Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Roadster - Fendered ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Nov 26, 2021.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Trying to decide …. Do I full fender my roadster. I have all the pieces to do it . I know I can put them on and take them off again. I’d have to body work them to get the look. Still have to lower it.
    And pics you want to post of traditional fendered roadsters will be appreciated

8E8347E6-F4FF-43A5-8943-862F481B16CE.jpeg

Lil32, hfh, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  2. I would do fenders. Search the Early Times club. Lots of great photos of full fendered roadsters.

3. That’s a sexy car just as it sits.

my vote is for full fenders.

Lil32 likes this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d drop it a few inches and go without fenders for now. It looks like it’s right out of the 40’s.

'34 Ratrod likes this.

5. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Nice car. I am a full-fendered fan.

Lil32 likes this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Based on your picture I would add the fenders.

Lil32 and Hollywood-East like this.
  7. oldsman41

oldsman41

I would lower it some but that is really a hot rod to me.

8. adam401

adam401

I just pulled the fenders off a survivor roadster that I'm the 3rd owner of and have the original bill of sale to. I hot rod everyrhing. I love your car. If it were mine id pull the side aprons off, put a 33-36 axle in the front and a T spring in the back and run it. And maybe a 7.00 or 7.50 tire in the rear

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

A vote for full fendered!!

My '29 roadster on '32 rails is fenderless, but my '32 roadster will be full fendered...

bwroadster.jpg CIMG7772.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0017.PNG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_6687.JPG IMG_6862.JPG

10. Budget36

Budget36

11. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I like fenders

Lil32 likes this.
  12. Yep on the fenders.

Lil32 likes this.
  13. Anderson

Anderson

I struggled with keeping an A frame on my roadster project because I would like to have the option of putting fenders on it…went ‘32 frame instead. If I had kept an A frame, I would absolutely have had a set of fenders and running boards/aprons ready to go.

Lil32 likes this.
  14. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I love them as well with or without fenders.

15. Lil32 likes this.
  16. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

You won't regret full fenders!

Lil32 likes this.
  17. 31 steve

31 steve

I kept the fenders on mine but I like them either way, mounted my taillights to the rear pan so I could run without fenders later on. mike's 1.jpg

Lil32, alfin32 and hfh like this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

Where you live could have a huge effect on how much you would drive the car without fenders. A car like your car wouldn't be much fun looking at it being parked because you don't want to drive it with out the fenders but you might have with the fenders.
    If driving your car is important to you, I suspect it would get driven more often if it has fenders. I know some are going to tell you they dive their cars everywhere without fenders, but most don't live in Connecticut like you do. Look at the number of guys that say yes to fenders compared to the number of guys that say no fenders.

Your car, your choice, I think its pretty cool either way, but if it was my car, it would have fenders. Gene

19. Squablow

Squablow

I think that car would look really great with fenders, not that it's bad without. I like them either way but I think I'd prefer fenders on if that were my car.

Lil32 likes this.
  20. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Another vote for fenders.

Lil32 likes this.
  21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I drove the absolute snot out of my first '31 roadster, but being that I lived in California I almost never had to worry about rain.

Until one year when I drove the car out to Billetproof in Antioch and got caught in a random downpour. [​IMG]

Now, driving straight in the rain was okayish, but any left turns and that the front left front wheel was spitting rooster tails of water straight 'atcha face. Those long sweeping left bends on the freeway were quite the experience! :D

Still, it was a ton of fun and one of life's memorable moments. My girlfriend even passed out on the ride home under a pile of soggy blankets and jackets. Too many cocktails helped that though I think! ;)

loudbang, Hollywood-East and AHotRod like this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you're planning to do a SHIT LOAD of lowering, the way it sits now, you have to leave it fenderless. The gap between the top of the tire and where the rear fender would be mounted looks to be about 10-12 inches...and even with a bigger tire, that's a LOT of distance to make up wtihout a different rear suspension or channeling the body.
    [​IMG]
    Right now, the roadster looks very much like a traditional hot rod. To get it to look like a full-fendered traditional hot rod is gonna take some work JMHO

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    SPEC, Lil32, ClarkH and 1 other person like this.
  23. clem

clem

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. Paul, lower both the front and rear of your roadster, and then drive the hell out it. I, too had my roadster out in the rain, but it gives you good stories to talk about later.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. adam401

adam401

I live in CT. Heres my pile of fenders ready to go up in the attic of the garage haha. I couldnt resist
    16380181782419030236871347173881.jpg

They do however look great with fenders as well

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  26. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Roadsters look great either way. Fenderless is more of a Hot rod look. Mine have been hanging from the roof beams for eight years. Most of my driving is within a hundred miles of home base and have only gone through one good downpour. I watch the weather and if there's a slight chance of rain the top and hood go on. Since you asked for opinions, If I were you, paint the fenders now so you have them and run it that way. Like you said you can always take them off.

27. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can look good either way. But I agree with @hotrodjack33, in its current configuration the gap between stock fenders and tires would be too much. Look at how closely the tires fit the fenders in the example pictures.

Lower the car or run fenderless. And of course, there is also option 3--cycle fenders!

hotrodjack33 and GordonC like this.
  28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I vote for option 3! Helps to keep some of the crap off the sides of the car, unless you love to clean them of course...

20211026_175053.jpg

Stogy, hotrodjack33, hfh and 2 others like this.
  29. I have run my '30 A coupe without fenders for 5 years. I always planned to put them on but I wanted to run it fenderless for a while because I loved that look also. I have just finished prepping the fenders and boards for paint so maybe this winter I will get them painted and then install them. One negative thing about full fenders though is....it is a lot easier to work on the car without fenders and I don't have to worry about dropping a wrench on them. Installing them involves lifting the body which may be awkward but I am going ahead with installing them because I really like the look of full fendered cars.

loudbang likes this.