Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Flathead Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jeff34, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Jeff34

Jeff34

Starting to look like my idea of a hot rod…
    IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1866.JPG

JalopyJimbo, Tim, brEad and 9 others like this.
  2. Jeff34

Jeff34

I have an issue that I'm trying to track down, and could use a little guidance/help. Last Sunday as I was driving home from an event across town, I made a right hand turn, and the car turned HARD right much more than I had turned the wheel. Startled me, but I got it straightened up and home. I lifted the front off the floor and tried pushing and pulling to see if something was obvious, but I didn't find anything. I'm pulling the Tie Rod and Drag Link to clean up all the parts, replace the seals, cups, and springs to see if that makes an improvement. I'll adjust the steering box (again) to see if that helps and check toe-in (again). Other thoughts on what might be causing this? I know bump-steer could be contributing, but there wasn't a vertical motion component during the turn. Could just the roll of the body cause this type of reaction?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Jeff34

Jeff34

Tail.jpg Also got the tail light mount cut down to size and mounted to the back with the plate.

Greenblade, Outback, brEad and 8 others like this.
  4. Jeff34

Jeff34

Additional information on steering. With the Tie Rod disconnected, the play in the front wheel is significant. If I turn the wheel half way to the right stop, and pull the back of the wheel out, it moves significantly more than expected. I tightened both of the adjustments on the steering box VERY tight, and it still happens. I think something is happening inside the steering box, so I'm going to pull it and tear it down. I think that's fine since I need to replace the gear oil that's in it with some cornhead grease. Of course, if anybody has another suggestion, please let me know since I'm not looking forward to tearing the box down...

5. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

I had a similar experience on an old farm hack I picked up, had excessive play in the king pins

6. Jeff34

Jeff34

I decide to take a deep breath and check things out a bit more last night before I pulled the box out. Looks like a lot of work, and if I can avoid it, that would be great. I disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm. When I pushed on the pitman arm, it didn't have too much slack, but I noticed that the steering wheel would move in and out as I pushed harder allowing the pitman arm to move further. It took more force to drive the worm axially, which might be why it happened during the turn. I took the worm adjuster screw out, and noticed that the screw wasn't landing on the flat on the upper race housing, but rather on the O.D. Whoever put the box together didn't get them lined up. So I rotated the race housing until the flat was aligned with the hole, put the screw back in, and adjusted the axial play. Now the movement of the Pitman arm is minimal. I reconnected the drag link, and movement of the wheel is minimal. Now I just need to get the rubber seals for each end of the tie rod, reassemble everything, and adjust toe. Hopefully this solves the problem, and I don't need to pull the box to figure this out. Fingers crossed.

Jet96, brEad, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  7. Nobey

Nobey

Jeff, you might try moving the wheel back and forth just enough to start everything moving. If you
    can have someone move the wheel for you, while you watch every component start to move, by doing
    this you will see what is slack, this is done while the wheels are on the ground. You might have a broken
    spring in the tie rod end. Next jack each wheel up and grab the tire top and bottom moving it to determine
    king pin play. Good luck.....

Stogy, loudbang, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

Nice solid lookin roadster, congrats. I believe that red horn is supposed to sound like a cow, have you "honked' it yet?

Stogy, loudbang and Jeff34 like this.
  9. Jeff34

Jeff34

Thanks, Nobey. I pulled all the springs out and cleaned them up. They are all intact. No play in the kingpins. There is a bit of wear on the rod end balls, but not bad. Hoping that the end play on the box will "fix" it. Should know more when the new seals arrive and I can grease it back up and drive it. I'd also like to check to see what the caster angle is. I know it can't be changed, but maybe there's something funky going on at the wishbone mount.

Thanks RV. Yup, sounds like a cow!

Tim, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nobey

Nobey

Sounds good Jeff. Some other things to check would be the wishbone ball, some have springs on the cap and
    can come loose. Look at the U bolts for tightness and make sure the spring didn't shift and the spring bolt is
    still seated in the cross member. Stock wheels can be a problem as they crack around the spokes at the center.
    Lug nuts, axle nuts tight. Something went wrong for sure, so don't trust it until you find it. Are you going to
    pull the box apart and check the sector? Sound like there was a problem with the box assembly. I'm confident
    you'll find the problem, you just have to check everything. Good luck Bud....

Outback, Stogy, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh...Pucker moments...Death Wobble sucks...anything loading metal in shear is worrisome...chasing slop...thou's at a time...Even if the Cars Solid doesn't mean all is A-Ok and your Near Mobile...Boy you're really going Prewar...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Outback, brady1929, Jeff34 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nobey

Nobey

Yeah Stogy it can be frightening, the car sat for a long time and it could be something as simple as a stuck spring
    shackle that let go in the turn.....

13. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Great story enjoyed the read will be following along.
    I’m really glad the deal with the boat and the trip all worked out. A few years ago I made a 600 mile one way, trip with a two place car trailer and a pocket full of cash to buy a couple old cars. Two separate owners and ended up coming home with a empty trailer. Neither car was close to being as advertised what a let down.

Outback, Jet96, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. Jeff34

Jeff34

Removed the top and “refinished” the belt line wood. I was going to fill all the holes and try to make it look “pretty” but I think that would have been too nice. Decide to give it a quick sand and put some cutting board finish and furniture wax on it. I like it. IMG_1891.JPG

Tim, Outback, Vic Walter and 12 others like this.
  15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great deal!---You scored good on that swap!---Wish I had that old bull horn!

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Jeff34

Jeff34

Looking at the axle more closely. I tried to measure caster, and it appears to be 0 degrees. I also noticed that both ends of the axle are angled backwards by a bit. I looked at my 34 pu axle and it’s straight. Bent axle?
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Here’s the right side
    IMG_1939.JPG
    And the left
    IMG_1940.JPG

Outback, Stogy, Nailhead A-V8 and 3 others like this.
  17. Nobey

Nobey

That is not good Jeff. You need a straight axle, you can check them with a straight edge. They also
    make cones with rods that go through the king pin and perch holes so you can see if all four holes
    line up. Most of the axles that you find a swap meets are bent. Also check that wish bone, it too might
    be bent. I will look in the barn today and see if I have a straight A axle for you.....

Carter, Stogy, Jeff34 and 1 other person like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

That last pic shows a bent tie rod. You should replace that immediately. They are not really thick walled tubes, there is a slug in the end to provide support for the threads. Any significant bend like that is a future bend or break point.

19. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

^^it's not just bent but slotted and worn through...axle is bent time to find a dropped axle

20. Jeff34

Jeff34

Pulled out the front end yesterday. Pretty shabby workmanship all around. Once I had it mostly apart I noticed that the spring perch bolts are loose in the axle, and the nuts holding them on aren’t even spring perch nuts, just flat bottom castle nuts. Axle wobbles around on the wishbone. Who does this shitty work on a car?
    Once I get it all apart, I’ll have the axle straightened and put it all back together properly. Hopefully that fixes the steering issues.

JalopyJimbo, Outback, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  21. Jeff34

Jeff34

I got my 16” wires back from powder coating last week and found these on my porch yesterday. 16x6 F and 16x6.5 R. I’ll get them mounted and installed and get you more pics. Excited to see these Blockley’s on the roadster. AB3413CB-DCCC-4F3B-8D07-69A708AC617F.jpeg 55905F65-6BA8-4338-A17B-E728C02FB798.jpeg 640B0A41-A334-49B3-A024-FC729FFFCFE2.jpeg

JalopyJimbo, Tim, Outback and 11 others like this.
  22. 101Scout

101Scout

Great looking roadster! Hopefully straightening the axle will sort out your steering issues. It would look great with a dropped axle or lowered using all old Ford parts with the mechanical brakes. Love it!

Stogy, Nobey and loudbang like this.
  23. Jeff34

Jeff34

851D183C-38F6-436E-88FC-85528930E532.jpeg Got my tyres mounted and installed. Me like!

24. Nobey

Nobey

Man, that's a good looking tire. Time for a test drive.....

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. Jeff34

Jeff34

done! Drives and tracks much better than before. I have caster now and it feels good. Still going to straighten the axle. Took some pics of the stable mates earlier today. 029284D5-4454-41C8-B9B9-B5146A738CF7.jpeg 34E11BD5-2341-4ED3-9B00-62922C709E63.jpeg 20590E89-C5EF-411C-B4D2-673227AFA926.jpeg 403FD80E-37B6-4D5F-9627-D1C82B0B3CDB.jpeg F4B92F89-4D7E-4D4B-AEF7-2EF76813AB83.jpeg 74AA0B4C-E4E8-4D68-BC14-4749A752F1FC.jpeg A215047A-70C7-411E-B09B-2761CFB7C4A1.jpeg

JalopyJimbo, Tim, Outback and 18 others like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet little Jitney now.

Outback, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. Nobey

Nobey

If you put a couple of those shots in black and white, it would look like 1940 Wow..... We must be related Jeff,
    in my barn is a 34 pickup and a Model A roadster. Only difference is your A is running. Ha!

Jeff34 and Stogy like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Like this :)

1.jpeg

Jet96, Nobey, J.Ukrop and 7 others like this.
  29. Jeff34

Jeff34

Had the roadster out for a drive today. Went to the warehouse district for some pics.
    F6AFCAA6-9CCC-4285-8D92-7473F46C60D9.jpeg B7985F2A-DDE2-4311-8F78-1D9B1F0ABD86.jpeg

JalopyJimbo, Tim, wcben and 9 others like this.
  30. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Lookin' good, Jeff!

Nobey likes this.