Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maxresdefault (2).jpg

:rolleyes:...ready for the daily drive with the crazies...

Oh what fun this would be...bring on the back forty...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Fauxtina? Just paint the damn thing. o_O

35cab likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

547735_333685886723033_452857556_n.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mines-field-1934-road-race-l-a-airport.683088/

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015/10/lynn-bird-assembled-terrific-album-of.html?m=1

:rolleyes:...Al Gordon was the driver of the original racer...I guess the other alternative would be full on unworked paint with some gravel and dirt road seasoning...I'd gladly offer such a service complete with Goggles and Helmet...

The Graphics are spot on...as is the overall Racer itself...I get what your saying that they tried to hard to make it look barn found...however it sure beats looking at street rods and radial tires everywhere...

Those racers certainly were influential in the big scheme of things...total Highboy in the face...and it wasn't Ford specific either...all the big names were there participating...

4. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

27742AA5-8E10-4120-90D6-F0BC5AD75DCA.jpeg One of my drivers . The way my dad would of built them .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary welcome to the Hamb go back into your post and select more options and make your Image Full rather than Thumbnail...it warrants Full Size...;)

Is it Bowtie through and through? I see a smallblock, are you running the matched Rad shell to the Body...What frame is that?...parallel springs?

Six Ball and gary macdonald like this.
  6. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Thanks ! Too old to get these computer skills .
    1930 Chevrolet sitting on a 34 ford frame and running gear. Removed the 21 stud flathead for a freshen up and replaced it with a sbc and a offy style bellhousing to the original 34 trans and rear . 1940 juice brakes , 41 ford radiator with a Chevrolet grill shell made to fit .

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You nailed it...yeah there's a lot to learn...I don't know all the features either but the Thumbnails and Full Image are pretty straightforward...and I use both but us oldies like it full on...;)

The Hotrod sounds like a great period mix...share a couple more pics...

Was it an old Hotrod and you just brought it to the road again or just a inspired salute to the Good Ole Days?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Six Ball likes this.
  8. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

AB351250-54D0-4BB3-B1FE-3F3248E79840.jpeg 232C39F3-3ED4-4619-8374-A0849AB461D2.jpeg
    Thebody was delivered in 3 55 gal drums . All the sheet metal was rolled up and in them . To make matters worse, they had some 4 dr pieces in the mix . As I started to assemble it I realized thatit would be easier to do it once , so since all I had lying around was a 34 ford , thats what it was built on . 20 plus years ago . No wood in the chevy anymore , just steel . One of the most solid cars I have . The flathead has been rebuilt but Im having fun with the reliability of the sbc .

brEad, patmanta, Jalopy Joker and 4 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Delivered in 3 drums now that's hard to imagine but its a Chevy so with no structure I can just imagine it being roll-able and that's just what they did...sometimes those extra pieces can come in handy...that is once you figure out they're not coupe parts...did wood come in the drums to help with the steel substitutes...

It looks like a heck of a fun Jalopy Hotrod...

AHotRod, deadbeat and Six Ball like this.
  10. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

No wood at all . I started assembly by matching the tack ( nail ) holes in 2 pieces of sheet metal that would be attached to each other via the wood frame . I soon learned why they were called coach builders . Once I had the pieces that I thought were in correct alignment I used a Miller spot welder . I made many panels consisting of just 2 or 3 small pieces , at this point it started to look like normal doors , quarter panels , cowl pieces , etc . I used s10 manual window regulators and dispatcher Jeep window glass .
    I used an old race car cage ( some was removed ) and angle iron to attach the shell to .

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It looks like fun. Putting a Chevy body back together again is second only to fixing Humpty Dumpty.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You wood know eh...:p

I salute you fellas...it's well worth it and thanks for bringing them back...;)

Six Ball and gary macdonald like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2018-Hot-Rod-Hillclimb-21-of-70.jpg

:rolleyes:...T N' A works for me...

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It's a calling. I was supposed to be a priest but I bought a Chevy. :rolleyes:

brEad, Jet96, MMM1693 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

deadelvis1.jpg

:rolleyes:...Hard to beat the early to mid 40s High Steppin Stance and the aftermarket windshield...I'm thinking Hallock...:confused:...but I always mix them up...:D...really just so compliment these Hotrods...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

17. Karl_William

Karl_William

And I get shit on for thinking outside the box.

osage orange likes this.
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Every Hot Rod I've built is Outside-the-box, one must accept that it will not be popular with the run-of-the-mill-masses, of which I always design and build for my desires, not others.

If you think it's tough around here today, you should have been here 20 years ago when grown men cried and left.

Just design and build with class and good taste.

19. badshifter

badshifter

The HAMB is specifically, desirably and by design, “inside the box” of Traditional Hot Rods and Customs. And if you are referring to the Hartley’s Garage Coupe as deserving of receiving shit, that car Defines “The Box”.
    Keep on not getting it.

Tman and Joe Blow like this.
  20. Karl_William

Karl_William

No I didn't mean that, I love all the cars here!
    I didn't mean that at all, you guys sure like twisting shit. I love all the cars here, I'm just saying I agree with OP about seeing the same stuff all the time. I guess one of my builds was just a little too far off center.

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This place is about a short period of time inside a box. The tradition moved on and got run over by a rice rocket.

Stogy and Joe Blow like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

188262813_4059066654157233_7133585874361464259_n.jpg

osage orange, EVL401, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

621013-hallocktop.jpg

:rolleyes:...not the first appearance here for this Hotrod...always worth a revisit...

OLLIN, Jet96, patmanta and 7 others like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That looks like one where they turned a frame around to use the the kick up to lower it. If my frame had not been cut off when I got it I might have tried that.
    On the one above I love the look of home made painted reversed wheels especially on Ford banjo axles. Just stuck deep in my memory, what's left of it.:eek:

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the Fast and Furious wave is a forever evolving force the post 65 Hotrod (Street Rod) and Custom movements are still surging along with the RR movements...

We've of course made a choice to remain in a past era of the Hotrod Custom movement with new builds only acceptable if the themes or restorations meet 1965 and older inspirations...the period reaches back to the beginning of go fast so short but still a fair chunk of Time to play around with...

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

34345958_2031195473811586_3664170199470309376_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Heavily modded under trunk pan stretching possibly forward under the body under the frame along with the Bobbed rear fenders distance this Hotrod from its more typical brethren...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    osage orange, Jet96, patmanta and 6 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a clean machine, such a beauty of a capture...and keeping an eye on the exhaust notes was a simple glance left or right of course...:)

Jim Bouchard, Sancho and Six Ball like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It was what it was and this is what it is. They have a few things in common. The amazing thing about the HAMB in the vast amount information and thousands of pictures one spot. It would not have been this successful without a time frame of some sort.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I was alluding is albeit a small section of Time Historically there's plenty to keep the mind happy and the creative juices flowing...and yes Ryan said similar to your sentiments when the Stagecoaches and Hemi Toilets came around it was easy to cap the Timeframe...

Six Ball likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada