Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hose clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

So all my buddys think im crazy. But im looking for someone who makes the older style hose clamps. Now i have some old ones but they're kinda crusty. The ones im after basicly look like the normal new ones except the head is round with a screw driver slot. Anyone have an idea where to look? Ive been googling with no luck. I always seem to find factory original style tower ones but not the ones im after.

2. I get mine at swap meets.

3. low down A

low down A

mac's and other vendor's sell them but they are pricey. you even think about using them for hose clamp's and they strip out and distort made for showing in the display case

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I guess I am nuts as well as I try to buy nos ones when I find them. Guy at the swap cleaned out a old dealer and had a bunch of these wittek made in Chicago image.jpg

6. squirrel

squirrel

they don't seem to have the type I think he's looking for....which is the older style aftermarket worm clamp, but without the hex around the screw head, that modern ones have.

I have a few old ones I've taken off cars. I totally get why he wants them.

clamps.jpg

7. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Yes!!!! Squirrel!!!!! Thems the ones!!!! I have saved some good old ones too but they would look too crusty for what im doin. Just looking for some newish ones

8. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't find any on ebay either....good luck in your search

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. vortec710

vortec710

I have a few of them that I have picked up at swap meets and junk yards in the past, they usually clean up on the wire wheel and / or buffer as they were stainless. I try to buy these as they work well, made in USA and can be purchased cheaply used vs new..if you can find them. They should not strip if used properly.

1933_willys_77 and Algoma56 like this.
  10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The clamps on the left are ideal Corp called HY Gear and a similar one is Breeze Corp called seal jet on the right. Maybe the names will yield you better results they are cool image.jpg

Algoma56, brigrat and squirrel like this.
  11. Hren59

Hren59

Those are the good ones

12. choptop40

choptop40

continentaljohn got the best stuff....

continentaljohn likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

these just came in the mail....now, to find some of the right size, with the modern screws, that I can put these screws into

clamps.jpg

what silly things we do

14. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

I have a friend that is a airplane mechanic. He keeps me supplied in hose clamps & AN fittings & steel braided hose. They aren't allowed to reuse them on airplanes & they are high quality stainless steel. Best hose clamps I have ever used.

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  15. Ahhhhh, I hate you guys......I have more on the way (I had a few already).

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the details and the efforts made by so many here.
    Some hot rods and customs are very effective time machines. They'll give you that old time feeling. But looking at an otherwise perfectly traditional car and seeing modern hose clamps (or other modern components) is akin to Christopher Reeves pulling the modern-day dime out of his pocket in the movie Somewhere in Time.
    It slams you right back to the present. Dream over.

Country Joe likes this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Try finding old square headed bolts. The search is endless.

18. I have saved all of the hose clamps I came across over the years. You never know when they will be needed.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I changed some heater hoses yesterday, under the dash. Tried to reuse the wire spring clamps, which I think were original Struggled, even with the right pliers, to get them in place. Gave up and used worm clamps.

A friend of mine wanted a certain, raised marking on bolt heads. He made a reverse die. Then made a cylindrical holder to hold the bolts. Then attached the die to a another heavy cylinder. Then a long pipe over the top of of cylinder holding the bolt. Then went up on the roof and dropped the weighted die down the pipe onto the bolt head. Go back down, reload, repeat.

Yes, I asked why not just smack it with a hammer or use a press. Don't remember his reasoning, but he had one. Exercise maybe.