Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Would you? Anyone near Wixom, MI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShaggyCRMC, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I don’t get the problem of driving in the snow! A few years back, while I know it’s not Michigan, I got snowed in in Iowa, while looking at a car! Mason City had the largest snowfall in it’s history…and this Southern boy was there with his one ton, slick tired, truck! Go figure! I had 12 inches on snow packed on top of my truck! I had a medial emergency and had to stay in my motel for a day. When I got out to head home…..the highways were clear! One thing I learned about the folks up North…..they have snow removal equipment! And they get the main and even side streets clear in no time! If that snow happened in Muskogee……we might still be snowed in! Lol

Go for it, if the car checks out!

Bones

2. squirrel

squirrel

when I went on that trip in the Wedge last year, it was snowing in Minnesota, the roads were clear, I didn't have any trouble. But when I was in Texas and the snow was thick around Amarillo, I spun off the road (the car was a real pile, and handled very badly unless conditions were perfect). So yeah, worry about the places that don't get snow so often!

3. Around here we can go from 75 degrees to 30 and snowing the next. But yes, we do have snow removal. In fact, our bike path in town is often plowed BEFORE thee actual roads are! (fitness community)

alanp561 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep, Squirrel, we were on the same highway at the same time….going opposite ways! We saw tons of spun out cars and trucks! But we just kept going and still made 2000 miles in 48 hours! Even the rental guy was impressed with our mileage! He had to double check! Lol

Bones

alanp561 likes this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life and I personally would not attempt a drive home in a '50's car on Dec 10th unless the car was one I knew really well AND the forecast was unseasonably warm. Driving on snow isn't too bad when you have a lot of experience doing it, for a first-timer in a 50's car that would be a hell of a learning curve. Ice is a lot tougher, and you have to deal with guys with new cars that still want to do 15 over the speed limit while you're trying to be careful.

If the car is the right one, I can see why you'd want it, and the drive would be a great adventure, in early May maybe. But December weather in Michigan can quite literally kill you. I think the people cheering you on are only doing so because they have nothing to lose. I like the idea of going to see the car, buying it, and maybe storing it until spring, maybe the seller would store the car for you until then for an agreed-upon price, and when you come back to pick it up you'll already have license plates and insurance and a title in your name, which would help. Hagerty has a great AAA-like roadside assistance program specifically for old cars which would be ideal for a trip like this.

6. phat rat

phat rat

I have to chuckle listening to some of you guys who think driving a 50's car in the winter is something to be avoided. Do you somehow think we in Michigan put the cars on blocks in the fall and got them back out in the spring? They didn't get rusted from sitting on blocks they were driven. But then as Squirrel said if you don't know how to drive in bad weather stay off the road

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Having lived most of my life in southern Michigan, the only time snow is a problem is when its snowing or sleet otherwise they have the roads cleared quickly with nice heavy layers of salt which makes it look like everyone owns white cars. Nobody has chains down state. Just need to make sure you have a working heater.

alanp561 and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. ShaggyCRMC

ShaggyCRMC

I’m from Md, I grew up driving in the snow. Alas, it took to long for me to decide/make accommodations and someone else made an offer on the car. The search continues!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

my dad, when I was a baby, in Minneapolis

1962.12cB#14-Fred-shoveling.jpg

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That sucks on missing out on the car. I have wanted a 53-54 for a while now......finally found a decent one locally and bought it. They don't come up for sale very often.

Boneyard51 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  11. Can’t say I have ever looked for a car in Michigan living in the south. But, as an example, my brother that lives in the Detroit are just sold his 54 Belair hardtop to a friend in Oklahoma. But, that car was from Texas and never saw the salt and crap up north so was an exception to many northern cars.

My one experience buying a car sight unseen from up north was a 52 Chevy from the Chicago area. Car looked great and was a daily driver for the guy I got it from. But, once I got it, I found more rust than described. I did fly up and drive it home because I am always up for an adventure driving this stuff. It did fine on the trip home. My only issue was that the airline lost my suitcase with my tools and license plate. So, thankful I didn’t need them on the trip home.

Sorry you missed out on that one. Maybe the next one that comes up will be from a better location.

12. It was great to converse with you Shaggy!

I am also sorry you missed out on this one, but I think there was a reason & maybe you won't know that reason until you find the next one! The car in my avatar I bought a few months ago from Michigan, but it spent its whole life in California & Texas, so it is 100% rust-free. Bought from a flipper up there.

Living in Northern Ohio, I have seen what the weather & salt/chemicals do to our great cars... it is really a shame! That is one of the many reasons that I keep everything (including my transporting trucks) clean & inside the heated building all the time.

Hope to be able to help you with the transport on the next one!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

13. If the Powerglide is in good shape, it'd be ok, if the Powerglide goes out it'll be hard to find a rebuilder in the hartland.

14. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Doesn't look like he's getting the car.

15. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

16. Budget36

Budget36

I think @bill’s auto works

summed it up:)

Bill's Auto Works likes this.