supposed to be the most epic burnout of all time! But ended up twisting the drive shaft into 2 pieces and stranding my ass on the side of the road. Only time any of my cars have been on a trailer after I built them, IMG_6892.jpg Period.

Joe Blow and mad mikey like this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is a debate that people new to hot rodding have.

rod1, -Brent-, bowie and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.